• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

How Rare?

extex

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Question to those watching the production builds. How many Tourx did Buick actually sell. Seems like a quite rare car. Never seen one one the street, a couple at the Buick dealer.

Abbott Martin

Buick Boomer
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence DC1, DC2, S&S, Sunroof in Rouge Brown over Ebony
There’s no clear answer. Maybe 6,000 over 3 years?

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Automotive News has the sales number data based on nameplate if you are a subscriber.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
GM sabotaged marketing Regal and TourX on purpose. It would've been a sales hit. Most people don't know my car is a Buick until they ask me. 99% of the people think it is a sedan until I tell them it is a hatchback. TourX is absolutely the best utility car for the money.

I've seen only around 10 other Regals and TourXs since I bought mine two years ago. Extremely rare.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
GM sabotaged marketing Regal and TourX on purpose. It would've been a sales hit. Most people don't know my car is a Buick until they ask me. 99% of the people think it is a sedan until I tell them it is a hatchback. TourX is absolutely the best utility car for the money.

I've seen only around 10 other Regals and TourXs since I bought mine two years ago. Extremely rare.
GM didn't sabotage anything, they misread the market. Stationwagons are a pretty much a dead market in the US and they're dying in Europe. Most of the people buying SUV's would be better off buying a stationwagon or a mini-van, they're safer, roomier, and get better fuel economy. The cool kids wouldn't be caught dead driving a mini-van or a stationwagon. Only geezers and weirdos buy stationwagons.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
GM didn't sabotage anything, they misread the market. Stationwagons are a pretty much a dead market in the US and they're dying in Europe. Most of the people buying SUV's would be better off buying a stationwagon or a mini-van, they're safer, roomier, and get better fuel economy. The cool kids wouldn't be caught dead driving a mini-van or a stationwagon. Only geezers and weirdos buy stationwagons.
Outback (arguably a wagon) aside putting a Buick badge on it didn’t help either. A Malibu wagon might have done better.

Attachments

• 92B0C30B-68FC-4FBD-911D-6EEAC3521D7D.jpeg
    92B0C30B-68FC-4FBD-911D-6EEAC3521D7D.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 30

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
I met a senior GM marketing guy when he was on vacation here in Florida. He told me when they sold off Opel they wanted to eliminate everything they had to do with Opel, but then they decided to "order" some Regals to fill the gap in Buick lineup. But they also decided not to invest anything into advertising. So yes, GM did sabotage Regal. Cool kids would not buy TourX, but many older white collar peeps would buy the Sportback as a comfy commuter

Idano

Buick Ownership
Outback (arguably a wagon) aside putting a Buick badge on it didn’t help either. A Malibu wagon might have done better.
You do realize that injecting the Outback and Forester into the discussion doesn't dispute but rather confirms the statement that only geezers and weirdos buy stationwagons.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
You do realize that injecting the Outback and Forester into the discussion doesn't dispute but rather confirms the statement that only geezers and weirdos buy stationwagons.
No, I did not realize that . I don’t own an Outback nor do I intend to. But that was Buick’s original target demographic for the TourX.. I didn’t mention a Forester, so I think you injected that.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
No, I did not realize that . I don’t own an Outback nor do I intend to. But that was Buick’s original target demographic for the TourX.. I didn’t mention a Forester, so I think you injected that.
45 looks like a younger than geezer demographic.

2020 Subaru Outback
According to Subaru, the average age of Outback buyers is 45, and the gender split is 52 percent male, 48 percent female. Seventy-eight percent are married, and the average household income is $75,000 to $99,000.

Abbott Martin

Buick Boomer
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence DC1, DC2, S&S, Sunroof in Rouge Brown over Ebony
I mean…doing zero marketing is basically sabotaging a product. Even if it would have increased sales only 50%.
Marketing wouldn't exist if it didn’t serve a purpose.
My guess as to the reason seems simple (and it was confirmed in the above reply). GM probably didn’t care to market a car when they just sold Opel to a competitor. They also misread the market; should have offered the RS-V sold in Australia (V6, paddle shifters).

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Neither geezer or weirdo here.
Just a millennial professional. ;)

Idano

Buick Ownership
45 looks like a younger than geezer demographic.

2020 Subaru Outback
According to Subaru, the average age of Outback buyers is 45, and the gender split is 52 percent male, 48 percent female. Seventy-eight percent are married, and the average household income is $75,000 to $99,000.
If we're going to be pedantic, geezer and/or weirdo. But you already knew that.

Idano

Buick Ownership
I mean…doing zero marketing is basically sabotaging a product. Even if it would have increased sales only 50%.
Marketing wouldn't exist if it didn’t serve a purpose.
My guess as to the reason seems simple (and it was confirmed in the above reply). GM probably didn’t care to market a car when they just sold Opel to a competitor. They also misread the market; should have offered the RS-V sold in Australia (V6, paddle shifters).
That's funny because I saw commercials and ads for the Regals. That doesn't sound like zero marketing to me .

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
That's funny because I saw commercials and ads for the Regals. That doesn't sound like zero marketing to me .
It was very rare bland generic advertising of the exterior usually merged with general Buick advertising. I don't remember seeing any videos highlighting a hatchback in the Regal which adds crazy utility vs any competition in the price range.

Idano

Buick Ownership
It was very rare bland generic advertising of the exterior usually merged with general Buick advertising. I don't remember seeing any videos highlighting a hatchback in the Regal which adds crazy utility vs any competition in the price range.
You probably missed the Sportback / TourX commercial because you were to focused on the hot surfer girls wearing the cheeky bikinis.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Sportback
This one? Just confirms what I mentioned. Regal was not highlighted, its hatch utility was not revealed.

TV commercials are only one side of the coin. I get most of my new car info from watching Youtube and reading car blogs. In fact I don't have cable TV since 2002. How many famous car bloggers did Buick invite to review new Regal or TourX? Redline Reviews was the only one. They should've gotten Doug DeMuro to review the GS.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Motorweek 2018, I know it's PBS but they did cover it.

There was a pod cast with the Buick marketing director on these, sorry can't find it, but the automotive guys doing the show knew more than he did. They even asked about the camel humps wheel well on that design decision and his response "Ummmm". Pretty sure Buick promoted him from the copy room earlier that week.

Rare, saw a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart before I saw a TourX after it's release of several months.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Motorweek 2018, I know it's PBS but they did cover it.

There was a pod cast with the Buick marketing director on these, sorry can't find it, but the automotive guys doing the show knew more than he did. They even asked about the camel humps wheel well on that design decision and his response "Ummmm". Pretty sure Buick promoted him from the copy room earlier that week.

Rare, saw a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart before I saw a TourX after it's release of several months.
At 00:58, "it started with their subcompact Enclave crossover".
That alone has made me question the quality of the review... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners