• If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense...

How accurate is the MPG meter?

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
On my late '03 Park Avenue, there was an MPG meter, and you could read the gallons used as well. I found almost invariably that the former was 10% too high and the latter 10% too low: an MPG readout of 22 meant actually 20, and so on. I paid cash for gas then, so I would mentally add 10% to the gallons used display figure, multiply x $3.00 (the price then), and hand the clerk about $5 more than that, just in case. Worked out fine.

After a 25-mile round trip at freeway speeds last night, the LaCrosse's MPG meter is saying I have 23. Have you found your meter to correspond reasonably to the answer when you fill up and calculate (miles since last fill-up / gallons needed to hit "full")? If not, high, or low, and is it pretty consistent?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You do realize a 16 year old gas sender may no longer be accurate? There is a known issue on certain cars that additives in the gas can effect the sender. One method to lessen the chance of that is to periodically add a bottle of Techron 2, black bottle.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
You do realize a 16 year old gas sender may no longer be accurate? There is a known issue on certain cars that additives in the gas can effect the sender. One method to lessen the chance of that is to periodically add a bottle of Techron 2, black bottle.
The Park Avenue story was just for background. I don't have that car any more. I owned it from 2007 to 2014, and right from the start (age four) it reported as I described above. And a dose of Techron was a regular part of my prep for an oil change.