IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings

Thread starter #1

printf

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
None, currently shopping/researching
I'm a current Honda owner who has been eyeing and researching the 2018 Buick Regal series for quite a while now but one of my requirements for buying a car is top safety ratings.

Neither IIHS nor NHTSA has crash tested the 2018 Buick Regal Sportback/TourX/GS. Is it normal for them to take a long time to test a newly redesigned Buick?

It's also disappointing that IIHS has not done the "small overlap front", headlights, and LATCH tests for the 2014-2017 Regal.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
afaik it is not a mandatory requirement for cars to go through IIHS or NHTSA tests, and if GM thinks it is not worth it due to the low sales, they might give up the test altogether. If it is your requirement then you can either wait for the test to take place or shop other cars that are proven to be safe.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Look into the 2018'+ Open Insignia. Since it's just about the same car as the new Regal, made on the same assembly line in Germany.

It's very likely that the new Regal will perform no different than the 2017-2018 LaCrosse.

Thread starter #5

printf

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Thank you all for your responses!

afaik it is not a mandatory requirement for cars to go through IIHS or NHTSA tests, and if GM thinks it is not worth it due to the low sales, they might give up the test altogether. If it is your requirement then you can either wait for the test to take place or shop other cars that are proven to be safe.
The IIHS FAQ states:

Q: Where do you get the vehicles you crash test and who pays for them?

A: We buy the vehicles we test from dealers just like an ordinary consumer. If the test isn't part of our regular schedule but was specially requested by the manufacturer, then the manufacturer reimburses us. Otherwise, it's paid for out of our crash testing budget.
So it looks like it's up to IIHS unless GM wants to expedite the process.

I'm not sure how NHTSA decides what and when to test.

Thread starter #6

printf

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
So IIHS finally published safety ratings for the Regal Sportback and TourX:

2018 Buick Regal
2018 Buick Regal

But it is not a comprehensive test!

I looked at the full report and found statements like:

Driver-side small overlap frontal ratings are assigned by the Institute based on a test conducted by General Motors as part of frontal crash test verification. The ratings apply to both the Sportback and TourX.
So it looks like the tests were done by GM but verified by IIHS, which explains why it is less complete than those of other vehicles.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.