Ignition Switch

Lounice35

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Aloha all...Workin on replacing ignition switch on my 95 Riviera...can't seem to remove eggshell type cover behind the steering wheel.I removed 3 torxbit screws on the bottom...seems as it could be unsnapped and removed but.then I discovered 2 more male torxbit screws holding it together that are very difficult to reach...there is a panel directly below it that would make it much easier if it was out of the way...My question is...does this panel..( not above brake pedal)..come out easily? What is involved? Is it connected to other parts of the dashboard?..thanks for any help you can give.

Lounice35

Buick Ownership
Riviera
No...I've never removed the dash...at this point..I don't want to remove anything else unless absolutely necessary..I have a special tool coming to reach those last two torxbits...if that fails...then I will consider removing more..thanks for the tip..

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
No...I've never removed the dash...at this point..I don't want to remove anything else unless absolutely necessary..I have a special tool coming to reach those last two torxbits...if that fails...then I will consider removing more..thanks for the tip..
It's not nearly as hard as you think. I can do it in about 20 minutes. In case you want to try it, here are the instructions,

Start with the filler panel directly below the dash board ledge. There are 6 or 7 retainers that hold it in. The push pins have a stem that must be pushed in to remove them. If you look at the retainers, the head has a small round pin that must be pushed in. You can use a thin phillips screwdriver or even a ball point pen. Push on the pin until it clicks in. Then grab the edges of the retainer with your nails and it will pull out. To install the retainer, push the pin from the opposite end until the pin is level with the retainer head, then push it one more time until the pin pops up above the retainer head. Push the retainer into the hole and push the pin level with the head and it is reinstalled. Below is what the retainer looks like. First picture is to install, second to remove.

RivDashRetainerInstall.jpgRivDashRetainerRemove.jpg

After removing all the retainers. Pull up on the dash ledge, and down on the filler panel. Remove the filler panel.

Next, open the driver's side door. Carefully pry the dash side panel (the one with the fuse block door). The panel has clips and tabs. Be gentle, the tabs can break. Try prying gently from the bottom first. Once you remove the side panel, there is a single 7mm bolt in a strap that holds the instrument panel, remove it.

Now close the door and open the passenger side door. Same type of side panel BUT, THERE IS ONE SMALL DIFFERENCE. Open the glove box. There is a single 7mm bolt that also holds the side panel in. You must open the glove box to see it. Other than that, the side panel pries out. There is another 7mm bolt and strap holding the side of the instrument panel in, remove it.

Next, there are six or seven 7mm bolts at the top rear of the instrument panel. The bolts go through tabs for the instrument panel AND the tabs for the upper dash ledge. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT. The tabs for the instrument panel GO BEHIND the tabs for the dash ledge. This is important when you reinstall the dash. If you reverse them, the filler panel holes will not line up.

You can now remove the dashboard. Tilt the steering wheel down all the way, and pull the dash away slowly. Disconnect the headlight switch and Trip odometer, and the dash should come loose.

Knee bolster panels can now be removed. 4 bolts, 2 on top, 2 on bottom.

Last edited:

Lounice35

Buick Ownership
Riviera
It's not nearly as hard as you think. I can do it in about 20 minutes. In case you want to try it, here are the instructions,

Start with the filler panel directly below the dash board ledge. There are 6 or 7 retainers that hold it in. The push pins have a stem that must be pushed in to remove them. If you look at the retainers, the head has a small round pin that must be pushed in. You can use a thin phillips screwdriver or even a ball point pen. Push on the pin until it clicks in. Then grab the edges of the retainer with your nails and it will pull out. To install the retainer, push the pin from the opposite end until the pin is level with the retainer head, then push it one more time until the pin pops up above the retainer head. Push the retainer into the hole and push the pin level with the head and it is reinstalled. Below is what the retainer looks like. First picture is to install, second to remove.

View attachment 16393View attachment 16394

After removing all the retainers. Pull up on the dash ledge, and down on the filler panel. Remove the filler panel.

Next, open the driver's side door. Carefully pry the dash side panel (the one with the fuse block door). The panel has clips and tabs. Be gentle, the tabs can break. Try prying gently from the bottom first. Once you remove the side panel, there is a single 7mm bolt in a strap that holds the instrument panel, remove it.

Now close the door and open the passenger side door. Same type of side panel BUT, THERE IS ONE SMALL DIFFERENCE. Open the glove box. There is a single 7mm bolt that also holds the side panel in. You must open the glove box to see it. Other than that, the side panel pries out. There is another 7mm bolt and strap holding the side of the instrument panel in, remove it.

Next, there are six or seven 7mm bolts at the top rear of the instrument panel. The bolts go through tabs for the instrument panel AND the tabs for the upper dash ledge. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT. The tabs for the instrument panel GO BEHIND the tabs for the dash ledge. This is important when you reinstall the dash. If you reverse them, the filler panel holes will not line up.

You can now remove the dashboard. Tilt the steering wheel down all the way, and pull the dash away slowly. Disconnect the headlight switch and Trip odometer, and the dash should come loose.

Knee bolster panels can now be removed. 4 bolts, 2 on top, 2 on bottom.
Thanks for the detailed info..finally got to it...job completed!!! Aloha.