I think my 2013 LaCrosse has a coolant leak

Human

Buick Ownership
Present: 2013 Lacrosse hybrid. Past: 1984 Century Custom (1992-96); 1977 Skylark coupe (1983-88).
So I've noticed the past couple of days that when I park in my driveway, the cooling fans continued running after I shut the car off, even though it's not terribly hot outside. Then today, I was at a stop light, getting ready to turn in to Costco to get gas and I got a warning that the car was overheating so I turned it off until the light changed and kept it turned off in the gas line, except when I needed to pull forward. Once I got my gas, I pulled around to a parking space and checked the coolant reservoir to find it almost completely empty. It usually stays half full. I ran in to Costco, hoping they sold coolant but no such luck. I was pressed for time because I was supposed to take a friend to get outpatient surgery so I just stopped off at NAPA and grabbed a gallon of Peak 50/50, 'mixes with anything' coolant, dumped a little more than half the jug into the reservoir and went on to my friend's house. The surgery center was about 15 miles away from my friend's place and about 35 or 40 miles from my house and I didn't have any more problems. When I checked the coolant level later on, it wasn't appreciably lower. I'm going to check the driveway in the morning to see if any coolant has dripped. I've got a very busy week coming up so it may be the following week before I can get it to a shop to be more thoroughly diagnosed.

SlowBoating

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX
Sounds like you're doing it right. If you want to get under the car you can probably easily locate any leaking. Coolant will turn whitish when it dries.

Human

Buick Ownership
Present: 2013 Lacrosse hybrid. Past: 1984 Century Custom (1992-96); 1977 Skylark coupe (1983-88).
So I checked the car this morning after it had sat all night. There is no sign of coolant leaking onto the driveway and the level in the reservoir is still at the same spot as when I looked yesterday evening. One thing that is a bit odd is that while the coolant in the reservoir is yellow, the color of the stuff I poured in yesterday, there is a second coolant bottle down low, which I understand serves the induction motor that does triple duty on the hybrid setup, filling the functions of the starter, alternator and electric drive motor. The coolant in that bottle is still bright orange, suggesting perhaps the coolant isn't fully circulating. With the amount of driving I did yesterday, I would have thought the coolant would have been more thoroughly blended to create a more uniform color in the two bottles.

Human

Buick Ownership
There's definitely a coolant leak. I moved the car Sunday afternoon after it had sat for more than 24 hours and there was a spot of coolant on the driveway about two feet in diameter. It wasn't wet but it was sticky. The spot was close to the front of the car on the passenger side. It was rainy today so I was unable to check the coolant level.

Human

Buick Ownership
I'll be looking into that soon. Maybe Thursday, maybe sometime next week. Fortunately, the coolant level in the upper reservoir is holding steady--what was on the driveway was more a stain than a puddle--and what's in there still hasn't mixed with what's in the small lower bottle. This couldn't have come at a worse time for me as I'm a college professor and this is finals week!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Of course not having a properly operating vehicle that gets you from point A to point B needs to be put on the back burner as other things that the vehicle gets you to and from are more important. LOL put that in a question to students as a test, any that fail they need to go and sign up for the common sense class.

SlowBoating

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX
This couldn't have come at a worse time for me as I'm a college professor and this is finals week!
Easy solution is to do what my old law professors always did: throw the tests down the stairwell and grade based on distance!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!