How good are these GM Turbo 4's?

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Since I have no previous experience with GM engines (my Pontiac Vibe has a Toyota engine) I've been wondering what to expect from these GM turbo 4 cylinder engines as I pile up the miles from those who know these engines. I asked this question on a few other threads and am getting some response, but maybe others have the same questions,, so a separate thread probably makes sense.

I always perform oil changes in about 5,000 mile intervals, so any thoughts on the miles we can expect to get out of these engines and turbos---100K miles, 200k miles??

Any hints on proper turbo maintenance to insure longevity? Does using the proper gas octane help longevity of the turbo at all?

Thanks for your input.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
No need to stick with a set 5k change interval. Let the oil health monitor do the work for you. 5k miles is quite low when using a good synthetic oil. I’ve been doing 10k changes on my TDI for over 290k miles, and that’s the factory interval, with lots of soot suspension in the oil.

Octane doesn’t play into turbo health. EGTs do, but I don’t see this being an issue with this car unless you’re towing 3k lbs up a mountain pass.

If you wanted to be over the top, you could let the car idle for 3-5 minutes after driving to let the turbo cool down, but even that is excessive.

Rules of thumb:
-Use full synthetic oil
-Don’t get into lots of boost until the engine is warmed up
-Replace the air filter at the recommended interval

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
With that oil change interval +300,000 miles should be expected from the turbocharger. The rebuild kits are about $50.00 as I have rebuilt them by purchasing a kit off of ebay.

The GM Ecotec 2.0T has been around since 2006 and has been proven super reliable.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I agree with and follow Rhetoric's Rules of Thumb even though my car has an earlier Ecotec turbo, the LHU. After two years, I find my 2L turbo to be as stout of a motor as the Ecotec that came before it.

Before my Verano, I drove a 2006 Saturn Ion with a 2.4L LE5 Ecotec from 5 until 126,xxx miles, or as some would say, until it was just broken in. I ran full synthetic oil in it and regularly changed its air filters but it wasn't turbocharged. I'm sure it would have kept going but other systems on the car began to fail so I traded it while it was still worth more than scrap value.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I’m on my second Regal with the LHU engine and I think that it is pretty impressive. I have always been one to closely follow the maintenance schedule and recommendations from the manufacturer and I have always used a dealer to perform the work. While there are always a number of failures with any type of engine, the vast majority of today’s engines will last longer than their owners want to keep the car.

dmr02

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
As long as they resolved the piston issue the LTG is pretty bulletproof. I drove my '14 very hard and aside from the piston issue didn't have any problems. I saw Regals driven by elderly people with much much less kilometers on their Regal drop pistons so in my opinion that is the only downfall of the engine. It seemed like no matter how you drove it the pistons would fail at some point....but I am sure they fixed that issue...I would hope!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Besides Solstice also had one in 15 ATS, I traded on TourX.
Bought stripped one, except for Brembo/2.0T package.
It ran good no problem, but hated Cue. It was closest could get to rear wheel drive Pontiac, since I will not buy a Chevvy!

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
If GM recommends high-octane, then use it. It's not a longevity issue, it's a power and efficiency issue.[/QUOTE]

And "avoid detonation" issue.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
If GM recommends high-octane, then use it. It's not a longevity issue, it's a power and efficiency issue.
And "avoid detonation" issue.[/QUOTE]

Meh. The computer has multiple timing maps and avoids this on its own. I don’t see a need to pay premium prices for a ‘recommendation.’ If it was a requirement, then I would.

I’d be more concerned about using poor quality any-octane fuel that would cause fuel system or carbon deposit issues.

Who knows, if my engine implodes before those who were using only 93 then I’ll eat my words.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
As long as they resolved the piston issue the LTG is pretty bulletproof. I drove my '14 very hard and aside from the piston issue didn't have any problems. I saw Regals driven by elderly people with much much less kilometers on their Regal drop pistons so in my opinion that is the only downfall of the engine. It seemed like no matter how you drove it the pistons would fail at some point....but I am sure they fixed that issue...I would hope!
Me Too! Piston failure is totally unacceptable in a newer car. We had aluminum forged pistons back in the 60's-70's and never had a failure. What happened to that process?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Me Too! Piston failure is totally unacceptable in a newer car. We had aluminum forged pistons back in the 60's-70's and never had a failure. What happened to that process?
I think you’re really romanticizing about the quality of cars back then. I seem to recall GM using aluminum heads on iron blocks and that not working out so well due to metallurgical differences. Saying ‘never had a failure’ is a bit blind as I’ve seen plenty of failed aluminum pistons; no matter if cast, hypereutectic, or forged.

I do agree that a major mechanically failure like that is truly unacceptable, but also understand that it happens. As long as it is rectified with a warranty....

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
These engines in the past had more specific power per cubic inch then any other GM engine.
With GMPP upgrade, Solstice coupe was into high 12 second quarter mile times.

IMG_20171202_150546152_HDR.jpg Picture of Coupe and CTS with Ecotec Turbos.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
No piston failures, just entire car failures as the Pinto, Vega and Omni come to mind LMAO. Nylon timing gear, another great engineering concept from the 60's, so let's not get to perfect on those days past as lots of things were still done incorrectly.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Appreciate the reply's. I was concerned about the turbo longevity and any ongoing maintenance needed but it sounds like the turbo and engine are good and solid following recommended oil changes.

Do these engines have timing chains or belts?