• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How to replace engine air filter on 2010 3.6 Lacrosse?

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I thought I had asked this many moons ago but can't find a thread that I might have started (the search function is a bit restricted).

I tried to change today by opening all of the torx screws, unhooked the clip and even loosened the hose clamp that comes to the air filter but no luck. The weird thing is that the last time I changed it myself but can't remember how I did it now...lol.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
My Camaro has the LFX engine, is your air filter box similar?

If so you shouldn't have to unscrew anything. It should only be the quick release clips and the whole top comes off, giving you access to the filter.

Radiator

Oviedo, FL
Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS
Had mine out the other day. Unscrewed all the torx bits and loosened the hose clamp enough to back the hose clamp off the flange. Its still a bit tough to remove because you have to wiggle the top of the air box out of the hose and also up off the box. Good luck!

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
My Camaro has the LFX engine, is your air filter box similar?

If so you shouldn't have to unscrew anything. It should only be the quick release clips and the whole top comes off, giving you access to the filter.
Your Camaro has the same design as my Corvette which is different.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Had mine out the other day. Unscrewed all the torx bits and loosened the hose clamp enough to back the hose clamp off the flange. Its still a bit tough to remove because you have to wiggle the top of the air box out of the hose and also up off the box. Good luck!
Sounds like you were able to loosen the hose clamp off the flange which I was unable to do. The funny thing is that I replaced it myself last time but this time I am stuck...thanks for your reply!

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The short section of plastic (black) pipe that connects the air filter housing is very rigid and does not flex very much. Detach the end that
is connected to the 'throttle body' first. You have to use significant force to get it to slip over the mouth of the throttle body inlet. I found that it
is easier to do if you put a little WD-40 around the circumference of the black pipe.
Special Note: 'Buick LaCrosse Engine Air Filter Replacement Guide.txt' (This is an MS Word doc) download to your device, change the
file extension from '.txt' to '.doc' in order to read it. This forum does not allow '.doc' files to be directly uploaded.

Attachments

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
The short section of plastic (black) pipe that connects the air filter housing is very rigid and does not flex very much. Detach the end that
is connected to the 'throttle body' first. You have to use significant force to get it to slip over the mouth of the throttle body inlet. I found that it
is easier to do if you put a little WD-40 around the circumference of the black pipe.
Special Note: 'Buick LaCrosse Engine Air Filter Replacement Guide.txt' (This is an MS Word doc) download to your device, change the
file extension from '.txt' to '.doc' in order to read it. This forum does not allow '.doc' files to be directly uploaded.
thanks for all of the helpful information - I will take another stab at this!!!

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Correction in my instructions: Detach the end of the rigid pipe that is connected to the air filter housing first.
Thanks - coincidentally I just came in after trying the procedure - the rigid pipe I am trying to pull back is so rigid that I cannot get it to budge whatsoever. From what I remember now, last time I was able to flex it and make the change. I have made multiple attempts and am afraid to push things around any further, I will probably have to "seek professional help"...lol. I appreciate your assistance!

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The rigid pipe will flex, but you have to lubricate the circumference then pry around it with a medium blade screw driver. You force
the lip of the rigid pipe off a little at a time using the edge of the screw driver.

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This assumes you have removed or loosened the hose clamps on each end of the rigid pipe. You put the WD-40 on each end of the pipe
and work the lubricant in by shifting the pipe CW and CCW until it becomes easier to flex.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Okay, sounds like I need to be a lot more aggressive than I was, I will take another stab at this, thanks for all your replies!

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
Mad*Max, did this work out? I'm having the same problem with my '16.

Also, the owner's manual mentions the need to remove a "secondary air hose" from the front of the air box. There's a nozzle on the box, but no hose. Is that something I need to know about? The car runs fine and gets good mileage.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Mad*Max, did this work out? I'm having the same problem with my '16.

Also, the owner's manual mentions the need to remove a "secondary air hose" from the front of the air box. There's a nozzle on the box, but no hose. Is that something I need to know about? The car runs fine and gets good mileage.
I wimped out and had my independent mechanic change it out for me when he changed the spark plugs for me. He had to open everything up to reach the plugs so he did not even charge extra for the air filter. Sorry I can't help more...

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
Update, all,

I'm still having troubles with this! As far as I can see, and according to the user manual, I need to unhook the electrical connector that goes to the big corrugated hose. This makes sense, as it should make it easier for me to manipulate the hose off the airbox. But this connector seems designed to stymie the owner. Usually connector clips on GM cars have a tab or a pair of them that you squeeze, and the connector comes loose. This one does not. There is a small red bracket on the top which clicks back and forth. But no matter which position I put it in, the connector will not come loose. It emerges part way, enough for me to see wires inside the housing; but no amount of wiggling frees it.

How did you do it? Or were you able to get the big hose off the airbox without unclipping it?

Turbo Buick Badge