Hill Assist?

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Anyone else (with an Automatic – or are they all Autos???) - notice the goofy (or is it just me?) Hill Assist?

I thought that feature was only for “Stick Shift” vehicles?

When it is noticeable: Seems when stopping on a hill…. If/When you take your foot off the break, it holds for a ? second ? or two…. Then you start rolling backwards (if you don’t give it gas – or put your foot back on the break)

Again - I suppose it is a cool feature if you’ve got a Stick Shift and aren’t used to driving on hills???

But of what value is it on the Automatics? I suppose it’s kind of nice to know that you’re not using the Transmission to “hold” the vehicle still – perhaps even saving gas and strain on the motor???

But what is with the Hill Assist?.....

just pondering.

(Dang computer controlled cars) :confused:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I have this feature in my 2012 Focus too. I think it's a nice feature for what it's worth.

I've noticed it works in reverse with the Encore's too
..:mellow:

Cool on it working in reverse too. My manual transmission has hill assist too. Talk about electronic nannies the electric parking braking releases when the throttle is blipped.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
The question still remains…..

How is this assisting on the hill (from drifting back) when it only hold for 2 seconds?
Bothering the heck out of my wife!!!!

Again… great of your car is a stick.. BUT THE ENCORES ARE ALL AUTO???

Is it just me? (or perhaps ours is not working correctly)??????!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Mine has done that several times. I think it is a reminder to put the parking brake on when you park it on a hill, as well as leave the transmission in park. Just my idea, doesn't bother me.

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
On a steep hill, autos can and will roll back. Especially as the trans oil starts to lose viscosity as the miles pile on and most people never change their trans oil.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
I was wrong about Hill Assist. I don't think I fully understood what it is, what it does, and why it is an asset. Oh well, there are plenty of other gadgets I have to figure out. I am perplexed about Rainsense, which is another topic, so I won't go in to it.

Last edited:

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2014 White Encore Premium FWD
KSDeputy..
Hill-Assist works when the car is on a steep incline. Say you come to a stop and hold the brake. When it's time to move .. you switch your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.
Normally, at this point, the car will tend to roll backwards ( a little bit ).
Hill Assist will prevent this from happening.
Very useful in tight parking spots ( on a hill )

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
All the more “goofy” it is – It would make good sense “if the car was a stick” But with an automatic? Isn’t it always “In Gear”

Silly computer cars!?!?!??!?! J

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
It only works when you stop on a hill and the car is in drive the whole time. Like at a stop light or stop sign.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!