• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

High mileage Encores

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
Any opinions on Encores that have been on the road since the introduction with high mileage? I have a 2013 with near 80,000 now. Trying to decide whether to keep it, trade it in for a low mileage recent addition Encore or look for a model similar to the Encore. Concerned about the long term future of a car that had a catalytic converter and turbo charger replaced under warranty.

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
I noticed in Consumer Reports annual car issue has the 2013 Encore as having several problems in its first year. Predicted reliability was below average. But from 2014 to present, the predicted reliability was above average. First year bugs to be worked out.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
I noticed in Consumer Reports annual car issue has the 2013 Encore as having several problems in its first year. Predicted reliability was below average. But from 2014 to present, the predicted reliability was above average. First year bugs to be worked out.
I, too, wonder about the Encore's reliability status, for reliability opinions seems to be a mixed bag. Consumer Reports gives all Encore years above average reliability scores, yet reports of 100% failure rates of pcv related engine issues(which you seemed to have experienced with your turbo and catalytic converter) does introduce doubts about reliability reports. I recently purchased a 2019 Encore, which I'm very pleased with, and I'm hoping, assuming that Encore problems from earlier years have been addressed, it will be reliable for many years. I would like to know how well maintained Encores fare at 100,000 miles and beyond.

From 2017--"Overall, GM’s brands did not fare well this year, with most of them‒Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC‒in the bottom third. Buick, which ranked third last year, dropped five spots to eighth, with the redesigned LaCrosse debuting with reliability that is well-below average. The much-better-than-average reliability of the Encore, and the better-than-average reliability of the Cascada and Envision all helped Buick to stay in the top 10."

https://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA1126931019.PDF

Blow-Out Protection for PCV Failure

Last edited:

EncoreOne

Marquette
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just reached 50,000 miles on my 2016 Encore. So far I have had 6 problems 1. object in mirror light come on and for. 2. Disengaged AWD in snowy weather updated module seem to have worked. 3. Need new PCV heater kit. Also was given a Lower Grill cover that they installed and said to use until the weather gets above 32 degrees. This had something to with DOC ID#4451826. Codes were P0299,P0236,P0007. 5. Had to buy new tires at 40,000 miles. Hope to get 1 more year with little or no more problems. 6. Lug nut covers needed replacement after tire rotations. I finally broke down and bought 20 solid SS lug nuts on e-bay for $29.95

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Thanks for the info. The day I bought my 2019 Encore was also the day I got rid of my 2002 Honda Accord with 340,000 miles on it, which I guess I was spoiled by, given that it had hardly any problems in its life span. I changed the timing and balancer belt once at 130,000, replaced the alternator at about 325,000, replaced one brake disk, never had any suspension problems or alignments, replaced brakes, spark plugs, rotor and cap and so on, and just changed fluids frequently. So the bar was set pretty high for me, but I love the ride and feel of the Encore, and given that I'm in my golden years, I just hope it will be trouble free as I ride into the sunset.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
We have an '14 Encore with just over 90,000 miles; it has 95 percent highway miles. Other than the PCV repair and a parking brake/rear disc problem after an ice storm, it's been a reliable vehicle. It'll probably be traded for a 2021 Hyundai Kona or a '21 Kia Soul. A next-gen Encore is a long shot as the replacement.

G-174144

I have a 2014 Encore with 130,000 miles. Just routine maintenance. The only weird thing I've encountered is my headlight and fog lights went out. The driver side first. Both headlight and fog light. Then about a mouth after replacing them. The passenger side went out on both.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Sorry about the head and fog lights, but it's nice to hear that you've reached 130,000 miles without having PCV repairs which seems to be a common failure problem with Encore owners. Hope I make it to 130,000 on my 2019 without such problems. I wonder what the normal life span is for the bulbs you had to replace? I guess it would depend on the number of hours the lights were used rather than miles driven.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I just reached 50,000 miles on my 2016 Encore. So far I have had 6 problems 1. object in mirror light come on and for. 2. Disengaged AWD in snowy weather updated module seem to have worked. 3. Need new PCV heater kit. Also was given a Lower Grill cover that they installed and said to use until the weather gets above 32 degrees. This had something to with DOC ID#4451826. Codes were P0299,P0236,P0007. 5. Had to buy new tires at 40,000 miles. Hope to get 1 more year with little or no more problems. 6. Lug nut covers needed replacement after tire rotations. I finally broke down and bought 20 solid SS lug nuts on e-bay for $29.95
I'm assisting my dad with an Encore purchase, however, new tires at 40,000 miles is a problem?

Pedal Commander