• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

I need GS wheel help

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
I have a 2018 Regal GS. For those in the metro Detroit area, I drive from Oakland Country down to the Ren Cen every day. In the past 10 months I've gone through 7 wheels and 3 tires. All of the wheels were bent to the point where they'd shake at some speed. Some started to cause a vibration around 30 and others as high as 75...either way, all have been bent (other than one). Two tires blew out and left me on the side of the road and the third one had a large impact break that had to be replaced anyhow.

Factory 19" wheels are difficult to find and expensive. I haven't been able to find refurbished ones and haven't had luck with used ones on here. I bought a set of 19" replacement wheels that I liked. They were the KMC Spin. I bent 2 of those and went to buy another pair, only to find out they no longer make them in our size so I'm out $1,000 and back to square one.

Is anyone else having issues like this, or is it just me? I'm not a fan of Continental tires, but I can't necessarily blame the tire. In all three cases where I had to pull over, there were at least 7 other cars there with me. The last time was this past Sunday, which had 7 cars plus a cop car with his lights on behind one of them (he was putting the spare on someones car).

I'd happily buy wheels if a) I knew they'd last and b) if they didn't, I'd like to be able to purchase one and not another set.

Any suggestions? Tire Rack doesn't list the GS as having any wheels available. I'm sure they do, but they don't let you search wheels by spec. I believe we need 19x8.5 +35, 5x115. I could call or chat with them, but I assume they'd tell me there's no guarantee on fitment and I'd be out shipping if there were any issues.

I'm at the point where I started test driving trucks this week. I've looked at a few Silverado's and Sierra's with the 6.2L. I'd end up selling the GS myself because nobody knows what to value these things for as a trade in. That's a whole other story.

Any input welcome.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I'm also in Oakland County but only have to trek to Warren. So far, I've been able to avoid hitting any substantial pot holes.

In the situations where multiple cars fell victim to the same pothole, I would guess 18" wheels wouldn't make much of a difference. I'm rolling with 16" wheels on my Accord and have still had two pothole induced blowouts in the past three years.

We need help with the roads, not our wheels. I understand your pain though. That many replacement wheels would have me considering other options too... The wheel and tire protection was the only dealer add-on I signed up for, for this reason.

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
I’d never had an issue so I skipped the wheel and tire coverage as I always had.

You make a valid point. Most car tires are either going to have an issue or not. Maybe it’s an impact break be a blowout but if you hit it, you’re pretty much done for.

it’s my 3rd time saying it, but I’ll give it one last go. I’ll try to find a used OE wheel or two to replace the ones I have an issue with.

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
I just found them the other day. I’d tried the local places without luck. I was really hoping Detroit Wheel and Tire would have them, or Midwest. No dice. I’ll give them a shot. Thanks again.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Judging from the description I think it might cost less to replace the road :(

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
They started working on it a year ago and it’ll be multiple years before it’s done.

Description & Timeline | I-75 Modernization Project

My problem is the stretch I’m having issues with, which is right in Detroit or Hamtramck, I don’t think is slated for repair anytime soon. They send crews out weekly to patch these potholes as they come up.

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
I found a place that had two new reconditioned wheels. $614 shipped for the pair. I’ll give it one more go and if my luck doesn’t change I’ll move on from the car.

Edit: wheels were mismarked so they cancelled my order already. Haha.

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Consider getting a std suspension high mileage 10 year old Tundra or and old Subaru for the winter with steel wheels & park the GS. you have already paid 1/2 of the cost of a winter car in wheels and tires. Those pot hole must loosen the filling in you teeth!

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
I work for GM so I'd pass on the Toyota or Subaru, but I get your point.

There are a lot of potholes around, but when you hit one that bends a wheel or pops a tire you know it right away.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
The governor was trying to "fix the damn roads", but we are not seeing any results yet.
It is actually quite complicated. 😰
Tax dollars are limited and there are simply way too many heavy trucks ruining our roads. I remember we have the highest weight limit on the trucks.

Last edited:

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
I 'm in the area and feel your pain. Our roads are trash. Sorry about your bad luck. I've been going in the other direct...checking ebay and other sources for 19" GS wheels/tires to put on the wife's wagon. They are a rare set. You're scaring me...although I don't travel down 75 and I avoid now. Good luck.

blksol2000

Buick Ownership
Regal GS
I have a 2018 Regal GS. For those in the metro Detroit area, I drive from Oakland Country down to the Ren Cen every day. In the past 10 months I've gone through 7 wheels and 3 tires. All of the wheels were bent to the point where they'd shake at some speed. Some started to cause a vibration around 30 and others as high as 75...either way, all have been bent (other than one). Two tires blew out and left me on the side of the road and the third one had a large impact break that had to be replaced anyhow.

Factory 19" wheels are difficult to find and expensive. I haven't been able to find refurbished ones and haven't had luck with used ones on here. I bought a set of 19" replacement wheels that I liked. They were the KMC Spin. I bent 2 of those and went to buy another pair, only to find out they no longer make them in our size so I'm out $1,000 and back to square one.

Is anyone else having issues like this, or is it just me? I'm not a fan of Continental tires, but I can't necessarily blame the tire. In all three cases where I had to pull over, there were at least 7 other cars there with me. The last time was this past Sunday, which had 7 cars plus a cop car with his lights on behind one of them (he was putting the spare on someones car).

I'd happily buy wheels if a) I knew they'd last and b) if they didn't, I'd like to be able to purchase one and not another set.

Any suggestions? Tire Rack doesn't list the GS as having any wheels available. I'm sure they do, but they don't let you search wheels by spec. I believe we need 19x8.5 +35, 5x115. I could call or chat with them, but I assume they'd tell me there's no guarantee on fitment and I'd be out shipping if there were any issues.

I'm at the point where I started test driving trucks this week. I've looked at a few Silverado's and Sierra's with the 6.2L. I'd end up selling the GS myself because nobody knows what to value these things for as a trade in. That's a whole other story.

Any input welcome.
Upgrading to 20" wheels would be cheaper, but it won't help with the bent rim problems. Lol! Less sidewall=less cushion.
The tires for my 20" wheels are about $200 cheaper on a set of 4......compared to the 19", which is not a popular size.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Dude, go to your GM service department and get a road hazard warranty. the cost of the contract is dull compared to all the tires and wheels you have replaced. you can get anything from 1 year to 6 years of road hazard coverage. Plus they cover the tire, wheel, AND cosmetic damage

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Damn. I wish I would’ve known about that before hand. I’ll look into that. Thank you.
For sure. Also, if they try saying they don't have road hazard or they sell another brand road hazard, that's garbage. All GM dealers offer it. but sometimes they get paid more selling other brands and try pushing that instead of the GM road hazard. If all else fails, message me. I work for a Buick Service department and ill get you a road hazard. It can all be done over the phone and we can just mail all the paper work when we are done.

Turbo Buick Badge