Hey dummie, your turn signal is on!

Barry

Palm Springs, CA.
2012 LaCrosse Mocha Steel Prem. pkg, chrome wheels HUD, 2013 Verano Turbo Mocha Bronze Metallic.
I just discovered another feature my smart car has.....

Was driving down the freeway when I hear a chime, and in the DIC window it says "turn signal is on" and a great big exclamation mark! Boy, what will it surprise me with next?

pogster

Alberta
I just discovered another feature my smart car has.....

Was driving down the freeway when I hear a chime, and in the DIC window it says "turn signal is on" and a great big exclamation mark! Boy, what will it surprise me with next?
Found out something new today then. My Olds has that feature too. IIRC it will give a warning after you've driven a 1/4 mile. Perhaps its still that way.

H_Charles

2011 LaCrosse CXS, 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is, 2011 Acura MDX
I guess that's a nice feature, but a reminder Buick is still focusing on a much older demographic to some degree.
Wonder if it would notify the driver if one were driving 50 in the left lane on interstate too.

HMTJ6821

Buick LaCrosse 2016
I guess that's a nice feature, but a reminder Buick is still focusing on a much older demographic to some degree.
Wonder if it would notify the driver if one were driving 50 in the left lane on interstate too.
Why would you presume that the turn signal warning chime is only for more experienced drivers. We certainly see distracted younger generations driving along with the turn signal running--usually simultaneous with a cell phone attached to the head.

pogster

Alberta
LOL. Yeah and the lane departure warning feature found in Audi, Benz, Infiniti, etc. are focused on the really old.

cheflionfoot

To the best of my knowledge the chime reminder for turn signal has been a feature in all GM cars starting with the 2008 model year.

H_Charles

2011 LaCrosse CXS, 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is, 2011 Acura MDX
Why would you presume that the turn signal warning chime is only for more experienced drivers. We certainly see distracted younger generations driving along with the turn signal running--usually simultaneous with a cell phone attached to the head.
Hey, there are attentive drivers and inattentive ones, all ages. However, the image of an elderly woman behind the wheel of a Buick driving slowly with a perpetually blinking turn signal, isn't my perception, it's part of Americana, in the same way the image of a soccer mom on a a cell-phone behind the wheel of a giant SUVor minivan is, and part of Buick's national image in the same way that an Escalade was part of Caddy's "upscale suburban mom" image. Doesn't mean all experienced drivers are inattentive, or all Escacalde drivers are preoccupied with phone calls.

My comment, tongue-in-cheek, was simply that offering a feature that perpetuates this stereotype (useful or not) was a bit humerous given Buick's public stance that it's trying to lower the age of it's drivers.

In fairness tro Buick, they don't market this feature unlike Infiniti and Mercedes that do heavily market lane departure and automatic braking features that ARE actually specifically marketed to baby-boomers, not 20 somethings. If you pay attention to these commercials you don't see young professionals or teens behind the wheel in those ads.

My apologies if my post offended anyone. Wasn't my intention. AT age 40 I've left my turn signal on occasionally, but ironically never in the LaCrosse since I can give the 3-click lane change signal instead of a full signal that needs turning off.

Last edited:

Oneill5491

2012 Regal GS, 2010 LaCrosse CXS, 99 Regal GS
Yeah, my 99 Regal has a standard *bing bing* audible warning when I drive a quarter mile with it on.

Turbo Buick Badge