• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

How do you remove Engine Cover?

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Want to check plugs on my Tour-X. The engine cover is held in place with three “screws”!or “bolts”.
How do you get them off?
Not Phillips head.
Not Straight edge.

How do I unscrew them to get engine cover off?

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
It looks like there's a special tool for that fastener, but I was able to loosen and tighten mine with a Torx T30 tool. But try this at your own risk: just because it worked for me doesn't guarantee that it won't damage the fasteners on yours.

Anaduff

Associate Member
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS, 2003 Jaguar X-Type
Here's the page from the service manual:

EngineCover.jpg

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Tomorrow, I’ll check my tool box to see if I have any Torx bits, or anything else that will fit.

Funny that up until 15 years ago, I always traveled with my toolbox, but I no longer do because with modern cars, there is not much I can fix while on a trip. Not even sure what tools are in there.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Tomorrow, I’ll check my tool box to see if I have any Torx bits, or anything else that will fit.

Funny that up until 15 years ago, I always traveled with my toolbox, but I no longer do because with modern cars, there is not much I can fix while on a trip. Not even sure what tools are in there.
I'm getting closer to 60K and for fun I just loosened mine with Torx 30 bit. Worked fine. I have 3/8" bits but also find this tool useful to carry in my car/motorcycle. Home depot, Ace, etc., carries them.

1659758172651.png

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Ok. Found a Torx bit. I think a Gorilla installed those screws. They were TIGHT. Finally got them loose. Left them finger tight as I don’t have time to work on it right now.

Went to Advance Auto and bought my favorite Double Platinum AutoLite APP 5863. Only $5.95 each. (I don’t want or need the more expensive plugs as I’ve always had good luck with the
APP Plugs.)

Does anyone know how difficult is it to remove the ignition coils on top of each plug?

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Does anyone know how difficult is it to remove the ignition coils on top of each plug?

It's pretty easy. If I recall correctly, there is a red clip which you need to slide horizontally to unlock. Then push down on the tab and the harness will release. Then pull coil straight up and out.

As far as the engine cover screws....you can also use a flathead screwdriver. It fits off center on the screwhead, but it works.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
It's pretty easy. If I recall correctly, there is a red clip which you need to slide horizontally to unlock. Then push down on the tab and the harness will release. Then pull coil straight up and out.

As far as the engine cover screws....you can also use a flathead screwdriver. It fits off center on the screwhead, but it works.
Thanks. If I have time tomorrow morning, I will change the plugs.

Checked in my toolbox to make sure I have the correct socket and everything I need. Years ago, I always carried my tools when I traveled. Often had to fix things on the road. About 20 years ago, I no longer had to fix things. About 15 years ago decided to no longer carry tools because cars now so complex, nothing much I could do to fix on the road.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Note. Cold engine.
Got coils off. HOWEVER? could not break plugs loose. Must have been a gorilla that installed plugs.

Now will try getting plugs out with engine warm or hot. Back in old days, when installing new plugs in hot engine, I’d screw in plugs NOT TIGHT. Let them “Heat Soak” for a while before I would snug them tight.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Un hooked the two coils on driver side, however could not unhook the two on passenger.

Managed to break free spark plug on driver side but will wait until I can unhook the two passenger side coils before I go back and try to pull plugs. Will try with cold engine.

Oh for the days when I could pull a spark plug wire and pull plugs.
EASY. No wonder why dealer visits cost so much.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
SUCCESS.
The trick to unsnap the Coil connection is to have “Short Fingernails”, to push down on the BLACK Tab, once Red Locking tab pulled out.

Pulled Coils out. Broke plugs loose then removed them. (AC Delco - Did not look bad). Installed new AutoLite APP5863
Double Platinum plugs. (Very reasonable price of less than $6.00 each.) Put everything back together. Hit starter button and
Car Started INSTANTLY. INSTANTLY!!!! Car has never started instantly with engine cold.

Got to thinking “when was the last time I changed spark plugs.
Had to be one of my my 92 Camry or possibly one of my 98 Continentals. Glad I still have all my tools. (But nothing much you can do to modern day cars).

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
SUCCESS.
The trick to unsnap the Coil connection is to have “Short Fingernails”, to push down on the BLACK Tab, once Red Locking tab pulled out.

Pulled Coils out. Broke plugs loose then removed them. (AC Delco - Did not look bad). Installed new AutoLite APP5863
Double Platinum plugs. (Very reasonable price of less than $6.00 each.) Put everything back together. Hit starter button and
Car Started INSTANTLY. INSTANTLY!!!! Car has never started instantly with engine cold.

Got to thinking “when was the last time I changed spark plugs.
Had to be one of my my 92 Camry or possibly one of my 98 Continentals. Glad I still have all my tools. (But nothing much you can do to modern day cars).
Your car wasn't starting instantly before???

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Your car wasn't starting instantly before???
Nope. Would crank between two to eight seconds before starting. Only when engine cold, as first start in morning.

Once engine warm, it would start right up.

Although started instantly after I changed plugs today, Will see how it works out the next few cold starts

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Nope. Would crank between two to eight seconds before starting. Only when engine cold, as first start in morning.

Once engine warm, it would start right up.

Although started instantly after I changed plugs today, Will see how it works out the next few cold starts
Weird. Mine starts instantly even in below zero weather.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Started instantly again this morning. 👍🙏

Keeping fingers crossed. Amazing how a change of plugs can help cold start up. You

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Started instantly again this morning. 👍🙏

Keeping fingers crossed. Amazing how a change of plugs can help cold start up. You
Disappointed. This morning , cold engine, car cranked five seconds before starting. BUMMER. Oh well, all I wasted was the cost of four spark plugs and my time.

At least car always starts instantly when engine warm or automatic stop/start.