Help Electrical rear seat fuse box issues

jeffwilson34

Buick Ownership
2011 buick lucerne
Please forgive this post if it is too long. I will try and enplane what is going on.
The car is not mine, it belongs to an elderly neighbor.
On Halloween night he went to visit his wife in the hospital after she fell and broke her back 2 nights before. The drive is 60 miles.
He said it would not start when he went to leave and had it towed to a shop. They told him the fuel pump went out and charged him $750. The next day they called him to come get it and he made it to the doctor office and it died and would not start back. They sent someone that did something and it ran after that for 2 days. It died at his house and I saw him with the hood up and went to check.. He told me what was going on. I checked the fuse and relay, The relay had a burnt spot on it so I took one out of my Corvette and replaced it to get him going. (my fog light relay is the same) That night he called me saying it was making a funny noise. The fuel pump was running and would not stop. I checked the relay and it was burnt. I did some research and found the rear seat had a problem if rubbing the relays causing issues. I looked at the fuse box good and found it was burned. I told him I would fix it and the next day I found a Chevy dealer 75 miles away with one in stock so I drove and got it and installed it,

Now the car runs good and the relay is not getting hot but the inside lights do not come on when you open the door and right front turn signal stopped working. The bulb is good. I checked all the fuses and even swapped them out from the old fuse box and still no lights. For the heck of it I put the old fuse box back on and the interior lights work and the turn signal works. I double checked everything and carefully put the new fuse box back on and they stopped working again.

Is there something I am missing or did I just get a bad fuse box? Is there anyway to repair it or will I need to buy another one?

I also checked his fuel pump they charged $750 him to replace and it was the original. There was dust and dirt on it. I also love the access hole to replace the pump. Much easier than dropping the tank.

I would love to go confront the shop that charged him to replace the pump but he said to let it go. They did that to him knowing his wife was in the hospital and may never get out, I hope karma catches them soon. How many other people have they did that to?

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick Lesabre limited
Please forgive this post if it is too long. I will try and enplane what is going on.
The car is not mine, it belongs to an elderly neighbor.
On Halloween night he went to visit his wife in the hospital after she fell and broke her back 2 nights before. The drive is 60 miles.
He said it would not start when he went to leave and had it towed to a shop. They told him the fuel pump went out and charged him $750. The next day they called him to come get it and he made it to the doctor office and it died and would not start back. They sent someone that did something and it ran after that for 2 days. It died at his house and I saw him with the hood up and went to check.. He told me what was going on. I checked the fuse and relay, The relay had a burnt spot on it so I took one out of my Corvette and replaced it to get him going. (my fog light relay is the same) That night he called me saying it was making a funny noise. The fuel pump was running and would not stop. I checked the relay and it was burnt. I did some research and found the rear seat had a problem if rubbing the relays causing issues. I looked at the fuse box good and found it was burned. I told him I would fix it and the next day I found a Chevy dealer 75 miles away with one in stock so I drove and got it and installed it,

Now the car runs good and the relay is not getting hot but the inside lights do not come on when you open the door and right front turn signal stopped working. The bulb is good. I checked all the fuses and even swapped them out from the old fuse box and still no lights. For the heck of it I put the old fuse box back on and the interior lights work and the turn signal works. I double checked everything and carefully put the new fuse box back on and they stopped working again.

Is there something I am missing or did I just get a bad fuse box? Is there anyway to repair it or will I need to buy another one?

I also checked his fuel pump they charged $750 him to replace and it was the original. There was dust and dirt on it. I also love the access hole to replace the pump. Much easier than dropping the tank.

I would love to go confront the shop that charged him to replace the pump but he said to let it go. They did that to him knowing his wife was in the hospital and may never get out, I hope karma catches them soon. How many other people have they did that to?
Wow sounds like when this fuse box was shorting out that some wires got fried , wiring insulation was melted off somewhere in the process and these wires could be in a harness under the carpet or wherever it is you should remove the fuses or relays that are continuing to short or blow because what will happen is you will end up with a car on fire , the wires from the fuse box to the items you described as shorting out or blowing fuses need to be checked by a pro and at what repair shop or by whom I have no idea it’s hard to trust someone unless you have been dealing with them for a long time . But a serious issue for the safety of the elderly person and I’m so sad to hear about what happened and how that shop treated the situation . Definitely pull the fuses and relays in question until all of the wires can be checked .

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The rear seat fuse box is a common problem and GM has a TSB on the repair, it is the fuel pump fuse and relay that short out. The repair may include a new box, new shorter relay, fuel pump fuse and modification to the seat bracket which is what pushed into the box causing the short and possibly killing the fuel pump over time.

There are some changes in the fuse box design over the Lucerne MY, but if it's the same part number and has a matching layout on top and pin out on the bottom there is no reason it shouldn't work. Unfortunately it a repair that is done on a somewhat regular basis and your question/problem hasn't been asked before so it's a assumption that the new box may be defective.

Here's another post on the fuse box relay and the TSB.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

jeffwilson34

Buick Ownership
2011 buick lucerne
The rear seat fuse box is a common problem and GM has a TSB on the repair, it is the fuel pump fuse and relay that short out. The repair may include a new box, new shorter relay, fuel pump fuse and modification to the seat bracket which is what pushed into the box causing the short and possibly killing the fuel pump over time.

There are some changes in the fuse box design over the Lucerne MY, but if it's the same part number and has a matching layout on top and pin out on the bottom there is no reason it shouldn't work. Unfortunately it a repair that is done on a somewhat regular basis and your question/problem hasn't been asked before so it's a assumption that the new box may be defective.

Here's another post on the fuse box relay and the TSB.
I checked all the fuses have power. The box layout is the same but the new one does have extra pins. It came from a GM dealer with all fuses and relays installed. There are extra fuses and relays in the new one that the old one did not have. The diagram in the lid is the same so I am assuming the new one is for a car will all the extra bells and whistles that the original did not come with.

I guess I will go back to the dealer and hope they will warranty exchange it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The original GM Part 20777935 was replaced by 84446208 but should have been a plug and play. Hopefully the dealer will be able to replace the box or see if there is difference.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners