Heated Seat problem - off to the dealer

NYer Mike

South Jersey
Buick Ownership
Regal Turbo TO-7
Got an appointment for Monday morning. The driver's seat heater is not working. Every time I turn the seat on the display acknowledges and shows power but after a while it kicks off. I have tried it on all power settings but still does not work. The passenger side work fine. I hope it is a relay etc... and not the heating element. If it is the element I would prefer they replace the entire seat and not just the element. I will post status and results.

PS: This is the first issue I have had with the car. I bought it December of 2010 and have 10k on it.

goobee

Sunny California
Buick Ownership
2011 Opel Insignia CXL T07
These seats are integrated with air bags so they have to be careful taking them apart. An upholstery guy told me he once shorted one of the wires on a seat he was working on and the car wouldn't turn over. It was an expensive day for him getting the customer's car diagnosed and repaired.

RegalTurbo

Canada
Buick Ownership
BuickRegalTurbo
Same thing happened to me within the first 3 months of getting the car. Dealer installed new heating element and it's been working since.

SteveCZ

Buick Ownership
Buick
Same here, same side (driver), same symptom. They changed the seat back, but not the bottom, turns out both were shorted out, has the bottom on order, see what happens.. Kinda curious why they both "shorted out"? Bigger problem?

rswatkins

Atlanta - GA
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had the exact same issue. Don't know if this was existing since I got the car since I don't recall using the seat heaters since I purchased the car in April. I was told the part would be in tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

NYer Mike

South Jersey
Buick Ownership
Regal Turbo TO-7
Received a phone call earlier today from the dealer. The "Technician" (LOL) replaced the body control unit due to the seat heater throwing codes and reprogrammed the module. The car will be available this afternoon. After I hung up - i realized that the technician has no clue other than whatever the computer tells him. I have my doubts! Serious doubts!

Received another phone call 15 mins ago from dealer. He explained to me that the module did not resolve the seat heater issue and then I interrupted him. I asked him if it was the element, he said that the computer detected a fault in the heater element. My response..."Who Knew!" I told him that that is exactly what I wrote on the drop off form, you could have saved a days worth of labor costs and look for the obvious.

Now they have to order the element and notify me when the part is in.

What can I say... Oblivious to the Obvious!

YYZRegalTurbo

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Same thing happened to me within the first 3 months of getting the car. Dealer installed new heating element and it's been working since.

I noticed the same thing today, it made me think about it after passenger seat air bag sensor was off while my wife was there. I checked the heating on her side and it was not working.:(

http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23378

OnStar reported that air bag sensor was working fine but it kept tripping on and off with no reason.

I guess I need to visit the dealership and let them do it right.:sad:

Detroit, USA
I am glad to hear that you are working with the dealer towards resolution. Please feel free to keep me posted on your progress. Contact me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

NYer Mike

South Jersey
Buick Ownership
Regal Turbo TO-7
I am glad to hear that you are working with the dealer towards resolution. Please feel free to keep me posted on your progress. Contact me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

Tricia,
Thanks for the post. I got my car back tonight and the dealer is waiting for the part(s) to come in. I will keep you and everyone else posted on my progress.

Regards,
Mike

PS: The dealer offered to buy my car off me; I was shocked since we were standing amongst a row of Regals in his lot. He stated that there are not that many German TO-7's on the road. Is that true?

Detroit, USA
Napocensis:

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same issue as well. Keep me updated with any other questions.

Thank you,
Amanda Buick Customer Service

Last edited:

jabsails

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
It seems I also have the same issue. Yesturday I turned on the seat heater but it never warmed up. The indicator on the consol came on but then automatically shut off after about a minute. I turned on the passenger side to check it and had the same results. The heaters worked fine last winter. I have a 2011 CXL-6 purchased Sept of 2010.

rswatkins

Atlanta - GA
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had the exact same issue. Don't know if this was existing since I got the car since I don't recall using the seat heaters since I purchased the car in April. I was told the part would be in tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

My service tech contacted me on 11/8 to inform me that the part was not available. He stated it has been ordered twice since my visit on 10/24. He gave an explanation that the parts are provided by a 3rd party vendor and GM is unable to get the part from the vendor. I will follow-up with him next week to see where we are with this issue.

I asked him if anyone else had reported the issue and he stated I was the first contact he had with this issue.

RS

SteveCZ

Buick Ownership
Buick
My service tech contacted me on 11/8 to inform me that the part was not available. He stated it has been ordered twice since my visit on 10/24. He gave an explanation that the parts are provided by a 3rd party vendor and GM is unable to get the part from the vendor. I will follow-up with him next week to see where we are with this issue.

I asked him if anyone else had reported the issue and he stated I was the first contact he had with this issue.

RS

If the part that was ordered was the seat back or bottom, I call BS, my dealer just ordered it last week and it came in today (bottom), they already put a new back in two weeks ago, which was also ordered. Might want to try a different dealer.

RoyS

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Same problem here. Driver's side comes on and trips off very quickly. Dealer found bad element in seat. On order but no ETA as yet.

Wr_guy

I gave up on the seat heaters (and coolers) on my Lucerne CSX a couple of years ago.

They "fixed" it twice and never lasted.

The last time, the seat back had to be replaced along with a few busted knobs from the disassembly job.

I just live without it and would not buy another car with them.

..too much trouble.

Stereodude

I gave up on the seat heaters (and coolers) on my Lucerne CSX a couple of years ago.

They "fixed" it twice and never lasted.

The last time, the seat back had to be replaced along with a few busted knobs from the disassembly job.

I just live without it and would not buy another car with them.

..too much trouble.
The heated seats in my Nissan Maxima still worked perfectly after 9.75 years. I guess I would expect heated seats in the Regal to work just as well.

dtana117

The heated seats in my Nissan Maxima still worked perfectly after 9.75 years. I guess I would expect heated seats in the Regal to work just as well.

My 96' Roadmaster seats heated up no problem after 15 years.:D

I am guessing the problem on the Regals is a supplier problem. Sometimes a supplier's product is just... bad.

No reported issues on late 11's and 12's yet at my dealer.

Groovylou8

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Experiencing the same thing in my early 2011 Regal. I will probably try to take it in over the holidays. Any updates on whether or not the necessary part has become readily available?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!