• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Help me please with washer pump/wiring problems

WokeUp

Buick Ownership
2003 Regal LS
I bought a 2003 Buick Regal LS recently, very nice, with just a couple minor problems, one of them was the washer pump not working. I replaced the pump and connector at the pump but still nothing, so I bench tested the new and old one and it turns out they both work. I hooked up my multimeter and the voltage is good (~12V) but the amperage seems low at about 0.7-0.8; I was expecting 2-4 amps? I checked the connections and wires from the pump to the point where the two wires join a whole bunch of other ones behind the battery; it all looked good, no obvious corrosion or damage.

What's next? Do I have to replace the washer pump wires from the pump right through the firewall? Is there a common fail-point that I should inspect first?

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
I bought a 2003 Buick Regal LS recently, very nice, with just a couple minor problems, one of them was the washer pump not working. I replaced the pump and connector at the pump but still nothing, so I bench tested the new and old one and it turns out they both work. I hooked up my multimeter and the voltage is good (~12V) but the amperage seems low at about 0.7-0.8; I was expecting 2-4 amps? I checked the connections and wires from the pump to the point where the two wires join a whole bunch of other ones behind the battery; it all looked good, no obvious corrosion or damage.

What's next? Do I have to replace the washer pump wires from the pump right through the firewall? Is there a common fail-point that I should inspect first?
I am going off my experience with my Lucerne here. I assume that the circuit is going to be very similar. The WW fluid motor runs off Battery 12v with a relay and fuse. On mine there is an other circuit that ties into it for heated washer fluid. The washer pump is controlled by the BCM. Couple things to try :
1. See if you have a fuse for heated washer fluid. Remove the fuse. It could be a faulty circuit and sucking the amps to ground thru it.
2. Go straight from the battery to the washer pump and see if things improve.
3. Check the ground wire again. Could be a poor ground.

What other minor problems do you have? Perhaps they relate to this washer pump?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Diagrams on the system, sorry no electrical, but confirming it's getting some type of current unfortunately no way to know if it has a broken or bad connection in the harness.

031217MW06-050.png 0010172W10-027.png

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
Another idea to look at:
Perhaps the previous owner replaced the washer fluid motor with the wrong one? Double check its the correct one? see if jumping straight from the battery works. Might be clogged washer tubes going up to the wipers?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

WokeUp

Buick Ownership
2003 Regal LS
Thanks for the ideas in your posts. Yes, hooking the pump up to the battery makes the pump work, and the tubes are not clogged. That along with the normal voltage but low amperage makes me think there is an electrical gremlin somewhere causing a high resistance.

No washer fluid heater on this Regal. I think my next step is to check all grounds and maybe the switch at the steering column too, but if anyone else has electrical related ideas then I’m all ears.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
Ok, Now once again, The control signal to the washer motor is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module) on my lucerne. Therefore, I would disconnect your battery and then unhook the connectors to your BCM and check/clean them. You might find a case of the greenies in the connectors. The problem I guess could also be the BCM itself. I would not think so at this point.

I say disco the battery because you do not want to cause problems with the BCM unhooking and hooking things up.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I don't believe it's in the Regal and the Lucerne's were recalled twice with removal as GM final solution.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)

does your system have a level indicator float?

WokeUp

Buick Ownership
2003 Regal LS
does your system have a level indicator float?

I assume it does, since I have the “low wash” light turn on when the fluid is low. Pump doesn’t work with fluid at any level, btw.

This week or weekend I will have a look at the BCM connection as suggested, and also at the switch right at the steering column. I’ll keep you updated. In the meantime I have a squirt bottle with water on hand and when the windshield gets too grimy I roll down the window and squirt it, haha.