• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How to Replace Exterior Trunk Release Switch

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40
Hey guys, I spoke to Sal, and had him create a new sub forum for "How to" projects. I hope this sub forum helps out like it has on my Cobalt SS forums. It should save you guys trips to the dealers & save you money. Any who, this How to is for replacing the exterior trunk release switch. About a month ago, my switch started to act up, and then finally quit working. I did some research on the subject, and found it is a common issue among the Regal. Supposedly, water from rain or car washing tends to corrode the connector over time. Odd, because it is a sealed unit. Anyways, it's a fairly easy repair. Attached are photos, and some snippets for diagnosing the issue.

17799029_10113478162386424_3349974424985464942_n1.jpg

17884406_10113478162371454_3141842248756604093_n2.jpg

17757591_10113478162411374_1663234736156424671_n3.jpg

Step 1. Pop trunk with your key fob.

Step 2. Remove plastic retaining push pins, and plastic trunk latch cover.

Step 3. Remove the fabric liner under the trunk lid.

Step 4. Disconnect wire harness to trunk switch.

Step 5. Remove the four (4) 10mm hex-nuts. These hold the chrome/silver trim with Buick logo to the trunk. Note, two (2) of them have rubber grommets over them that need to be removed first.

Step 6. Carefully remove the chrome/silver trunk trim with the Buick logo.

Step 7. Pop out old trunk release switch.

Step 8. Press in new trunk release switch.

Step 9. The rest is the reverse of removal.

Last edited:

wi_pedaler

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Regal
Great directions; thank you!
Fairly easy replacement. Found OEM/AC Delco switch online vs $40 at the dealer.
The replacement took less than 30 minutes and I was taking my time.

Step 2. Remove plastic retaining push pins, and plastic trunk latch cover.
I've seen modified tools to help with this removal, primarily a mini wonder bar with the nail notches enlarged with a right-angle grinder enough to accommodate the shaft of the push pins.

I was able to peel back the liner enough to loosen the pins a little, then I used a bent section of wire coat hanger to get a grip under the head of the push pins. I used an unmodified mini wonder bar to gently pry them out.
IMG_7942.jpg

GSTurbo

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40
Great directions; thank you!
Fairly easy replacement. Found OEM/AC Delco switch online vs $40 at the dealer.
The replacement took less than 30 minutes and I was taking my time.

I've seen modified tools to help with this removal, primarily a mini wonder bar with the nail notches enlarged with a right-angle grinder enough to accommodate the shaft of the push pins.

I was able to peel back the liner enough to loosen the pins a little, then I used a bent section of wire coat hanger to get a grip under the head of the push pins. I used an unmodified mini wonder bar to gently pry them out.
View attachment 10783
I'm glad it was helpful to you.

Thanks for posting the info on how you removed the retaining pins. I just used plastic interior trim removal tools, but your method is a great option as well.

Monti182

North Plainfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS, WDT, Sunroof, Nav
Just did this myself over the weekend, took a bunch of pictures for a how to, but saw that this thread was here and didn't want to be redundant. Easy repair and very quick to do!

Used this tool for the liner clip removal, got it as part of an 11pc. set on amazon for around $13. Made the whole process a breeze.
0810191540a_HDR.jpg