Heating issues

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
CJ2 was fairly reliable in the late 90s and early 2000s except for gm couldnt figure out backlighting or display plastics well, but CJ2 is like he said after the mid 90s i dont think any vehicle would have old cables anymore, most would be blend doors which are controlled by inputs from the AC panel

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
On my 93 Park Ave one blend door actuator is behind the glove box. There are YouTube videos how to remove it. How you get to the driver's side I do not know. Both of mine are broke. Getting your hand in to get to the back screw behind the glove box does not look easy. Mine was sticking and ticking so I just unplugged it....you may have to remove the upper dashboard too? I am sure it can be done.
if i had a good pic of my 1990 old 88(too far in snow, cant get to it) I can show you how I wrapped a shoelace on the damn arm actuator for the hot/cold and when it would stick or make noise, i pop open the glove box, ran the shoelace through the unused hole for a button (not trunk release but i forgot what the other was meant for) and give it a little yank and it would work. confused passengers esp when i do it without looking or notice

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Had this on my 62 Rambler, would have killed for a shoestring LOL.
u-g-Q1065PW0.jpg

Mad_Coachman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I think GM still uses Dexcool in New cars? LOL

I don't know how long you've been sealing with 3800 motors but I have been since 2003 with my first '97 Bonneville. I know what works for me and what doesn't. The newer motors are quite different than the venerable 3800 so laugh all you want.
GM knew for years they had a problem with either Dexcool coolant and or cheap gaskets and they did nothing about and it cost GM market share to Toyota Honda etc not to mention lawsuits from the state of Missouri and bankruptcy which cost us the taxpayers. GM government motors. Correct! It is no laughing matter. Many a mechanic says replace Dex with green. Good day!

Mad_Coachman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
GM knew for years they had a problem with either Dexcool coolant and or cheap gaskets and they did nothing about and it cost GM market share to Toyota Honda etc not to mention lawsuits from the state of Missouri and bankruptcy which cost us the taxpayers. GM government motors. Correct! It is no laughing matter. Many a mechanic says replace Dex with green. Good day!
I've been sing the Green for years. Your response to my comment seemed as though you were mocking me with that LOL on the end.

imidazol97

Top Dog
I grow tired of the DexCool vs green inorganic acid coolants debate.

Let me see. Basic economics. Were the inorganic old style antifreezes that were used with the iron blocks in the 60s and 70s and 80s capable of working with engines that have aluminum parts in contact with the coolant and in contact with the iron portions as well, then GM would have saved a whole lot of money by just dumping in the green old coolant and shipping the cars out as other manufacturers were doing in the 90s.

Basic economics. There was a reason for the engineering change. The earliest DexCool had antioxidants that deteriorated if the system had air in it, such as from a seep lowering the coolant level and driver not fixing it. I recall that certain Fords had an angled fill neck on the radiator and the air trapped there deteriorated the Dexcool they were using. A second factor was that there was something about running the system cold on very short trips, e.g., where the coolant wasn't fully heated up to temperature allowed bacteria to flourish in the coolant which deteriorated the additives as well.

DexCools additives were modified according to those two field observations. I don't know if those showed on the MSDS or not.

Have at it to verify or disprove those two items. I won't be participating.

The seals on the LIM gaskets at the heads were nylon IIRC. Whether GM changed the content on those
or not, I don't know. Odd that the entire gasket cracked where only the one side was exposed to the early (pre 1999) coolant.

One last point, the idea that having put in green and having run a vehicle for several years with no observed problems doesn't mean it is protecting the various metals in the coolant system and the LIM and the heads properly. That logic is like someone who has smoked for 50 years and says it hasn't killed them therefore it's good for you.

Again, economics 101. GM would have put in the green inorganic acid coolant back in the 90s were it better for the engine's life. Cheaper. And notice how many car companies now use variations on the organic acid designs of coolant. Hmmmmm.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!