How difficult is it to change a fuel pump on the 98 regal gs?

Buick Ownership
1998 Regal GS
For the past week I have been noticing a high pitch noise as well as a gassy smell which seems to be coming from the fuel pump. Today I noticed that it has a huge loss in power and will kinda chug when giving it throttle? Im pretty sure it's a bad pump and if so how hard is it to replace?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Not sure Sal checks every post To answer the question, remove the contents of the trunk including the floor liner. There should be an access panel to the pump. If there is first disconnect the negative battery connection and release fuel pressure before proceeding with the pump removal

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
The pump has an access lid in the trunk right behind the seats. just open the middle of the rear seats to the trunk.... fold the carpet back and you'll see the access lid.
It's shouldn't be too hard.

I Rewired the fuel pump on a 98 Regal LS, but never actually took it out.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Not sure Sal checks every post To answer the question, remove the contents of the trunk including the floor liner. There should be an access panel to the pump. If there is first disconnect the negative battery connection and release fuel pressure before proceeding with the pump removal
Just trying to help; otherwise why have dedicated model sub-forums?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.