How sensitive is your throttle on the LaCrosse?

pennsy.357

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #1
I bought a 2016 Lacrosse Sport a few weeks ago. Nice car, very comfortable. But the throttle is so sensitive that it's hard to drive. No matter how hard I try I have a difficult time going easy on the throttle. Is your throttle super sensitive? I have a 2011 CTS V Wagon and I had a 2001 Regal GS heavily modified so I'm use to driving 500+HP cars. But the throttle was tame until you floored it. You can roll into the throttle gently to accelerate gently. But the 2016 Lacrosse has one mission and that's to jump with jack rabbit starts every time. A few passengers already told me how jerky the car is with acceleration and I try to go easy but it's so difficult with how sensitive the throttle is.

Also the torque steer is horrible. The Sport is supposed to have an E-LSD but it doesn't help. With the jack rabbit starts the wheel jerks to the left every time.

And the 3.6 feels like a turbo even though it's a N/A. The car accelerates gradually and around 4,000 rpm it's like a turbo kicks in and the 3.6 accelerates hard. It's like a kick in the ass at 4k rpm.

I was expecting a car that you could drive easily and the power only came on when you got on the throttle but this car the power comes on as soon as you touch the throttle at any speed. And with the torque steer it's a SOB to handle.

HP rating is 305 and Tq is 264 ftlb so it's not that impressive but it's a pain in the ass to drive with a very sensitive throttle.4

I bought the car used so the thought of the previous owner flashing the ECM with a tune has crossed my mind. The Sport is nothing but an appearance package and nothing special with the drive train? Other than have a FWD LSD?

Last edited:

PurpleHaze

3.9L Member :)
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2014 premium 2 model which is similar to your model and my throttle is a bit light, however I like it that way. I am not sure if it is lighter than yours with out driving your car to compare.

Our cars do not have a true limited slip differential "LSD". Electronic LSD is just the brakes stopping the slipping axle(or wheel) like a mechanical LSD clutch does in a true LSD unit. I have found that using gripper brake pads (Hawk street pads for example)improve electronic LSD performance in some other FWD turbo cars I owned due to stopping wheel speed quicker. The stock pads are good in our cars ,but the initial brake bite is weak until the pads warm up so it take a while for the pads to actual stop wheel spin when used as an LSD; hence the poor slip control performance with stock pads.

My 2014 also have a lot of torque steer when the road is wet or hard accelerating. Better gripping tires can help with the torque steer problem, however over 300hp in a FWD car is the true problem by design so it can only be minimized by adding traction.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Considerably less sensitive than the company's 2017 Chevrolet Impala V6 I took to Wilmington, NC, last week. That thing took off like Seabiscuit on steroids. God alone knows why the fleet manager bought the V6 instead of the 2.5 4 banger. I thought a cop in Emporia, VA, was about to make his kill when I sailed past on I-95, but then he nabbed some poor sap in the Camry behind me.

But I'm the wrong person to ask. Grew up in the UK driving 1.8 and 2.0 manual cars. All big-engine US automatics seem "sensitive" to me, but the LaCrosse less so than most (one of the (many, many) reasons I love mine).

pennsy.357

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #6
From what I'm reading it sounds like the throttle is light or sensitive. I guess I'll have to get use to how responsive the touch is on this car. Thanks for all the replies!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.