• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How to change the battery?

ravaran

Buick Ownership
I know sounds like a stupid question however my battery was assessed as having lost a cell and its around 5 years since its a 2014 so I bought a new one. However, Advance Auto (where I bought it) claimed that their company policy forbade them from changing the battery in this car due to the liability of doing something wrong and impacting the vehicle electronics.

I've seen videos of folks changing the battery on a chevy cruze which looks to have a similar fuse gateway box on top of the battery - is there something specific to be concerned about when changing out the battery? Should I connect a battery butler / trickle charger to the cable to keep power through to the other electronics when the swap is taking place?

I couldn't actually find anywhere with a battery replacement guide for the buick verano at all

Thanks

ravaran

Buick Ownership
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure whether one is actually needed anyway as I couldn't find anything that indicates clearly whether any settings of importance are lost when the battery is removed on the Verano, or if there is any kind of theftlock on the radio that needs to be dealt with.

I was thinking trickle charger because the memory savers seem to require the cigarette lighter to remain active when the car is off and I was thinking that it does not do so on the verano

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
I know sounds like a stupid question however my battery was assessed as having lost a cell and its around 5 years since its a 2014 so I bought a new one. However, Advance Auto (where I bought it) claimed that their company policy forbade them from changing the battery in this car due to the liability of doing something wrong and impacting the vehicle electronics.

I've seen videos of folks changing the battery on a chevy cruze which looks to have a similar fuse gateway box on top of the battery - is there something specific to be concerned about when changing out the battery? Should I connect a battery butler / trickle charger to the cable to keep power through to the other electronics when the swap is taking place?

I couldn't actually find anywhere with a battery replacement guide for the buick verano at all

Thanks
What does the owners manual say?

ravaran

Buick Ownership
I appreciate your response but to put it directly: Nothing, or else I wouldn't be here asking questions as I would have just followed what it says.

To be more specific, it basically provides a circular reference to itself wherever it references the battery:

"For more information about the vehicle battery, see Battery on page 10-24 "

Then section 10-24 in its entirety is:

"Battery

Refer to the replacement number shown on the original battery label when a new battery is needed. See Engine Compartment Overview onpage 10-6 for battery location "

that is the entire text. 10-6 and 10-24 just point at each other and say nothing. The replacement number on the original battery isn't visible because the fuse box covers it and it provides no information anywhere in the manual on how to actually remove/replace it properly.

ravaran

Buick Ownership
While I do appreciate your taking the time to respond, if you actually watch that video it has nothing to do with changing the battery on a Buick Verano. Yes, the first 2 or 3 pictures show how to pop the hood on a Verano, but none of the actual battery replacement videos are of the Verano as evidenced by the fact they never remove the fuse box and as mentioned in the negative comments for that page. They also just say "if you are using a battery tender" without explaining if it is necessary for this car - it is simply a generic battery changing video with 2 scenes of popping the hood of a verano spliced at the front to help their visibility in search results.

I am perfectly capable of searching google, reading the owners manual and even removing positive and negative cables in the right order to swap out a battery. What I need, however, and was hoping to find here in the Buick Verano forum, was a response from someone who either owns a Buick Verano or has at least changed the battery in one at some point who can advise as to whether there is a specific reason that Auto Parts stores won't change the battery in this specific car for you (and why there are 0 videos or instructions on the internet actually showing how to change one) such as a theftlock or settings issue that can only be handled at the dealer, or if there is no concern at all, no settings or driveability impacts, just disconnect the cables and go.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
While I do appreciate your taking the time to respond, if you actually watch that video it has nothing to do with changing the battery on a Buick Verano. Yes, the first 2 or 3 pictures show how to pop the hood on a Verano, but none of the actual battery replacement videos are of the Verano as evidenced by the fact they never remove the fuse box and as mentioned in the negative comments for that page. They also just say "if you are using a battery tender" without explaining if it is necessary for this car - it is simply a generic battery changing video with 2 scenes of popping the hood of a verano spliced at the front to help their visibility in search results.

I am perfectly capable of searching google, reading the owners manual and even removing positive and negative cables in the right order to swap out a battery. What I need, however, and was hoping to find here in the Buick Verano forum, was a response from someone who either owns a Buick Verano or has at least changed the battery in one at some point who can advise as to whether there is a specific reason that Auto Parts stores won't change the battery in this specific car for you (and why there are 0 videos or instructions on the internet actually showing how to change one) such as a theftlock or settings issue that can only be handled at the dealer, or if there is no concern at all, no settings or driveability impacts, just disconnect the cables and go.
Maybe I could travel up there and do it for you. It isn't rocket science.

ravaran

Buick Ownership
I appreciate your confidence. As I'm sure you have, I have also changed plenty of batteries in my lifetime without issue.

However:

- Neither Advance Auto nor Autozone are willing to change the battery in this specific car (Buick Verano) across the board,
- Adding this car to your search on Advance's website adds a note stating "REQUIRES PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL BATTERY IN THIS CAR" in all caps
- it also notes that even if you do try to change it it will take 45 minutes - much longer than common sense would suggest for a simple terminal cable swap
- there is not a single video on the internet of someone actually changing a battery in an actual Buick Verano
- there aren't any instructions in the manual or anywhere on the internet explaining how to change the battery in a Buick Verano
- there is only one source on the internet so far of someone saying they attempted to change the battery in their Buick Verano - and it stopped working properly afterwards ( I replaced my battery myself in my 2014 buick verano and now everything is failing on it. Is there some kind of reset switch i need to hit. AC is out power steering went out the headlight went out and taillights went out . - 2014 Buick Verano )

so perhaps maybe you could understand my desire to at the very least find someone who *has* done it before to either verify or debunk all the above sources or at least explain what the cause for hesitation for changing the battery on this car is from people who change batteries for a living before potentially attempting to do this myself.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I do not believe The CarCareKiosk Video is that of a Verano and if it is, then it is greatly lacking.
I changed the battery in my Verano, by myself, a few months ago.
Guess I should have made a video....

Anyway...
I did take a few pictures along the way to make sure I put it all back together the same way.
Keep the screws and fasteners organised as you remove them to make sure you know where they go.
Just use common sense and don't force anything that seems to be resisting....

I DID NOT use a battery tender or any memory saver. In fact the battery was out of the car for two or three days before I installed the new one. I don't recall losing any critical or PITA settings. Maybe some DIC info like the trip odo. and avg. fuel mileage. I'm not sure I even lost any infotainment settings? Maybe the clock? I don't even recall having to re-program the radio stations, but maybe I did. I will say however that my infotainment system is pretty much left to the default settings, and I don't have much programmed into it.

The car started and ran fine after putting in the battery. No issues at all, no error codes or warning lights.
It didn't even give any indication that the engine management systems was doing any relearning.

EDIT: Though not a "straight forward" battery change, it is not something beyond the average backyard mechanic. I'm estimating, but total time to remove the battery was probably 20 mins, and that was with first time learning curve. And maybe 10-15 to put the new one in. And I am your very average backyard mechanic.

Last edited:

ravaran

Buick Ownership
Thanks Kevin,

I ended up using a battery tender. I don't know if it was thanks to the battery tender or thanks to the limited downtime (< 20 mins of cables disconnected) but i did not appear to lose any settings or even have to do the windows up/down thing. Some videos of the Chevy Cruze online show folks taking all the connectors off that fuse box but that seemed unecessary - just disconnecting the support bracket and loosening the cables on the terminals seemed more than enough to get the job done

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Glad to hear that this was a job you could do yourself and didn't experience any problems.

I always like the sense of accomplishment you get when you are able to successfully do a job that is not something that you do everyday.

I always have to remind myself when doing automotive work to:
1. Research if necessary. Automotive Forums and YouTube has showed me what I was willing to attempt and probably more importantly what I was willing to NOT attempt.
2. It's not a race. Slow, steady, and methodical wins. Walk away and take a breath if you get frustrated.
3. Be organised before and during the job. Cell Phone Pics/Videos can be of great help during reassembly.
4. Recognize if your getting in over your head. It's okay to stop and bring in a professional or at least ask for help.

It's only taken me 50 years or so to learn AND FOLLOW these steps.... :)

verano1

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Very interesting discussion!
I have a 2014 Verano and as I have mentioned in past blogs I have been wondering about how to change the battery, especially with hearing about so many "no start" issues with this car, the fuse block sitting on top of the battery, and issues related to losing settings. I suspect I may have an original AC Delco 48 (30 month), but cannot read the date code since it is obscured by the brackets and fuse block. I am probably overdue and if the summer heat doesn't kill it, the next cold winter almost certainly will.
I am glad to hear that ravaran and Kevin both were successful with the battery replacements. I usually carry a battery jump starter with me on longer trips, but have not had to use it yet. I did buy a DSR Memory Saver Adapter Cable, OBDII to 12V Port which I was considering using with a Battery change. This connects the jump starter to the OBDII Port to allow removal of the battery without losing the settings. However if no critical settings are lost, I may not even do this extra step.
In researching battery replacements I have been considering either an AC Delco, DEKA (popular in our area of suburban Philadelphia) or Interstate.
On the Interstate website I did come across instructions for "complex battery installation" but the closest model they had to the Verano was the Buick Lacrosse with the Fuse block on top. It describes the step by step process without a memory saver or tender. It does mention having to reset radio and oil life, but doesn't mention anything about a code for anti-theft radio deterrent codes.

I would be interested in hearing: 1) What model of Battery tender ravanan used?
2) What brand of Battery did both of you choose for replacement and what were the specifications?

ravaran

Buick Ownership
I just got the In-store battery from Advance Auto - AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size H6, 730 CCA 48H6. Haven't had any issues

I used the Battery Butler tender and clipped to directly to the battery cables. Based on my research i thought the memory saver wouldn't work because i thought the cigarette lighter port turned off when the car was off but dont know if that would affect it.

I only bought the Advance Auto one because i had a coupon. Otherwise I would have bought Interstate for sure.

verano1

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
You are correct that the cigarette lighter port is off when the key is off, but the OBDII (On Board Diagnostic) port under the dash remains active.
The DSR Memory Saver by Schumacher connects to that OBDII port from a separate external jump start battery.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
What brand of Battery did both of you choose for replacement and what were the specifications?
I'm a big fan of Interstate Batteries.
My Verano got a:
MTP-48 H6 (their best lead acid battery)
72 month, 30 month full replacement
730 CCA's

Interstate MTP-48 H6

G-647475

I appreciate your confidence. As I'm sure you have, I have also changed plenty of batteries in my lifetime without issue.

However:

- Neither Advance Auto nor Autozone are willing to change the battery in this specific car (Buick Verano) across the board,
- Adding this car to your search on Advance's website adds a note stating "REQUIRES PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL BATTERY IN THIS CAR" in all caps
- it also notes that even if you do try to change it it will take 45 minutes - much longer than common sense would suggest for a simple terminal cable swap
- there is not a single video on the internet of someone actually changing a battery in an actual Buick Verano
- there aren't any instructions in the manual or anywhere on the internet explaining how to change the battery in a Buick Verano
- there is only one source on the internet so far of someone saying they attempted to change the battery in their Buick Verano - and it stopped working properly afterwards ( I replaced my battery myself in my 2014 buick verano and now everything is failing on it. Is there some kind of reset switch i need to hit. AC is out power steering went out the headlight went out and taillights went out . - 2014 Buick Verano )

so perhaps maybe you could understand my desire to at the very least find someone who *has* done it before to either verify or debunk all the above sources or at least explain what the cause for hesitation for changing the battery on this car is from people who change batteries for a living before potentially attempting to do this myself.
Sams club and walmart change batteries

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I had mine changed at a Batteries Plus location this past Monday. I had to take it to a second location because the manager at the first one panicked when he found the secondary "frame" or bracket beneath the fuse block. He claimed he couldn't finish the job and sent me to a local dealer, which was embroiled in a labor dispute. I stopped at another BattPlus, where the manager changed it within 15 minutes at no charge. The OEM AC Delco battery was in the car for almost 4.5 years.

G-988773

The auto parts store just did not want to change it....it really is nothing special.

Remellick

Douglasville, GA.
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
Wow..
Amazing how many condescending and useless responses you received from supposed fellow buick owners. Trouble with electronics is a real issue for some who change out the battery in the Verano. I speak frim personal experience as I changed our 2013's battery less than a month ago and I am now dealing with first, engine/coolant temp sensor issue then the remote start is not operating and finally (at least so far) a check engine light is now illuminated.
Finding so little online (except the useless car kiosk video) I was encouraged by finding your question here in that maybe there's an answer in relation to my recent battery swap. So thank you for coming forward and facing so many insulting/useless replies.
Now what shall I do next? I'm not sure yet.

Pedal Commander