Help! 2013 GS sputtered and won't start after fill up - coincidence? Bad gas?

San Diego, CA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
Thread starter #1
Hi all!

I filled up my 2013 GS (40K) with Mobil 91octane today and then washed my car in the gas station car wash. Stopped and dried it with no problems and then drove a few miles back to work. I just got back in my car and it sputtered and stalled and won't fire back up at all. I double checked my gas receipt and I did put in 91 octane (at $3.99 a gallon!) fuel and didn't mix up the diesel pump. The battery was replaced a year ago and I do not think that is the problem. Any ideas? I will get it towed in tomorrow morning.

Thank you for any advice!

Jeff

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
Is you Mechanical Fuel pump working on the end of your Cam Shaft, where the Clicking would come from.

Can you have someone crank the car over as you listen and/or feel for the pump to work, you will probably need to take the plastic cover off the top of the motor to check.

San Diego, CA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
Thread starter #6
Well, the verdict is in - fuel pump. $1,400! My CPO expired 3 weeks ago. I spent $2700 on a GMEPP extended warranty but I have not driven enough miles yet for it to go into effect. This really sucks!

Is you Mechanical Fuel pump working on the end of your Cam Shaft, where the Clicking would come from.

Can you have someone crank the car over as you listen and/or feel for the pump to work, you will probably need to take the plastic cover off the top of the motor to check.

San Diego, CA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
Thread starter #8
Is there a relay for the fuel pump ? I would replace that first if anything.
Not sure.... I will ask! The problem is intermittent right now. It mostly does not start but will occasionally. I wish I could milk it another 1,000 miles until my warranty kicks in but that isn't plausible.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Look in your manual and see where the fuel pump relay is located. Take the relay out and inspect it to make sure it doesn't look funny or the terminal it plugs into ldoesn't ooks funny. Corroded, slightly melted, or anything out of the ordinary.

See if there are other relays just like it that don't operate something important like ignition etc... and try to swap it with the fuel pump one to see if if it solves the problem.

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Well, the verdict is in - fuel pump. $1,400! My CPO expired 3 weeks ago. I spent $2700 on a GMEPP extended warranty but I have not driven enough miles yet for it to go into effect. This really sucks!
That doesn't make any sense. The point of the extended plan is to protect you when the warranty expires. In all my years dealing with cars (mostly new) and car forums, yours is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. I would call the GMEPP people to confirm a number wasn't entered wrong in the system.

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Look in your manual and see where the fuel pump relay is located. Take the relay out and inspect it to make sure it doesn't look funny or the terminal it plugs into ldoesn't ooks funny. Corroded, slightly melted, or anything out of the ordinary.

See if there are other relays just like it that don't operate something important like ignition etc... and try to swap it with the fuel pump one to see if if it solves the problem.
This is a good idea, my limited experience with pump failures is that they pretty much work until they don't. Having them work intermittently points to something else IMO.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.