HELP with replacement ignition keys!

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #1
Hey have a question on ignition keys for my 1993 Buick Park Avenue. Recently lost the "one and only" ignition key I had and then found it after two days of driving my wife crazy, tearing the house apart (then helping her clean lol) and two days of hearing estimates as high as $200 for a key for a 25 year old car!! So online there are lots of GM VAT key replacement blanks (OEM type) as little as $10-They all accomodate 6 cuts -but the list goes on and on about the OHM readings----how do I know which one would fit my car since none of these sites--even on Amazon--have an option for a VIN entry. Then finally, how do I program it, or, doesn't it need it? Anyone have any ideas? Even the local Buick dealer wants $90 for one friggin key!

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
With the existing in hand, read the resistance on the key and order a blank (uncut key) on eBay with the same resistance. Take it to a local locksmith and have them cut it with your existing key. Usually cost about 3-bucks. As long as the resistance is correct, there is no other programming necessary. I ordered three blanks and had them all cut to my existing key, so I have plenty in case I ever loose one. Total cost was less than 25-bucks.

mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
I had to do the same thing ! What they call a "chip", is just a resistor, in the key. I ordered from a place that had the blanks. The resistance values listed were a sort of ball-park thing, so had to pick one in the range of values. Thar one cost me around 26 bucks, so do what HotZ28 recommended, on Ebay...

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #4
Thanks, guys.. Took your advice and went online and saw all of them as well....but as far as "reading the resistance" value, are you referring to using an OHM reader to scan it? Wonder if Autozone or Pepboys can do that? I can't see anything on the key but its a 25 yo key lol

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
You simply need to use an DVOM in the Ohms setting, to probe each side of the resistor to get the resistance. Most locksmiths have a resistor reader, and they just slide the key in it to get a digital readout of the reading, but I doubt that any of the part stores have any such animal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.