I should be able to fit 225/55/18

Gregdad

Buick Ownership
Encore
So we just bought a 17 encore for the wife. It’s got 215/55/18. I should be able to fit 225/55/18 right?found a great deal on winter tires but figured I’d ask first.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
It's 10mm wider but why would you put a wider tire on for winter?
Wider tire has less weight per square inch and you want to bite through the snow.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
Actually, tire contact area is determined by the weight on the tire divided by the tire pressure. A 3600 pound car with 900 pounds per tire at 30 psi would have a contact area of 30 square inches per tire. Changing the tire profile changes the shape of the contact area, but not the total size.

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
Yeah! Mathematically probably, but other factors must be accounted for. By experience I'd rather have a narrow winter tire and cut through snow than a wider tire and toboggan over it!

Me too. I am tempted to replace my 18" tires and wheels with the Trax 20570R16" wheels and tires. The 70 series profile would provide better pothole protection than my 55 series tires. Might ride better, too. I have the optional chrome plated wheels. Buick says to wash the salt off of them after each exposure. Not practical here in Northeast Ohio when it is below freezing for weeks at a time.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I have 16" steel rims but the problem is or was, nobody makes 205/70-R16 winter tires. You either have to get a 215/65-R16 or my favorite 195/75-R16 but only a Chinese manufacturer made that one, so I had to go with the 215, I regret that move every storm. Should have gone with the cheap chinese brand and replace them every other winter.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners