• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

HID headlight issue!

drummn22

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS
Does everyone feel that there have been enough issues with the condensation/water getting inside our HID headlights for a recall? I do and I recommend everyone that has had this issue file a complaint here

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This a a huge safety concern that needs to be addressed and corrected by Buick/GM.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
Does everyone feel that there have been enough issues with the condensation/water getting inside our HID headlights for a recall? I do and I recommend everyone that has had this issue file a complaint here

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This a a huge safety concern that needs to be addressed and corrected by Buick/GM.
What are your thoughts?
When the recall came out for condensation in the tail lights a year after owning my 16 GS, My dealer replaced 3 sets of taillights within a 3 month period because it wasnt cleaned right or each one had cracks forming. So when i told them again for the same pass taillight they had to order the part and would call me. Lets just say when i notified them they never ordered or placed a invoice for the correction. So i ordered my own tails and did the installed myself. A year later no issues with condensation in taillights anymore.

2016 Regal GS with now at 9100 on the odo and never once a phone call to see if i wanted to come in for replacement. My dealers service manager obviously hates his job or someone above him just said screw it and dont call me or say the part will take 2 weeks. Ive gotten the go around the 2nd time when they said, we got the taillights and during shipping it was cracked and we have to order a new one or they took the taillight off (as they say) and used the air tool to blow out the taillight and didnt even change the seals and wiped it and re-installed it.

I've done the complaint last year and i only got was a sorry and we'll talk to the dealer and copensate with a discount on next serviced and they'll notify you. NOPE. BUT my BMW dealer with my M3 there always on point, they return your calls and you dont have to pay for a loaner when its a warranty issue

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
I have not heard/seen much issue with Taillights. Mostly headlights.
There was a recall from 2016 to 2017 with condensation from taillights, headlights ive never had issues. What year is yours? Probably from 2016 and under they had the condensations in headlamps

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
My wife and I both have a 2014 Regal, and neither of our cars have headlight or tail light condensation. I have HID's and she doesn't so that can't be the reason why we haven't seen it in our headlights.

drummn22

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS
My wife and I both have a 2014 Regal, and neither of our cars have headlight or tail light condensation. I have HID's and she doesn't so that can't be the reason why we haven't seen it in our headlights.
Consider yourself lucky... It is a huge issue and seems to be way to common. Each HID assembly run $1200. I've had to replace both of mine due to condensation killing the ballast.

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
If anything, it looks like a Class Action lawsuit, but you need to have the NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ) declare a problem before that will happen, but I can't believe they are so HARD to find, and for a reasonable AFTER MARKET price.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Consider yourself lucky... It is a huge issue and seems to be way to common. Each HID assembly run $1200. I've had to replace both of mine due to condensation killing the ballast.
Wow that is a huge issue indeed. I live near Chicago and it's not that humid here. Perhaps there's more moisture in the air in your area. Where do you live?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
If anything, it looks like a Class Action lawsuit, but you need to have the NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ) declare a problem before that will happen, but I can't believe they are so HARD to find, and for a reasonable AFTER MARKET price.
I imagine eventually there will be more replacement headlight assemblies for the Regal as the car gets older. My son just bought a set of headlight assemblies for his 2002 Grand Prix and they were $60 a pair which I thought was dirt cheap. They were from China so hopefully they will start making Regal headlight assemblies that are cheaper some day.

drummn22

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS
The dealership said they have trouble getting them because of the numbers being replaced. The aftermarket HID assemblies are even worse quality and not a true replacement. More of a band aid.

drummn22

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS
I imagine eventually there will be more replacement headlight assemblies for the Regal as the car gets older. My son just bought a set of headlight assemblies for his 2002 Grand Prix and they were $60 a pair which I thought was dirt cheap. They were from China so I think they will start making Regal headlight assemblies some day.
I bet they are not HID... Big difference in costs between halogen and HID.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Right they are just halogen assemblies but that indicates to me the price of HID headlight assemblies should come down in price eventually, and hopefully be a decent quality.

drummn22

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS
Right they are just halogen assemblies but that indicates to me the price of HID headlight assemblies should come down in price eventually, and hopefully be a decent quality.
That maybe the case eventually, but owners can't wait years until the price comes down to get there headlights fixed. Buick needs to address the issue and do what is right for their customers. Recall and reimburse!

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The big temperature fluctuation can attribute to excess moisture because of the heating and cooling effect on the air in your area. That's probably why my wife's car and mine dont have condensation because Chicagoland doesn't see that large of a temperature fluctuation. Lake Michigan keeps our temperature pretty consistent.

drummn22

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS
The big temperature fluctuation can attribute to excess moisture because of the heating and cooling effect on the air in your area. That's probably why my wife's car and mine dont have condensation because Chicagoland doesn't see that large of a temperature fluctuation. Lake Michigan keeps our temperature pretty consistent.
I agree, but the assemblies should be sealed, thus preventing condensation from accumulating. That is the reason they condensate. The seal has either failed or were never sealed properly in the first place.

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
The dealership said they have trouble getting them because of the numbers being replaced. The aftermarket HID assemblies are even worse quality and not a true replacement. More of a band aid.
I'm sure they can get these from Europe at some point, Opel or Vauxhall probably have a wharehouse full of them, but with Trump's tarrif, will be too expensive to ship..

atomicbee

Southern California
Buick Ownership
2014 AWD PR 2
no moisture issues to date but my Chevy cobalt had this issue in both headlights, I found that the seal was dry but not cracked so I put the lamps in the oven at 100 degrees until moisture was removed then used MG rubber/plastic cleaner on seals and reinstalled headlights. It appears to be holding during the recent rainstorms in Cali but as always time will tell if it really worked