I own a 2017 Lemon

t.ramsey

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
We have a 2017 with 5,000 miles and the "foghorn" brake issue. After buying it, we found out there has been a technical service bulletin out since 2013. It's been to the dealership 3 times and still isn't fixed. Even though the dealership said it shouldn't make the noise, Buick and GM say the noise is "normal". Wrong answer! GM refuses to fix it and offered us a $400 maintenance plan for the inconvenience. That's laughable. At this point, I want a buyback. We've filed a complaint with the better Business Bureau and have already started a Lemon Law case against GM.

punk76

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
when GM can't fix something...they say it is "normal"

if you have 3 instances/receipts where they can't fix it....contact a lemon law lawyer in your state....it should be no charge to you.....they'll ask for
your paperwork......maybe they will file a claim for you based on your info you give them......after 3 times they can't fix something....at that point you may have a case to proceed....

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Did the dealer perform the part replacement listed below?
This Preliminary Information communication provides information to the technician about vehicles that may have a rear brake noise that occurs first brake apply when backing up but can also occur in drive. Technician should install damper part number 13343688 and bolt part number 13368153 in place of the rear upper caliper mounting bolts. If the concern is still present after the repair do not replace any other parts engineering is working on this concern.

Sunnyvale Dave

Sunnyvale, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
In California, the lemon law refers to problems that take the car out of service or pose a safety hazard. If a problem is merely annoying, I am not sure it counts toward the lemon law.

kc8ufv

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
Most places, brake issues could be considered a hazard. Depending on the exact source of the noise, it may or may not be a hazard.

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
I would swap to akebono pads and see if it helps... Akebono does list their "PROACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad" for both front and rear. Part numbers are ACT1467 (front) and ACT1468 (rear).

For what it's worth - looks like brakes were changed in 2018 model and forward. Akebono only lists pad up to '17... And ac delco lists different pad between the two years as well (2017 vs 2018).

I have a 2018 and have not experienced any unexpected brake noise....

jeff

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Try a different dealer. Any GM dealer can work on warranty issues. Our 2016 has about 33k on it. It makes a little brake noise in reverse after it's been sitting for a while but goes away after driving it.

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
Having some noise after sitting with the brake pads cold in the morning is a common thing. Particularly in reverse.. Some noise is in the range of "normal"....

I just did a google search on "morning brake squeal in reverse" and I see a large number of "hits".... On the first page of my search, I see same issue with bmw, lexus, toyota, lexus, & vw... On the second page of the search, you can add volvo, nissan & mercedes to the list...

Last edited:

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Having some noise after sitting with the brake pads cold in the morning is a common thing. Particularly in reverse.. Some noise is in the range of "normal"....

I just did a google search on "morning brake squeal in reverse" and I see a large number of "hits".... On the first page of my search, I see same issue with bmw, lexus, toyota, lexus, & vw... On the second page of the search, you can add volvo, nissan & mercedes to the list...
If this many people(makes and models) are having brake noise issues then I say the auto industry in general has become COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT. Brake noise IS NOT and SHOULD NEVER BE normal.
Yes, I am yelling!! Because obviously people are being brainwashed into thinking this is acceptable. IT IS NOT!!

Having owned around 20 vehicles over the last 30 years.
From sports cars to pickup trucks, both foreign and domestic.
NONE ever had any consistent or un-diagnosable problematic brake noise.
On the rare occasion when a brake squeal or noise did occur, it was because the brakes needed replacing or the brakes were not working correctly. End of story!!

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Kevin I don't completely agree. I too have probably owned 20 vehicles or so in the past 30 odd years. I've also done most of my own car repairs during that time. Brakes can be really noisy on damp or humid mornings, especially in reverse. Over this past summer I left my truck parked for 3 weeks. After that the back brakes squealed on and off for weeks. Drove me crazy. There was nothing wrong with them. More than likely it was some rust that broke up in the drums. I didn't have time to pull them apart and look. My point it that some brake noise is normal from time to time, with any vehicle and any type of brake system. I do agree that chronic noise is usually indicative of a problem. But if my brakes make noise from time to time I don't sweat it.

The trouble with this is that the OP says he/she is hearing noise. We can't hear their noise so we're guessing. We also don't what conditions the OP experiences the noise. Reverse only? Forward? Is it wet or damp outside? Is this a constant noise under any condition? Lots of possibilities here. Some folks get really worked up about things others may not see an issue with. The OP left a rant and didn't come back so I suspect we will never know.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Doc... I can agree that some noise from rust on a drum or disc after sitting for awhile (more than a night) can occur. But I've also had a few cars that got stored over the winter months in unheated storage units, that still didn't make much or any brake noise when they got brought back to life.

My Brother's 2017 Encore is driven every day and sits in a fairly warm garage every night.
In the garage, the temperature rarely if ever drop below 50 and never below 40.
And the damn thing still screeches (not "squeals") every morning and quite often it screeches again at the end of the day when he leaves work. The car sits outside at his work.

Like the TSB, he also thinks there is also some sort of damping or caliper spacing issue when the brakes are cold, that goes away once they heat up. It's definitely not a noise caused by rust or moisture on the pads or disc.

I think what is really annoying me most is how some GM service departments are trying to pass off this daily brake noise as normal. Something they will never convince me of.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.