How much oil does your series ii 3800 consume?

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue
How much oil do your NA and FI 3800 burn?

So, I recently got my 99 park avenue ultra, and it appears to be burning some oil. It appears to be a quart 1000 miles. However, I just replaced the pcv valve and its either the original or pretty darn old, because it didnt have hardly any shake to it. And Im fairly convinced it was held open and my intake was just sucking oil in slowly over 1000 miles, so my oil consumption may be lower or none.
My 98, bless her soul, doesn't burn any oil at 170k miles, and if it werent for the junked suspension I would still be driving her.

With a motor with 204000 miles on it, it seems to be doing pretty well even if it burned that much. Soon, I will be doing a fresh oil change with high quality synthetic and that could help, too. When I do that I will get my oil pressure sensor replaced. What kind of psi readings should I expect on a 3800 supercharged?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
1 quart every 3000 miles is within the window of "normal", but if it starts gets excessively higher it may be something to consider to look into.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The most common problem for excessive oil consumption on a higher mileage Series II engine, would be the valve seals. Been there, done that and no longer an issue!

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
The most common problem for excessive oil consumption on a higher mileage Series II engine, would be the valve seals. Been there, done that and no longer an issue!
My 3800 has 107,000 miles and consumes about a quart every 1500 miles. Concerning the valve stem seal replacement is this about the mileage that replacement is needed?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
My 3800 has 107,000 miles and consumes about a quart every 1500 miles. Concerning the valve stem seal replacement is this about the mileage that replacement is needed?
It is not about the mileage, but what kind of oil syenthic/dino & if regular maintenance was performed. You have high oil consumption @ 1500-miles and it will eventually kill the CAT, if it has not already. A good test of the oil seal leakage, is to start the engine and let it idle for 5-10 min, then accelerate rapidly to see if you have blue smoke from the exhaust. If you do see blue smoke, you have a valve seal problem.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
how did you go about fixing yours? Pulling off the head and cleaning them up?
I went a little bit further than "pulling the heads and cleaning them up" with my sons help. We decided to install new ehaust valves, seals, valve guides, LSI beehive valve springs, high lift rockers, head deck angle cut -.020, complete S/C rebuild front to rear, and other improvements along the way. The bottom end was perfect and did not require any rebuild. That was about 40K-miles ago @ 180K and has now over 220K on the clock. The engine still now only consumes less than 1/2-qt in over 3k-miles with Mobile-I oil.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue
Very impressive. Your unit is very robust and thats good oil consumption, probably just your rings but its negligable to be honest. I like your plug wires. Have you considered making more of your engine red? Like painting the valve covers or the supercharger?

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue
Then you need to downgrade to blue spark plug wires and black coils!! Im joking haha but I understand. I always liked the grey finish on the 3800. My series 1 has it and so do my series II cars.

I do like how clean your reservoirs are. My washer fluid reservoir looks pretty nasty and my coolant AND my coolant reservoir are nasty...

Also.,.. is your coolant european blue? I dont know if my monitor or the photo makes it look blue but I personally want to put the pink stuff in once I get to that point.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
I do like how clean your reservoirs are. My washer fluid reservoir looks pretty nasty and my coolant AND my coolant reservoir are nasty...

Also.,.. is your coolant european blue? I dont know if my monitor or the photo makes it look blue but I personally want to put the pink stuff in once I get to that point.
I replaced both the washer fluid & coolant reservoirs several years ago from RockAuto and use only Prestone green coolant in the cooling system. Green & blue look a lot alike on different monitors. :giggle:

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue
So I just replaced the PCV valve on my car weeks ago and just got that oil change. Wow the car doesn't burn oil anymore. The PCV valve doesnt have any shake to it, which means it was probably stuck open just sucking oil in. I lied when I said I replaced it before, I replaced it on my 98 but thought I did it on my 99. Now both have it. And nice high quality oil in it, my car really liked that. What kind of oil pressure should I be seeing? I havn't had the car fully warmed up yet, but I just replaced the oil pressure sensor and I was getting 70-80psi cold start up at 30 degrees F ambient temperature.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
Aftermarket oil pressure sensors, will not read the same pressure as the original! I have tried several brands, and they all read higher than the original. Some even failed & leaking oil in less than 3-months.

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park Avenue
I've had no issues with aftermarket sensors on other gm motors or even my other park Avenue. Next oil change I'll hookup an oil gauge

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
Next oil change I'll hookup an oil gauge
Don't forget to give us an update of the comparison between the manual guage & the pressure sensor.

01parkavedude

Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue
How much oil do your NA and FI 3800 burn?

So, I recently got my 99 park avenue ultra, and it appears to be burning some oil. It appears to be a quart 1000 miles. However, I just replaced the pcv valve and its either the original or pretty darn old, because it didnt have hardly any shake to it. And Im fairly convinced it was held open and my intake was just sucking oil in slowly over 1000 miles, so my oil consumption may be lower or none.
My 98, bless her soul, doesn't burn any oil at 170k miles, and if it werent for the junked suspension I would still be driving her.

With a motor with 204000 miles on it, it seems to be doing pretty well even if it burned that much. Soon, I will be doing a fresh oil change with high quality synthetic and that could help, too. When I do that I will get my oil pressure sensor replaced. What kind of psi readings should I expect on a 3800 supercharged?
My 01 Park Ave drinks about a quart every 2000-3000 miles. I just had my oil pressure sensor changed and it usually reads 65-70psi at idle. It has 166,500 miles on it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.