Hot Rod Regal!

Barry

Palm Springs, CA.
2012 LaCrosse Mocha Steel Prem. pkg, chrome wheels HUD, 2013 Verano Turbo Mocha Bronze Metallic.
Went to my dealer today for first oil change and tire rotation. On the showroom floor was a hottie! Regal, black with black leather. Benbo brakes, wild looking wheels and a 6 speed STICK! MSRP $38,450. That's a new factory offering according to the salesman.

H_Charles

2011 LaCrosse CXS, 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is, 2011 Acura MDX
That would be the new Regal GS. A very solid effort at a performance sedan, but a bit underpowered. It looks quicker than it is, unfortunately, and really should be AWD.
At $38K you exit the market of boosted 4 cylinder FWD cars (like the Kia Optima Turbo, Sonata Turbo) and you start bumping up against true sport sedans like the BMW 3, Infiniti G series or even the Caddy CTS, and those cars are RWD and much quicker (at least the first two are).

A shame they didn't throw the 325HP V-6 and AWD system from the Opel Insignia OPC that GM sells in Europe (plug and play), as that powertrain would have befit the sharp looks of the GS. That setup in a car as light as the Regal would produce a true AWD performance sedan, and make $38K look like a deal.

Still, an excellent first effort at a performance Regal, and they got a lot right with the car. The seats, brakes, and steering wheel are awesome.

H_Charles

2011 LaCrosse CXS, 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is, 2011 Acura MDX
At 3710lbs. I don't think you can call it light...

John

I didn't say it was a light car in a general sense. I said that if it had had the 325HP HP Opel Insignia engine and AWD system (the European Regal GS), at that light of weight, the car would be quick. The power to weight ratio improves dramatically with that engine. Perhaps I should have said weight -- we are in a LaCrosse forum, and compared to our highest performance versions (the V-6), it is light. This analogy was simply as a frame of reference for anticipated acceleration with that kind of power compared to the heavier and less powerful LaCrossee V-6.

The AWD system amd bigger engine would add weight (the Opel weighs in at 3900lbs ballpark I think), but the Insignia hits 60 in well under 6 seconds and has AWD grip, vs the 6.7 seconds to 60 Buick quotes for the FWD Regal GS.

That's a very big difference in accerlation and grip during acceleration, and would make $38K much more justifiable in today's market. If you Google the Opel Insignia OPC, you will see a Regal GS staring you in the face, so it's really disappointing that GM gives Europeans a true sports sedan and makes it's home country make do with an an underpowered FWD 4 cylinder.

I know cost played a role, but come on -- we are the home team!

Last edited:
Turbo Buick Badge