• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Hopefully, a New '13 GS Owner, w/some questions?

GoHack

Sustaining Member
SoCal
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, 6 Speed M/T, Navigation Package
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a 2013 Regal GS, 4-Cylinder Turbo w/a 6 Speed M/T, Smoky Gray Metallic, w/an Ebony Leather interior, w/60K miles on it, possibly tomorrow.

I just happen to catch it, doing a random search on the Autotrader. The dealer, just got it in trade, gave very little info on it, including no photos, but it did state that it had a 6 speed m/t, and the VIN number, so I immediately called, and was told that it was typo when it came to having a m/t. They said that they didn't come w/m/t's, but only w/auto's, and I argued w/them, telling them that they indeed did come w/m/t's, though rare, and asked if they could go and look and possibly take some photos. They said that they would. They later called back, stating that it indeed had an auto, having just talked to some manager, but by that time, I had traced the vehicle down, and believe it or not, to when it was originally sold brand new, including its photos, w/the matching VIN, and in the photos, it clearly showed it as having a m/t, and I told him that. They called later, and rather than have someone else look, they went and looked personally, and sure enough, it had the m/t. In fact it was going to be sent it off for auction thinking that it wasn't worth keeping until they personally saw it. They said that it was an absolutely beautiful car, and that it may of been mistakenly mixed up w/another Buick they had.

Anyway, I told them that I wanted to take a look at it, and if in good condition, buy it. They're asking $13, 745.

I had driven one a few years ago, and fell in love w/it, but couldn't make a deal w/the dealer at the time.

For one, I loved the leather seats, and how comfortable they were, the 20" polished aluminum wheels, the style of the vehicle, the performance, and most of all, it having a 6 speed manual transmission. It's an absolutely beautiful car, which I'm surprised that it never really caught peoples attention. Who's knows, maybe it'll later become a collectable when people start really looking at them used.

So what should I look for when checking it out? It's appears to be well serviced. I think I read someplace about the cam chain's tensioners wearing out prematurely? How about carbon build-up on the intake valves? Is this a Direct-Injection engine?

How about servicing? The dealer will certainly be changing the engine oil/filter, the air filter, and hopefully, the cab filter. I'll make sure that Full Synthetic oil is added.

Once home, I plan to immediately put a new battery in it, whether it needs it or not. It's just a habit I have. Change all the powertrain oils, including the manual transmission, hydraulic clutch, brakes, power steering, anti-freeze, and replacing the serpentine belt. Then after taking a good long ride, get the oil/oil filter changed again, making sure FULL Synthetic oil is added, w/a provided NAPA oil filter.

When it comes to engine oil, can say Amsoil or Penzsoil Ultra Full Synthetic Oil be used, or does it have to be GM's Dexos brand?

As for fuel, I always use Chevron. With the GS, I would imagine a high octane is required, which unfortunately, the highest we have here locally is 91 Octane. I plan to run some tanks w/some Techron added in order to clean the system, or would some Seafoam be better to run through the tank?

Oh, and get a full professional wash/wax job done, including doing the inside carpets and leather seats.

Any other suggestion(s) are welcome.

Oh, and finally, I've read that the headlight housings aren't being made any more, and are becoming rare to find new, and are very expensive even used. Anything else which I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
16 Encore, 12 Regal GS, 99 Ferrari 360, 01 Chevy Corvette Z06, 05 Chevy Silverado, 13 Ford Fusion
First off, you can get it for cheaper than that, the manuals tend to sit due to the decreased demand. To my understanding with the timing chain (feel free to correct), it was mostly due to the fact that GM called for oil changed every 10,000(!) miles, and then adjusted the oil life system to notify sooner. All my cars get oil changed at 3000 no matter what. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic, which is dexos compliant, just check the labels on your oil, it will say.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Average current retail price is 11,775. With that in mind you can determine how much you want the car in terms of price My only other suggestion is to take the car for a one hour test drive and make sure that the tire pressures are correct before the drive. 35 Cold all the way around. If you buy the car drive it on a shorter trip before signing papers and carefully inspect inside and out. Does the car fax show a regular maintenance history?

GoHack

Sustaining Member
SoCal
Buick Ownership
I do my oil/filter changes every 5K miles, even it asks for more. I use nothing but FULL Synthetic oil, generally Amsoil.

I've presently got a new 2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Wrangler, where I do changes every 5K miles. Jeep provides the first four (4) oil/filter changes free, w/a recommended oil change of 7K miles. The dealer uses Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil.

Oh, and my Jeep has a manual transmission, where I had to travel to Las Vegas, NV in order to find one, because manuals are virtually non-existent locally, except by ordering one directly from Chrysler.

As for the cost of a vehicle , this is the LA area, and while your right about people buying automatics a whole lot more than manuals, especially around here, but when it comes to this particular car, that may not be the case. They're rare. The closest other model, w/a manual transmission, is over a 1000 miles away. It has over 100K miles on it, and yes its price is around $10K, but this car has only 60K miles on it, and yes the Carfax shows it having a regular maintenance, and at a Chevy Dealership.

Then of course this is California, where nothing is cheap. ;)

PS - They just posted a picture of it this morning.

2013 Buick Regal GS.jpg

Last edited:

GoHack

Sustaining Member
SoCal
Buick Ownership
Hi,

Well I went and checked it out this morning, including test driving it. It's in excellent shape, a non-smoker, and loaded, including an in dash GPS, and after some negotiating, I got myself a 2013 GS w/a 6 speed manual transmission. :D It includes a 60 day, 1000 mile warranty.

It needs to be cleaned and waxed, though it's already fairly clean, including steam cleaning the engine compartment, which is dirty from general use. Of course, they'll be changing the engine oil/filter, engine air filter, and the cab filter inside, and hopefully, I'll be able to pick it up on Thursday or Friday next week. It appears to have fairly new tires, Pirelli's. At least one of the rims is scratched from rubbing up against a curb, but appears to just need to be polished out.

The leather seats look like new, and very comfortable.

It has no spare, but instead, comes w/an air pump. I'll have to look into a REAL spare, whether it be a temporary, or a full size wheel.

You know what, I forgot to have it put up on a lift in order to check the underside.

As for any cosmetic damage, I only saw one very small scratch, which just needs some minor touch up paint, other wise, the body is in beautiful shape.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Congrats!!! You will find info on this forum about spare tires that fit into that space. The pump has been in my garage since I bought the donut. The 20’s are tough to fix and very expensive to replace so be careful around curbs and potholes.
Enjoy!!

GoHack

Sustaining Member
SoCal
Buick Ownership
These are the original dealer photos of my vehicle when brand new.

Attachments

GoHack

Sustaining Member
SoCal
Buick Ownership
Well I went and picked up my GS today. The dealer even provided me an Uber ride from home, which is some 80 miles from the dealer.

Before I left the dealer in my GS, I activated the free three month Onstar Service, and had them do a remote diagnostics. The only thing that came up was that it needed an oil/filter change, which was just done. Maybe the system needed to be reset??? Anyway, I made an appointment at the local Buick dealership for an oil/filter change on Monday, which I plan to have 5W-30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic put in. The dealer from which I bought my GS from, is a Ford dealer, who only had Semi-Synthetic available, most likely Motocraft.

The fuel tank was half full, and not knowing what kind of fuel was in the tank relative to its octane, I immediately went and filled it up using 91. There was only a Shell station near the dealer, so I used it. I normally only use Chevron.

Once home, I went and stopped by a Chevron station, and before filling up, put a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner in, after which, I filled the tank up.

Left from there and took a long ride up to Dead Valley. It was 113 F there. No issues w/overheating, even w/the A/C going. One of the reasons for the trip was to enjoy my new GS, the other, my left headlight had condensation inside. I was hoping the heat would help get rid of it, together w/driving w/the headlights on. It worked, since most of the moisture disappeared.

I plan to get the manual transmission oil changed next week, as well as get a new battery.

Oh, and I need to find a spare tire kit. It has nothing but a pump in the trunk.

Last edited:

GoHack

Sustaining Member
SoCal
Buick Ownership
One question, are the 20" aluminum rims chrome plated, or just polished aluminum. A couple of the rims have some scratches from rubbing up against a curb. They're not bad, and I should be able to get them cleaned up.

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
16 Encore, 12 Regal GS, 99 Ferrari 360, 01 Chevy Corvette Z06, 05 Chevy Silverado, 13 Ford Fusion
Well I went and picked up my GS today. The dealer even provided me an Uber ride from home, which is some 80 miles from the dealer.

Before I left the dealer in my GS, I activated the free three month Onstar Service, and had them do a remote diagnostics. The only thing that came up was that it needed an oil/filter change, which was just done. Maybe the system needed to be reset??? Anyway, I made an appointment at the local Buick dealership for an oil/filter change on Monday, which I plan to have 5W-30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic put in. The dealer from which I bought my GS from, is a Ford dealer, who only had Semi-Synthetic available, most likely Motocraft.

The fuel tank was half full, and not knowing what kind of fuel was in the tank relative to its octane, I immediately went and filled it up using 91. There was only a Shell station near the dealer, so I used it. I normally only use Chevron.

Once home, I went and stopped by a Chevron station, and before filling up, put a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner in, after which, I filled the tank up.

Left from there and took a long ride up to Dead Valley. It was 113 F there. No issues w/overheating, even w/the A/C going. One of the reasons for the trip was to enjoy my new GS, the other, my left headlight had condensation inside. I was hoping the heat would help get rid of it, together w/driving w/the headlights on. It worked, since most of the moisture disappeared.

I plan to get the manual transmission oil changed next week, as well as get a new battery.

Oh, and I need to find a spare tire kit. It has nothing but a pump in the trunk.
Yeah, you can reset it using the buttons on the left hand side lever behind the steering wheel..nothing wrong with Shell/Pennzoil, if it's good enough for Ferrari, it's good enough for Buick ;) I use nothing but Mobil 1 in all my other cars, it's Dexos compliant, full synthetic, and Walmart sells the 5 quart jug for $22.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Congrats on your new ride. Hope it gives you years of trouble free operation and sh.. eating grins on the twistys.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
One question, are the 20" aluminum rims chrome plated, or just polished aluminum. A couple of the rims have some scratches from rubbing up against a curb. They're not bad, and I should be able to get them cleaned up.
The 20's are polished with clear coat on them.

Pedal Commander