Humming sound coming from the rear

BayouBuick

Louisiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I have a 2012 GS and I'm experiencing a humming sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. No vibrations, just a hum that increases in pitch as I speed up. It's audible from around 35mph and up. I rotated the tires to see if the noise followed a tire and it didn't. I have new brakes and new tires so my first guess would be a wheel bearing. 65K miles, any suggestions?

BayouBuick

Louisiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
And I just looked at the power train warranty and it specifically says wheel bearings are not covered. :banghead: My mileage puts me over the bumper to bumper.

BayouBuick

Louisiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Well, any other suggestions? The shop says its not the wheel bearings. Could the tires all of sudden start making more noise? Bought the stock Goodyears in May.

FirehawkNS

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS
Well, any other suggestions? The shop says its not the wheel bearings. Could the tires all of sudden start making more noise? Bought the stock Goodyears in May.
I would think tires on this, although they can be different from vehicle to vehicle I have replaced several wheel hub bearings and they almost always have a marbles in a tin can sound with a slight wobble sound and change in sound when taking curves hard one way or another.

Does it go away or change when Braking? How about when in Neutral coasting down from speed (although that's more of a test I do for rwd, not sure if it matters with fwd)?

BayouBuick

Louisiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Does it go away or change when Braking? How about when in Neutral coasting down from speed (although that's more of a test I do for rwd, not sure if it matters with fwd)?

It does not sounds like marbles in a tin can. I guess it sounds like something is rubbing like maybe when kid put a playing card in bicycle spokes and go fast. The pitch goes up and down with increases and decreases with speed. It does not change or go away when braking, just gets a lower pitch since I'm applying the breaks and slowing down. In netrual I get the same result as when braking. Sound disappears when taking right hand turns. I think the majority of the sound is coming from the left rear but I have not been able to ride in the back to confirm.

FirehawkNS

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS
It does not sounds like marbles in a tin can. I guess it sounds like something is rubbing like maybe when kid put a playing card in bicycle spokes and go fast. The pitch goes up and down with increases and decreases with speed. It does not change or go away when braking, just gets a lower pitch since I'm applying the breaks and slowing down. In netrual I get the same result as when braking. Sound disappears when taking right hand turns. I think the majority of the sound is coming from the left rear but I have not been able to ride in the back to confirm.
hmm...I know one of my tests is seeing if things change with sharp cornering....thinking Bearings now like others have said. When you take right turns you unload some weight off of the Left side easing the pressure on what is causing the sound. Bearings is all I can think with this info.

BayouBuick

Louisiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
My wife just rode in the back and says the sound is coming from the right rear and disappears when taking right hand turns. I'll try a different mechanic tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rory Clark

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick La Crosse leather package
I have the same noise from rear of my 2012 Buick La Crosse!! changed the left rear wheel bearing hub assembly, noise still there. Now I,m going to try right rear bearing?? What is up with ALL these bearing problem??? You would think they would start to admit their is a major problem with them, and address the problrm

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
I don't know about the LaCrosse, but the Regal has a TSB where now they put in a shield of some sort to help protect the rear bearing from salt/sand/splash/etc.

So they sort of did something...

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
One bearing failed on my wife's Regal and one failed on my car too. Now the other side is humming on her car so she has an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow. I imagine the other side will fail on mine in the near future. Fortunately we both have a bumper to bumper extended warranty on our cars so the repair will be covered.

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
With so many reports of failed bearings on these Regals, and the fact that I used to track my car (which seemed like it would put a lot more stress on them), I ordered a spare 4 years ago... it's still sitting on my shelf.

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM
I have a few spares waiting;

*Hub & Bearing
*Trunk Release button
*LED Bumper Fangs
*Cabin Filter
*24" Wiper Blade
*Gas Cap
*Rear Caliper Slide Bolts
*eBay "GS" Floor mats

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
So both rear wheel bearings are bad on my wife's car, and one of them was replaced last summer. Obviously GM is using cheap imported parts to repair our vehicles.