How has your experience been? Hints and tips

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal Turbo
Hey everyone, new to the forums and an owner of a 2013 Regal Turbo with the manual transmission. 69k miles and is also my first turbo car. Still has 10k miles of CPO warranty. I just came from a supercharged Grand Prix I have only had it a couple days now and it seems like a great car. I am not having any issues, just curious to see how everyone elses experience has been so far. The positive and the negative. Any reccommendations for preventative maintenance? Not being familiar with turbos, is a catch can a good idea? Does a vendor tune that doesnt max out boost help extend the life? The turbo has already been replaced on this car along with a few sensors and runs great. Any input is appreciated I will persue performance in the future but anything to insure and extend the longevity is my main goal.

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Royal Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Buick Ownership
None right now
Hey everyone, new to the forums and an owner of a 2013 Regal Turbo with the manual transmission. 69k miles and is also my first turbo car. Still has 10k miles of CPO warranty. I just came from a supercharged Grand Prix I have only had it a couple days now and it seems like a great car. I am not having any issues, just curious to see how everyone elses experience has been so far. The positive and the negative. Any reccommendations for preventative maintenance? Not being familiar with turbos, is a catch can a good idea? Does a vendor tune that doesnt max out boost help extend the life? The turbo has already been replaced on this car along with a few sensors and runs great. Any input is appreciated I will persue performance in the future but anything to insure and extend the longevity is my main goal.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Congratulations on your Regal GS! I'm moving this into the Regal forum where it'll get more exposure...

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Welcome and enjoy your new to you ride! I drove a 2011 Regal Turbo and enjoyed it so much that I replaced it with a 2013 Regal GS which is my present daily driver. The LHU seems to be a wonderful engine and the maintenance is really minimal compared to many brands. My only real gripe is the fuel efficiency which at an average of 23.4 is not terrific. Overall though the Regal has been the best car I’ve owned.

Annandale, VA
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Afternoon guys,

I have the 2012 GS - LHU engine. I'll just share with you what I've have repaired thus far and the issues I am having:

- Turbo replacement
- My air bag is off centered and can't be repaired, says dealership - Google it!
- I have a very loud tick tick tick tick sound from the engine -
- I still have a whine that no one at the dealership can hear, only me!
- I have a loud popping noise coming from the rear of my car when I back up or leave my driveway on the first drive of each morning.
- The transmission (MR6) jerks and grinds; mostly in 2nd and 3rd gears; 1st to 2nd in rush hour - don't get me started!
- I have had both front strut mounts and struts replaced.
- I've had my axles replaced - Had to take it an independent shop to have the work done because the dealership was clueless -(
)
- Parking brake replaced as it would not disengage
- Water pump replaced
- Power steering pump replaced
- Trunk release pad replaced
- Timing chain kit done
- Pass. side mirror replaced
- I've had code PIP5042b stored as a transmission code. It means... Wait for it *PIP5042B - Vibration In Second And Third Gears Only. Dealership says there is no issue with the transmission* Per my research, it's a worn second gear blocker ring and synchronizer.
- I've had P2A00 stored in the ECU. P2A00 code means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected a voltage reading from the oxygen (O2) sensor for engine bank 1 that is outside of normal parameters. They replaced the oxygen sensor. It hasn't resolve the issue. They found this when complaining of how much gas I was using. I was at the gas station every week. -And no I don't dog the car out- The car has never been over 80 and I only use 93 gas in the car. I take care of the maintenance like clock work. I'm the type of car owner that hates to see red or yellow vehicle warning lights on in my car. I understand that I have a GDI engine and do the necessary maintenance to address the flaw with these engines.

I just went through all of the 32 invoices I've received from the dealership to give you the details above. The past two years of having this car has been a nightmare. I am still fighting with the dealership/Fedlity Warranty Company in regards to some of the items listed above. I am stuck between both entities.

For the life of me, I can't understand how a dealership (Lindsay Cadillac of Alexandria) can sale you a service contract on a GM made car and don't know how to fix it or just won't fix it! Then I thought, maybe Fidelity has the dealership by the balls and won't let them fix the issue as they control the purse strings. Per my math, they've spent 5K on the list above. I must say, I love this site. It has allow me to research and study the issues with this car, so I am not looking stupid when I confront both parties about my issues.

I'll wrap this up, I could go on! In closing, this has been my experience with the 2012 Buick Regal GS!

#bebest :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

-

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
oh man just wow :cry:

there is a fairly reputable place here in denver that will remove your transmission and crack it open for $89 with no strings attached. if you decide to do repairs, the $89 goes toward your bill. If you decide to do nothing, still only $89. i dont know if there has ever been a really solid built functioning manual trans in an american car since ive been on this planet. But the GS manual trans is just not fun to drive and I am seriously considering throwing some good money at upgrades, including clutch and synchros and shortening the throw...

Buick Ownership
Buick
- front axle, wheel bearing replacement at 30k (CPO covered)
- Random Navi SD card fails
- Random bluetooth disconnect from vehicle
- trunk release switch fail 60k
- Intermittent interior lights fail when doors open
- intermittent Stabilitrak error message
- passenger visor rod fail 50k ($110)
- Complete engine rebuild 55k ($4400)
- Noticeable burps in power band
- Significant turbo lag
- 2 piece stock lug nuts (20" wheels); will warp and separate
- Drivers seat heater fail 57k

I still love the car though...looks and handling are outstanding, but I will NEVER buy another GM product. How can I??

Sorry.

bwryan

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Northern Virginia
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS 6MT
Thought I'd just chime in on behalf of all those who've been problem-free. :) My 2012 GS is at 65K miles, just had the front pads and rotors replaced, all it has needed is scheduled maintenance in the 2 1/2 years I've had it. I'm still itching to get it BNR tuned, but it does well with the GM factory performance intake and tune. I still wish it shifted as well as my 3-series did, but with the maintenance costs I doubt I'll ever own another BMW. That was one of the big reasons I decided to try the Regal, and I've not been disappointed in that respect at all.

Bwryan

kgoebz

Ottawa ON
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I’ve had my 12 GS for almost 4 years now and its been great. Bought with 18k kms and have 65k kms now.

I’ve had the following repairs:
-rear wheel bearing
-keyless entry module
-two front axles
-lower door seam rust bubbling

Most solid car I’ve ever owned.

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
After 70K miles my 2014 just needed a rear wheel bearing. It's been a very dependable car considering I drive it hard since it's tuned.

I also had a couple supercharged Grand Prix's. They are fun cars but the turbo Buick pulls harder.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
Dude, screw it and go somewhere else and get it fix. If buick isn't trying to fix it or figure it out.

JONNYESS

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
but anyone who buys a turbo engine SHOULD understand that the turbo needs some "lag" time to spool up before you get a boost. if you want instant boost, rip out the turbo and go with supercharger mod.
ahh, but Mazda's engineers apparently figured it out for the 2018 Mazda6...

Cleveland, OH
Buick Ownership
Buick
My DD before my Regal GS was a 2001 GTP coupe. A fun car but the fit and finish in the later model vehicles compared to early 2000s GM is leaps and bounds.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.