• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Help with infotainment - USB/Aux

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Please don’t get irritated – please no guessing or hypothesizing: Trying to connect my MP3 player, either way, (aux jack or USB). Followed the manual. When I go to “other” screen it only shows AM, FM, SirusXM, Blue tooth…Does not show USB or AUX as per manual. Help...

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Please don’t get irritated – please no guessing or hypothesizing: Trying to connect my MP3 player, either way, (aux jack or USB). Followed the manual. When I go to “other” screen it only shows AM, FM, SirusXM, Blue tooth…Does not show USB or AUX as per manual. Help...
Portable CD player works on my 3.5mm audio jack. Hooks up with the media icon from Favabean's picture. We have the old UI.

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Page 17 -

Auxiliary Jack
If equipped, the vehicle has an
auxiliary input jack in the center
console. Possible auxiliary audio
sources include:
. Laptop computer
. Audio music player
This jack is not an audio output. Do
not plug headphones into the
auxiliary input jack. Set up an
auxiliary device while the vehicle is
in P (Park).
Connect a 3.5mm (1/8 in) cable
from the auxiliary device to the
auxiliary input jack. When a device
is connected, the system can play
audio from the device over the
vehicle speakers.
If an auxiliary device has already
been connected, but a different
source is currently active, touch the
More option and then touch AUX to
make the source active.
Shuffle and Browse are not
available in the AUX source menu.
Very good information, but useless to me. Being an engineer I read the instructions you referenced before posting my question. As noted in my post, one can not touch the AUX icon, because it does not exist.

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Since it's semi-related and I just found the section (Page 16) of the Infotainment Manual - it says the USB drive can be formatted with FAT32, NTFS, or HFS+. There has been some discussion about the correct format and whether the format is a cause for the media not connected messages some have experienced.
Again, all good info, but no help, since no icons for USB OR AUX.

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Correcting this -
I don't believe it will work on the USB port. That port appears to only support phones (Apple Play or Android Auto) or a USB drive. I thought it should work on the aux input port but I have nothing to test that with . . .

Correction - The 2018 Buick Regal Infotainment System Manual (page 14) says a USB MP3 Player should work.
Again, all good info, but no help, since no icons for USB OR AUX.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
And that helps me how?
You need to find someone with a white needle new UI interface that can tell you how to do what you're asking. AFAIK you might not even have a 3.5mm aux. connection.
That's one of the hilarious things about these cars. 2 model years with 2 different infotainment system UI's, 3 different DICs, and there are different inputs depending on what UI and trim your TourX has. Welcome to the Uncool Kid Club, it's a weird world.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
And that helps me how?
Great way to get an answer here is by being rude.

Have you checked Mazerati's manuals for the car, as I've seen that's how you branded it?

Someone with a 2018.5+ can chime in, but you can try this for an AUX source (from a white needle infotainment UI manual):

If an auxiliary device has already been connected, but a different source is currently active, touch More and then touch AUX to make the source active.

Last edited:

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Very good information, but useless to me. Being an engineer I read the instructions you referenced before posting my question. As noted in my post, one can not touch the AUX icon, because it does not exist.
Also being an engineer, I get annoyed when others pull the "engineer" card like it makes them magical and entitled - I've worked with a many engineers in multiple industries, and there is a wide variety of competency. I've worked with many craftspeople and others without degrees that I would trust before fellow engineers.

I know successful troubleshooting is easier when you have more data to analyze. I also realize that some amount of guessing and hypothesizing is required when you give minimal data and are asking people to solve a problem remotely. I don't have your car in front of me, and you provided limited data, so I can't see what you have or haven't tried.

Despite all of that, I have the same UI as you ("white needle"). I plugged an aux cable in this morning and and here's what happened:

I clicked "more" per the manual
IMG_20190919_060036.jpg

That screen then showed my two USB drives as well as "aux", per the manual.
MVIMG_20190919_060038.jpg

I clicked on "aux", and it was connected and working, per the manual.
MVIMG_20190919_060043.jpg

Apologies in advance for guessing and hypothesizing against your wishes, but:
1. Did you restart the car and try again? There is a bug where the car occasionally doesn't recognize the USB drives if the car is started or put into gear too quickly. The same bug may impact the aux input, since it is the same module in the center console
2. Does the same aux cable successfully work on a different car or device?
3. When plugged in to USB, did the MP3 player detect that it was plugged in and appear to at least be charging?
4. Does the USB cable work in a different car or for transferring files from a computer? Some cables are charge only and cannot transfer data.
5. Have you tried any other USB devices in the center consile at any other point in time to see if the ports work? It's possible you have a bad connection from the USB/aux module in console. If you have nav and the SD card works, that likely isn't the issue.

Again, I'm just hypothesizing, but my guess is #1, since you didn't have the aux or USB icons, and it is a relatively common issue. When that happens to me, I don't have the USB icons. I don't use the aux input, so I can't confirm how it behaves in that situation.

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Great way to get an answer here is by being rude.

Have you checked Mazerati's manuals for the car, as I've seen that's how you branded it?

Someone with a 2018.5+ can chime in, but you can try this for an AUX source (from a white needle infotainment UI manual):
Actually what could be considered rude is: 1. not reading question and wasting people's time with a non-answer and 2. making a comment like "
"Have you checked Mazerati's manuals for the car, as I've seen that's how you branded it?"

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Also being an engineer, I get annoyed when others pull the "engineer" card like it makes them magical and entitled - I've worked with a many engineers in multiple industries, and there is a wide variety of competency. I've worked with many craftspeople and others without degrees that I would trust before fellow engineers.

I know successful troubleshooting is easier when you have more data to analyze. I also realize that some amount of guessing and hypothesizing is required when you give minimal data and are asking people to solve a problem remotely. I don't have your car in front of me, and you provided limited data, so I can't see what you have or haven't tried.

Despite all of that, I have the same UI as you ("white needle"). I plugged an aux cable in this morning and and here's what happened:

View attachment 18434

View attachment 18435

View attachment 18436

1. Did you restart the car and try again? There is a bug where the car occasionally doesn't recognize the USB drives if the car is started or put into gear too quickly. The same bug may impact the aux input, since it is the same module in the center console
3. When plugged in to USB, did the MP3 player detect that it was plugged in and appear to at least be charging?
4. Does the USB cable work in a different car or for transferring files from a computer? Some cables are charge only and cannot transfer data.
5. Have you tried any other USB devices in the center consile at any other point in time to see if the ports work? It's possible you have a bad connection from the USB/aux module in console. If you have nav and the SD card works, that likely isn't the issue.

Again, I'm just hypothesizing, but my guess is #1, since you didn't have the aux or USB icons, and it is a relatively common issue. When that happens to me, I don't have the USB icons. I don't use the aux input, so I can't confirm how it behaves in that situation.
That Sir is not hypothesizing! That is giving REAL information on your real experience. 1. I will try first thing in morning. 2. Yes 3. See 1. 4. Yes 5. Good info.

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX

View attachment 18434

View attachment 18435

View attachment 18436

That Sir is not hypothesizing! That is giving REAL information on your real experience. 1. I will try first thing in morning. 2. Yes 3. See 1. 4. Yes 5. Good info.

Guy Fawkes

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
"Also being an engineer, I get annoyed when others pull the "engineer" card like it makes them magical and entitled". Sorry you feel that way. Being a trained engineer should mean that you have been trained to think, not that others cannot. It is a point of reference. For example, if you were in a discussion with a doctor you would not respond to him by first explaining how the body works. And yes I have experienced some low intelligence doctors and engineers.

Pedal Commander