• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How often do you replace your car battery?

zitsky

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick LaCrosse
I'm talking about the primary battery. Car is 2015. I replaced my battery in early 2017 by AAA when the car wouldn't start. I would prefer to have the dealer replace it next time. Thinking to proactively replace the battery sometime in the next 2-3 months.

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
I try to change mine proactively every three years just for the peace of mind. But I understand batteries can easily last double that or longer under proper conditions (not too hot, alternator providing proper charge etc).

zitsky

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick LaCrosse
I try to change mine proactively every three years just for the peace of mind. But I understand batteries can easily last double that or longer under proper conditions (not too hot, alternator providing proper charge etc).
I use my heated seats A LOT and that seems to drain the battery.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I would imagine the stop start tech wears them down.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The only guideline is the length of the battery is warranty or rated is for, 12, 24, 36, etc months so there is no one answer. If it's a 24 month battery and you are in month 23, the vehicle is parked outside and you live in Fargo North Dakota, it's time before true winter hits. If it's a 36 month, it's on month 30 and you live in Atlanta Georgia you have awhile. Toss in battery manufacturer quality of product, some good and some bad, and it gets a little more blurred.

zitsky

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick LaCrosse
Has anyone had their battery tested at the dealer? Was it helpful in knowing when to replace?

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Good topic. Now my other car's battery has been in the car since '12 1/2 and still good to go. Then again car has only 3K miles on OD but that can mean nothing.

Of coarse don't confuse bound heat soaked starter for a bad battery. Used to be able to drain out electrolyte, put in fresh and battery was rejuvenated for some time. Guess they get sludged and it impeded electron flow. Also it was a fact, setting a battery on cement floor would kill it. Others say no way but since I tried it once and it did, I disagree. These days? Big improvements with maintenance free and poly casings. But nothing lasts forever......⏳

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
Every five years or earlier if it shows any symptoms of starting to die.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Understanding you do not want to have a dead battery again, never fun and always inconvenient, first check what AAA installed which should be on the invoice. If not you can visually check it and it should clearly state manufacturer, model and # of months. This will let you know what you are working with, besides a Buick dealership most national chains like Firestone, Goodyear, NTB, etc will be able to check the battery and if you need to feel more at ease the charging system.

Now before the horror stories start, each one of these places, Buick dealership or national chains, are only as good as the people who work there, some people have had good experiences while others have had nothing but problems. Check around and if you know other people who had service done at these locations ask for their experience.

As with any other items batteries seem to be a little overwhelming as what really is a good purchase, be of good quality and trouble free service. You need to find the group size, what actually designed to fit your car, next decide on number of months with 36 being the minimum for your needs, cold cranking amps is the next item which should be the highest available for winter starts. Warranties will vary from full replacement to pro-rated and location where purchased so look for the best one, which is full no cost replacement as it sometimes reflects on battery life quality.

For manufacturer brands, check consumer reports, hopefully the forum can help on suggestions. I get a 36 month, highest CC amps and will replace them 3 months before the end of there dated months, not necessarily exact months but I can look for sales over a 3 month period as both cars live outside all winter in the Chicago suburbs. Can battery's last longer than the service months, yes, can they start having issues before there end of service months yes. It's depending on battery manufacturer's, environmental area, status of the charging system and vehicle driving conditions.

Make sure who ever does your battery that the cable connections are clean as that will be one area where battery life and performance can be lost.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I believe Autozone may check batteries at no charge. A battery that was installed in early 2017, unless it is a 24 month battery, should still have plenty of life in it. The use of heated seats should have no impact on battery life unless you have a problem with your charging system.

zitsky

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick LaCrosse
I believe Autozone may check batteries at no charge. A battery that was installed in early 2017, unless it is a 24 month battery, should still have plenty of life in it. The use of heated seats should have no impact on battery life unless you have a problem with your charging system.
I just don't understand why the OEM battery only lasted 2 years?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Why was the battery replaced? I guess if the tech from AAA said it needed to be or was it properly tested? Was a jump or charge attempted? Did you contact the dealer when this happened? If it was 36 month battery it should have been pro-rated or even replaced for free. If it was a 24 month it may have been at its end, not the day you got the car, but when the battery was installed, sorry but something is missing here in the information.

yesthatsteve

Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse eAssist
My '13 eAssist still has the original battery at nearly 59k miles. I'll probably replace it next spring. If it doesn't to start the car, there's a process to use the hybrid battery to jump-start it. My wife's '11 Accord is on its 3rd battery at 101k miles.

zitsky

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick LaCrosse
Why was the battery replaced? I guess if the tech from AAA said it needed to be or was it properly tested? Was a jump or charge attempted? Did you contact the dealer when this happened? If it was 36 month battery it should have been pro-rated or even replaced for free. If it was a 24 month it may have been at its end, not the day you got the car, but when the battery was installed, sorry but something is missing here in the information.
Battery was replaced because car wouldn't start. At the time I wasn't aware of the special jumpstart procedures. I have AAA membership so I called them.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The jump start process is the same as on almost any other car unless you have eAssist, but all of this is in the owner manual. Page 10-78 has information on both methods in case it happens again.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I just don't understand why the OEM battery only lasted 2 years?
If your car was a floor model, then the doors opening activating the lights and switches got a good workout and probably already died before bought it. The dealer simply re-charged it.
Unfortunately this is the reality of showroom floor models.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I had a Exide deep cycle battery in a couple buicks. Lasted me 12 years.
Problem with deep cycle batteries is that they need to get discharged once in a while. They're made for tasks that don't have a alternator or for tasks that would quickly drain a normal battery like big hydraulics or very power taxing audio/video set ups.
That Exide deep cycle battery (called purple haze) survived a massive car crash I was in and lasted 9 more years after the crash.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
2013 Lacrosse eAssist. Car is completely dead this morning. I suppose it is the battery but have no idea.

Opened the doors with the old key. After I tried to turn the engine over, no lights or beepers, and key got stuck. There is a button under the steering column, about an inch from the key that you can press lightly with a pen to remove the key.

I think there are some special procedures for the eAssist battery jumping & removal. This is the basic video to remove the battery cover, cables and battery for non-eAssist models.

Interestingly, I saw the Impala eAssist has a menu whereby the eAssist battery can be used to jump the car. That requires access to the big screen inside the car so might not be so useful for a completely dead car.

Pedal Commander