How to Install A/C Compressor Refrigerant Cut-Out Switch

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Ave Ultra 1993
Thread starter #1
Installed a re-manufactured A/C compressor last June, but never finished the job as winter overtook my efforts. Turns out that I had failed to install the compressor-mounted refrigerant high pressure cut-out switch. After 12 hours removing the starter and finally getting the compressor out of the vehicle, I am left flummoxed by how to install this cut-out switch.

The problem is that the re-manufactured compressor, although it does indeed have a snap-ring at the location of the cut-out switch, once that snap-ring is removed there is a metal cap beneath covering the hole into which the cut-out switch should be inserted. One would think that the snap-ring was holding this metal cap in place. But I can't figure out how to remove this metal cap. I've tried prying at the edges with a screwdriver, box-cutter and scalpel to no avail. I've struck the cap a few blows with a chisel but stopped as that type of mad overreach will likely do more harm than good.

The re-manufactured compressor is identical to the old except that the old has the refrigerant switch mounted. The old compressor refrigerant cut-off switch's plastic housing had cracked else I would have attempted to salvage.

Any clue as to out to simply remove this cap?

Refrigerant Cut-out Switch.jpg

One other thing and the only notable difference between the old and reman compressor is that the reman has a thin metal cap covering the entire bottom(?) - well, perhaps better described as covering the clutch - that portion that juts out past the serpentine belt pulley - and is held in place by three diminutive screws. One of the screws has already fallen off. Was this metal cover there just to protect the clutch during transport. I am fearful this cap will vibrate loose and end up destroying the serpentine belt pulley system.

I can add picture for clarity if needed.

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Ave Ultra 1993
Thread starter #2
The local garage helped me out with this. After banging away at the cap for several minutes as I had done, he shifted to a prying tool. Turns out that the cap was actually a solid plug that had to be pried out.
Pleased that the garage mechanic was just as uninformed as I.

For the future befuddled here is a picture of the plug beside the inserted cut-off switch.
A_C Compressor Cut-off Switch Plug.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.