Heads Up! Recall Notice

Marvinator

Buick Ownership
Buick
According to what I've read, they recall by VIN. go to the Recall site
https://recalls.gm.com
Input your VIN and it will tell you if your car has a recall on it.

If none, I'd still check back every so often.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Thanks for the link!!!

I just checked, and the recall just showed up for mine.

Forcfed93

Buick Newbie
Topeka, KS
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore Convenience FWD
My wife's 2014 just went in for her 3 month inspection/service yesterday and they said the recall did not affect hers. The affected units were manufactured from like July 2013 through January 2014. I'm pretty sure hers was produced later since we bought it in late April.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Has anyone actually been in for the recall, and could tell us exactly where to look on the seat for the "seat hook weld"?

As with most GM recalls this one scares me too.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
OK here's a little more about the recall that I found out.

It only affects Power seats on the Encore. Manual seats are not covered under the recall. If your car has the power drivers seat and the manual passenger seat, then you are still affected, just on the drivers side.

The recall number is: 14340B.

GM expects less than 1% of the involved vehicles will be affected.

It involves an incomplete welds on the front seat front hook bracket. (Power only) If the hook bracket weld is incomplete, it could break away in a high load crash.

If you are worried, and want to check your own car before you take it in, here's how.

-Run the front seat all the way back.
-Get yourself a very powerful flashlight.
-Find the front of the two front seat rails. The weld affected is right under the threaded rod in the seat track. It starts about 1 inch rearward from the mounting bracket for the threaded rod.
-You might have to wipe some of the grease in that area away to see the weld.
- The weld should be a square "U" shape with one side longer than the other.
-Make sure the weld looks smooth and nice with no skips or gaps. No missing metal from the weld.
-Any missing metal or skips or gaps requires a new seat rail frame.

FINALLY- make an appointment with the dealer and get your car looked at by the Technician... ASAP!

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thanks the detail explanation, Dave!

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
If you are worried, and want to check your own car before you take it in, here's how.

-Run the front seat all the way back.
-Get yourself a very powerful flashlight.
-Find the front of the two front seat rails. The weld affected is right under the threaded rod in the seat track. It starts about 1 inch rearward from the mounting bracket for the threaded rod.
-You might have to wipe some of the grease in that area away to see the weld.
- The weld should be a square "U" shape with one side longer than the other.
-Make sure the weld looks smooth and nice with no skips or gaps. No missing metal from the weld.
-Any missing metal or skips or gaps requires a new seat rail frame.

Trouble locating just where you are speaking of....
so I took a few photos....

IMG_9405.jpg
IMG_9406.jpg
IMG_9408.jpg
IMG_9410.jpg

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
About 1 to 1 1/5" behind the large rivet holding that L bracket that holds the threaded rod.

Use a bright light and look straight down in the center of the seat rail. You'll see a small hole down there. This is where you'll see the little U shaped weld.

I'm having my checked again by the dealer.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Thanks Dave - will take another shot at it tonight (though I'm still trying to understand how a "weld" is going to be U shaped) :)

Ours is also to be looked at by the Dealer this morn.

joe

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Is this weld on the cross tube to L bracket?

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
It's hard to see unless you have a strong light.

But it is in the bottom of the black seat rail, right in the center, just behind the bolt for the L bracket in the pictures.

If you ever got a cut, then stitches, the weld kinda looks like the scar that the cut would have caused.

It's a small square "U" shape with one side of the "U" just a little bit longer than the other.

Mine was inspected, and passed.

tizzylizliz

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I received my letter in the mail and called my local dealership. Big mistake and long story short - they are useless. We purchased my Encore out of town. The dealer in town told me theyd have to weld my seat in place. I didnt make an appointment. I called the dealer in the next town over, they said they would have to inspect my car and if it is needing the recall, they would have to replace my entire seat and take time to order the part because they do not keep parts in stock for my car. The last dealer I called was in the metroplex (where we purchased the car) and they said they do have parts and could get it in and out in one day.

I am a bit confused. Does anyone really know what all this recall entails?

Thanks so much!!!

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
I checked and my Encore is NOT on the recall. Good luck to those that are.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!