• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

hose and coolant change- 3800 series 3

G-310867

Replacing the upper and lower coolant hoses on a 2006 3800 V6. How are you supposed to drain and flush coolant? Don't see any radiator drain- is the only way to remove the lower hose from the radiator? That's the hardest clamp to get to. Searches here don't get me answers, and relevant Youtubes are all poorly done. Is there a good tutorial anywhere that I'm missing?

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
I said F it and had it done at a shop. Also, one those hoses, lower I believe, is upwards of $80 for whatever reason. And, correct, there is no drain spout.

Not sure how long you've had this car but it is a designed service nightmare/cash cow.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
No radiator drain, so depending on what you have access to I used a 1/2 drill bit with extension on the lower hose to drain. The only other way is removal the hose end or cut the hose just to keep it from flooding the area, yes it's a PITA, but shops have a evacuation system for fluid removal.

If it hasn't been done yet you may want to swap the plastic elbows on the block with the metal ones as the coolant will be out.

Here's the process on filling and cycling to hopefully remove air pockets.

Attachments

sandman900ss

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
That Chilton manual link makes no mention of the procedure for air bleed on the thermostat housing top! And there's no reason to remove the air box and intake deflector for any access.

Understood about having to remove or cut lower hose to drain coolant.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You are correct on some of those instructions, it may be what they got from GM for extra hours (?), and the bleeder on the thermostat housing but then again I rarely read instructions unless I have extra parts or it doesn't fit lol. Be happy it's not the Northstar!

sandman900ss

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Agree- that Chilton manual's instructions are worse than useless. Didn't even mention the bleeder- great help right there. How can you flush out the coolant- just refill, warm up, drain through lower hose removal, repeat?

I excluded purchasing any Lucerne with that Northstar engine because of the many well known issues/problems.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
Agree- that Chilton manual's instructions are worse than useless. Didn't even mention the bleeder- great help right there. How can you flush out the coolant- just refill, warm up, drain through lower hose removal, repeat?

I excluded purchasing any Lucerne with that Northstar engine because of the many well known issues/problems.
I had a brand new 2002 Cadillac DTS with the Northstar. Thought I was moving on up in the world. GM repurchased that nightmare. I wanted a 3800 again. There were two Lucernes on the lot. I took the one with the 3800, higher miles and less options than the one with the Northstar. Never again with that coolant spewing, oil burning, won't start "can't duplicate problem", diesel sounding "carbon rap" Northstar nightmare.

Trivia:. I stopped at a gas station across from a GM plant in Livonia Michigan way back then. The owner said his brother worked at that plant. He asked how I liked my Cadillac. I told him it's been in the service shop more than I've driven it. He said there were 1,000 defective Northstars in that plant across the street and his brother was told to "use them anyway". True story.

Last edited:

sandman900ss

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Good lord. That's shameful- no wonder GM went bankrupt. This is my fourth 3800 engine, had 3 Bonnevilles with them so I trust them.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
Yes, great engine.......but everything surrounding it will have to be replaced within 80,000 miles then again at 150,000 miles. Ford isn't much better and God knows Chrysler is worse than both of them but GM will be out of business and unheard of in the U.S. within 5 years. Signed, Detroit
Good lord. That's shameful- no wonder GM went bankrupt. This is my fourth 3800 engine, had 3 Bonnevilles with them so I trust them.
[/QUOTE

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
Yes, great engine.......but everything surrounding it will have to be replaced within 80,000 miles then again at 150,000 miles. Ford isn't much better and God knows Chrysler is worse than both of them but GM will be out of business and unheard of in the U.S. within 5 years. Signed, Detroit
I used to think Chrysler was garbage also but went out and bought a new 300 in 2013 anyway. Traded it with just under 100,000 miles. All that was ever done to it was brake pads, tires, and an alternator recall. My wife now drives a 2016 and I drive a 2019. They look good, ride nice, have a lot more guts than the 3800 GM engine and have had no issues or regrets whatsoever.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
I used to think Chrysler was garbage also but went out and bought a new 300 in 2013 anyway. Traded it with just under 100,000 miles. All that was ever done to it was brake pads, tires, and an alternator recall. My wife now drives a 2016 and I drive a 2019. They look good, ride nice, have a lot more guts than the 3800 GM engine and have had no issues or regrets whatsoever.
Overall Chrysler is the worst. I work for them (and believed this before I even started working for them). That 300 is a nice car, I considered one but need an SUV again so it will be a 4Runner. Those Chrysler products also have the worst resale value of all of them too. The plant I work at, um, well.....it's 95% black. And 75% of those just don't give a F. I hear bolts and screws getting cross threaded all day. Missed/incomplete electrical connections. Yelling, screaming, chicken and Cheetoh eating, it's a party for most of them. Line stopping and incomplete work because of the cellphones (literally watching videos and texting). They DO NOT take that job seriously, especially the younger ones with the 7" fingernails. Music blaring from Bluetooth speakers laden with the N and F words everywhere. I am ashamed to work there. During orientation they literally told them "This is not da club". It's a social and daily meet/greet event for them. The 300 is built in Canada I believe.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
I can agree on resale value is poor, and I went in knowing that. Knock on wood, my experience has been great with the 300. The dealer gave me a 200 loaner when my 300 was in the aletnator recall. Now there is a piece of junk. Neighbor's son has a Jeep, (not sure what model...small) and it is junk. My wife's friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Beautiful machine, albeit only a few months old. The situation in the plant you describe is outrageous. As in all the news these days, perhaps you should become a "whistleblower". Yes, the 300 is made in Brampton, just outside, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Maybe the Canadian factory is run much better as all three of my 300s have been great.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
The only Jeep that holds any type of value is the Wrangler. I worked for a Chrysler/Jeep car dealership for a short period in Chicago while transitioning back to my home state. Those 200's were junk. It's really a shame as that was a nice car. That CEO Sergio Marchionne's first mission with Chrysler was to "get that cheap plastic out of the interiors of those cars!". That was a MAJOR problem I had with those earlier 300s. WTH, it was like a Tonka toy on the inside. We had to go on competitor drives up against our models. Out of the Camry, Accord, Fusion, etc. that 200 was really the nicest of them all BUT I drove them with 10/20,000 miles on them and that transmission would CLUNK in 1st 2nd gears. Chrysler has always been notorious for transmission problems since the beginning of time so.......let's add some more gears! There were about 2 of those 200s on the lot that literally both had dust on them. American cars in that market are just not going to happen but those Jeep Grand Cherokees were the rage with the yuppies a few years ago. If Meghan has one, then Courtney has to have one too! If they knew they were built on the East side of Detroit (the BAD side), I'm sure they'd flip their wigs.

Funny, just before your message I built out a 300C on the Chrysler site. It might be a consideration since I heard they are continuing them for 2020 after rumors of being scrapped. I really want that 4Runner but am considering getting back into real estate on the side (did very well until the market crashed years ago). I didn't realize you can only get the V6 in the sport model S or whatever they call it. 300C is fine, I want the V8. No resale value but with employee discount it could be a wash. Chryslers weren't even a consideration before they upgraded those interiors but now they might be back in the game with me. I considered a used one last year. There are hundreds of used ones sitting on lots in the Detroit area. Example: 2 year old 300S, fully loaded, panoramic sunroof, leather, V6 BUT the sport edition, Beats and Thugs sound system or whatever, AWD, 20K miles........$23,000....about 5 of them in my general vicinity and sitting there for months - still under full warranty. Sticker price in the $40,000s yet that cheap with that low miles just 2 years later. My experience with the dealerships.....Chrysler is known for the $7,000 "rebates" to help those pay off the outstanding loan on their 1999 Cadillac to get into a new car. This hurts resale value dramatically, along with the bad reputation and quality problems of course.

sandman900ss

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm going to highjack this Chrysler discussion and return to update my original topic. Task completed. Difficult to access to the spring type hose clamps (all except one)- they're recessed and buried. Very glad I bought a cable type clamp removal tool, it made it easier- you cannot get to those oem clamps otherwise. Well worth the money:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Glad you got the issue resolved, I probably should have mentioned about the puller but most really don't like to invest in tools. Oh bipolarzak likes to let everyone know he owns a perfect 300, WTF it's a Lucerne fourm and polarzak you sold yours so move on LMAO.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
Glad you got the issue resolved, I probably should have mentioned about the puller but most really don't like to invest in tools. Oh bipolarzak likes to let everyone know he owns a perfect 300, WTF it's a Lucerne fourm and polarzak you sold yours so move on LMAO.
Nah, the more ridiculous thing is that there's a whole thread about a simple procedure such as changing a headlight bulb or flushing coolant in a car that was engineered to be a service nightmare and Buick dealership service department cash cow.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
I am so sorry you are so obsessed with me, even though you agreed to stop your nonsense. I was just having a pleasant interaction with a gentlemen (who mentioned Chrysler first, not me) and along comes you with your insults. Seems you are quite jealous that I have moved on to new cars and have a real life, while you are living your virtual life through a website with a twelve year old vehicle. If anyone is laughing their ass off, it is me.

sandman900ss

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I posted my update with the link to the tool I used, so that this thread would be helpful to other Lucerne 3800 owners doing a forum search on coolant hose replacement.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
I am so sorry you are so obsessed with me, even though you agreed to stop your nonsense. I was just having a pleasant interaction with a gentlemen (who mentioned Chrysler first, not me) and along comes you with your insults. Seems you are quite jealous that I have moved on to new cars and have a real life, while you are living your virtual life through a website with a twelve year old vehicle. If anyone is laughing their ass off, it is me.
I just laughed out loud at work.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Either way my 2017 Suburban isn't 12 years old which I will assume is the level of your maturity. I also still own a 1995 Lesabre which is 24 years old at 176k as you seem to like keeping score. The Lucerne well yes it's 12 years old, has only turn 66k this year so WTF would I get rid of a perfectly good automobile. Unlike you I know how to maintain a automobile to maximize my investment.

1564067259073.jpg
20190514_134333.jpg

But you just keep buying those new 300 money losing pits, buy, loose money on trade in, repeat process ongoing as the Fiat folks love smart customers like you. I have to agree that after seeing the Dart and Jeep products roll off the assembly lines in the IL plant I'm surprised that any could make it to the dealer lot, some couldn't even get out the hold yard.

Have a great day!

Back on subject, I picked this kit up off Ebay KD 3835 fairly cheap, beside the clamp the addtional pullers work on the other hard to reach areas like rear plugs, etc.
1570899673120254569082.jpg

Pedal Commander