• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Highest Boost Pressure on GS or Turbo?

GTP>GS

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 2012
I saw 22.8 psi (according to Torque Pro) om my GS today. Previously, without the GM Regal Stage Kit, I had seen a maximum of 21.6psi. All measurements were with 91 octane. What are others seeing?

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40
I've seen 22.5 psi on my GS. Still running the factory tune.

On average my max boost is 20-21 psi.

I only run 93 octane as well.

BlackPearl

A Regular
Parts Unknown NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Buick Regal GS Stage 1
Pre-Stage 1 kit: 24psi/-26Hg
Post-Stage 1 kit: 26psi/-26Hg
***Both readings were from a P3 Vent Gauge***

I am curious as well to know what ACTUAL boost settings are for the GS, because for the Regal Turbo they are set to 20psi... which leaves one wonder what the boost settings are for the GS, since everyone is getting different readings using different gauges/monitoring devices...

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
Pre-Stage 1 kit: 24psi/-26Hg
Post-Stage 1 kit: 26psi/-26Hg
***Both readings were from a P3 Vent Gauge***

I am curious as well to know what ACTUAL boost settings are for the GS, because for the Regal Turbo they are set to 20psi... which leaves one wonder what the boost settings are for the GS, since everyone is getting different readings using different gauges/monitoring devices...
Pretty sure pre-2014 Regal Turbo boost levels are 15psi...

Boost levels will vary due to environmental factors such as elevation, climate, etc... This same scenario went on back in the day when the Cobalt SS came out.

GM claimed the SS made 12psi from the factory, yet some people were getting more or less. Just like GM claims 15 psi for the 2011-2013 Regal T and 20 psi for the 2012-2013 GS.

GTP>GS

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 2012
According to the GM MY2012 press release, the maximum boost was "about 20 psi".
Of course, your mileage may vary, according to air temp, fuel octane, barometric pressure, engine load, the price of gold and whether Jupiter is aligned with Mars ;-)

BlackPearl

A Regular
Parts Unknown NY
Buick Ownership
Pretty sure pre-2014 Regal Turbo boost levels are 15psi...

Boost levels will vary due to environmental factors such as elevation, climate, etc... This same scenario went on back in the day when the Cobalt SS came out.

GM claimed the SS made 12psi from the factory, yet some people were getting more or less. Just like GM claims 15 psi for the 2011-2013 Regal T and 20 psi for the 2012-2013 GS.
I know for a fact that that info is NOT correct... it states right in the dealer brochure for the Regal that the Regal Turbo boost is set for 20psi. Makes sense considering the power ratings jumps between the Regal Turbo & the GS, with both having the same engine. AND with the Regal Turbo getting the Stage 1 kit pushing power from 220HP up to 270... Doesn't make sense that your claim of the GS having less boost pressure than the (next step down) Regal Turbo has more, with the same engine, when the power ratings show otherwise...

I will take a pic of the brochure when I get home where it states the Turbo having 20psi... and while differences in temperature, elevation, etc. all do make a difference, it's not going to be THAT substantial of a difference.

Last edited:

BlackPearl

A Regular
Parts Unknown NY
Buick Ownership
Here it is straight from the '12 Regal brochure which says it... So if the Regal Turbo is set for 20, it leaves one to question what the GS has given the bigger 3" exhaust, better intercooler (one would think... Wouldn't use the same one as the Turbo because the GS has a significant amount more power...), and the ECM tune... So IMHO, 24psi on a stock and 26psi on a Stage 1 doesn't seem all that far fetched and fairly logical to conclude...

I am still hoping someone with an actual vacuum driven boost gauge or someone that works at a dealer or at GM with the insider info can reay shed the light we need on this for certainty.

Attachments

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
Here it is straight from the '12 Regal brochure which says it... So if the Regal Turbo is set for 20, it leaves one to question what the GS has given the bigger 3" exhaust, better intercooler (one would think... Wouldn't use the same one as the Turbo because the GS has a significant amount more power...), and the ECM tune... So IMHO, 24psi on a stock and 26psi on a Stage 1 doesn't seem all that far fetched and fairly logical to conclude...

I am still hoping someone with an actual vacuum driven boost gauge or someone that works at a dealer or at GM with the insider info can reay shed the light we need on this for certainty.
It's been verified by many on here that the 2011-2013 Regal T boost is 15psi +/- stock.... Take info from the brochures with a grain of salt as they often contain incorrect information.

The ko4 turbo starts to become out of its efficiency range past 24psi... Highly unlikely GM would push the GM Stage 1 kit past that mark.

I've been in the forced induction game and Ecotec engine world long before the Regals came out. I do know a thing or two about them.

Also, the differences between the 2011-2013 Regal T and 2012-2013 GS are the outlet ducting on the air intake, 3" exhaust vs. 2.5" exhaust, and the engine calibration (boost increase, timing, etc.). They both use the same intercooler and charge piping.

Last edited:

BlackPearl

A Regular
Parts Unknown NY
Buick Ownership
It's been verified by many on here that the 2011-2013 Regal T boost is 15psi +/- stock.... Take info from the brochures with a grain of salt as they often contain incorrect information.

The ko4 turbo starts to become out of its efficiency range past 24psi... Highly unlikely GM would push the GM Stage 1 kit past that mark.

I've been in the forced induction game and Ecotec engine world long before the Regals came out. I do know a thing or two about them.

Also, the differences between the 2011-2013 Regal T and 2012-2013 GS are the outlet ducting on the air intake, 3" exhaust vs. 2.5" exhaust, and the engine calibration (boost increase, timing, etc.). They both use the same intercooler and charge piping.
I thought it was the K03 turbo on here??? I say/ask this because I see everyone offer the K04 as the upgrade option... But yes, the bigger exhaust, intake ducting and ECM calibration will make up the rest of the difference...

And as have I been in the forced induction game as well for a while. My first was a '92 Typhoon. Same can be said for those and the erroneous power ratings... while on paper it says 280, but everyone will be more likely to verify that that number was more in the 325-350 range...

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
I thought it was the K03 turbo on here??? I say/ask this because I see everyone offer the K04 as the upgrade option... But yes, the bigger exhaust, intake ducting and ECM calibration will make up the rest of the difference...

And as have I been in the forced induction game as well for a while. My first was a '92 Typhoon. Same can be said for those and the erroneous power ratings... while on paper it says 280, but everyone will be more likely to verify that that number was more in the 325-350 range...
Its a Ko4.

They have upgraded ko4's in the aftermarket world, but stock the LHU Regals have the Ko4.