• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

HUD stopped working...

Profasr

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
It's a 2020 GS - the HUD worked fine on Saturday - didn't drive at all on Sunday - Monday, the HUD went on vacation. Anyone have this problem of the HUD cutting out? I have a dealer appt in just over 2 weeks and can have them look at it, but would love to know if anyone else has experienced their HUD failing and what the remedy was. Thanks all!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Assuming you checked for a blown fuse, that is not a common issue reported here to my knowledge.

Profasr

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
I'm pulling up a manual on-line to ID the fuse and location - bought the car used without a manual...

Profasr

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
Checked the manual and all fuse locations (under hood and left of the steering wheel) and nothing is labeled HUD. Back to square one...

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Not to just state the obvious, but the display didn't react to increasing the brightness or changing the display? Maybe fiddling with the HUD settings in the cluster might wake it.

+1 @MelsRegal, I haven't heard of anyone having issues on here either. I'm not very active on the Facebook group so couldn't say if it's been discussed there or not.

Profasr

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
Yeah, I wiggled and toggled and restarted the car and swore at it and it doesn't seem to want to do much of anything for me.

Amct15

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
Yeah, I wiggled and toggled and restarted the car and swore at it and it doesn't seem to want to do much of anything for me.
I know you said you tried all settings but the projected display can go well below the dash horizon and disappear far above the upper mask. Hold that left button up for a good 5 seconds and if nothing, try down for another 5 and see if it comes into view.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Never had a car with HUD. Is it the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Never had a car with HUD. Is it the greatest thing since sliced bread?
I thought it was going to be more of a gimmick, but I have actually come to really like it. And I can pretend it's a modern rendition of the hood tachometer from a '70 GSX. With the multiple displays, it makes it easy to customize where your info is shown between the infotainment, cluster, and HUD. The flexibility is nice.

Are you missing out by not having one? Nah, not really.
Will I option future vehicles with one if available? For sure.

Last edited:

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
I thought it was going to be more of a gimmick, but I have actually come to really like it. And I can pretend it's a modern rendition of the hood tachometer from a '70 GSX. With the multiple displays, it makes it easy to customize where your info is shown between the infotainment, cluster, and HUD. The flexibility is nice.

Are you missing out by not having one? Nah, mot really.
So not quite as good as sliced bread?

Profasr

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
It was one of the reasons why I went with the GS - I think it's a great safety feature. Unfortunately, as one member suggested, the system is not above or below the visable area, it's just dead.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
It was one of the reasons why I went with the GS - I think it's a great safety feature. Unfortunately, as one member suggested, the system is not above or below the visable area, it's just dead.
Just to confirm, did you also try going into the HUD settings in the gauge cluster?

Is there anything on the dash/HUD unit that is obstructing the HUD projection onto the windshield?

Last edited:

Profasr

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
Everything is clear on the dash top, internal settings are fine - the overly sensitive collision warning chime goes off, but even that display is dead. I verified all of the fuses are in, but again, I can't find a label for one that controls the HUD system. At this point, I'm hoping that the dealership can trouble shoot it on March 2nd when it goes in...

delorean92

Mooresville, IN
Buick Ownership
1959 Buick Lesabre, 1967 Buick GS400, 2018 Buick Regal GS

Are you missing out by not having one? Nah, not really.

I bought my wife a Hyundai Kona with a HUD and it is a nice feature. I do like the setup in the GS much better as it projects straight onto the windshield rather than a separate piece of glass.

I never made the connection to the GSX hood tach, but that is a pretty cool coincidence. Buick (Pontiac had it first I think) was ahead of their time!

Where I work we install a HUD and FLIR system on new 767s and it seems so primitive in function compared to what cars come with now.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I bought my wife a Hyundai Kona with a HUD and it is a nice feature. I do like the setup in the GS much better as it projects straight onto the windshield rather than a separate piece of glass.

I never made the connection to the GSX hood tach, but that is a pretty cool coincidence. Buick (Pontiac had it first I think) was ahead of their time!

Where I work we install a HUD and FLIR system on new 767s and it seems so primitive in function compared to what cars come with now.
Boeing aftermarket HUD?
Pontiac had hood tach in 1967, Buick in 1970

Bill378

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback GS
Boeing aftermarket HUD?
Pontiac had hood tach in 1967, Buick in 1970
L J,

I have an off topic question for you. How do you get the list of your vehicles to show up when you post? I've looking through my settings and don't see where this can be added.

Thanks in advance!!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
L J,

I have an off topic question for you. How do you get the list of your vehicles to show up when you post? I've looking through my settings and don't see where this can be added.

Thanks in advance!!
Put in your profile signature... I think