• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Impressed with MPG

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Although I've not yet taken my
Tour-X on a long trip, I have taken some short trips, mostly on two lane roads, getting 34 MPG. (Sure, not going fast on two lane roads). (No heavy foot). Sure, it's going to be lower on Interstates.

Well I was impressed yesterday. Starting from Mt. Dora Florida to Baldwin Park (Orlando) VA Center for doctor appointment. ThirtyFour miles one way. Traffic not bad to Apopka, but then very heavy traffic (stop and go) to VA Center. Going home, Traffic still heavy through Orlando, but eased up once I got through Apopka.

Round trip of 68 miles.
Averaged 27 mpg. That impressed me.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
nice, what trim...preferred or essence?
Essence
Sights and Sounds
Driver Confidence Pkg-1
Driver Confidence Pkg-2

I live two miles from downtown.
Go to one of the Coffee Shops every morning.
This type of driving eats up the gas but still get between 18 and 22.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
In local driving + winter conditions my GS is close to 15L/100km.
Not bad considering the fuel cost of #87 but it is quite high for a 3.6 - My friend's 6.2L Camaro consumes about the same (although #91 mininum) in similar conditions.
Maybe due to the weight and AWD?

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
When I'm cruising on the highway between 70-80 mph the instant mpg usually shows about 30mpg.
I wouldn't trust that... My Mazda reads ≈2mpg or ≈6-8% more mpg than I'm really getting (based on miles traveled and gallons filled).

Anyway, our Subarus are all getting 20-22mpg day-to-day, and barely break 24-25mpg on the highway. I'm looking forward to a more efficient TourX!

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I wouldn't trust that... My Mazda reads ≈2mpg or ≈6-8% more mpg than I'm really getting (based on miles traveled and gallons filled).

Anyway, our Subarus are all getting 20-22mpg day-to-day, and barely break 24-25mpg on the highway. I'm looking forward to a more efficient TourX!
For reference, my hand calcs are within 1.2 MPG difference, with the computer being more optimistic than my hand.

However, with my hand calcs I can’t measure the exact point in the tank I’m filling to each time like I can in my TDI, so the variance could be more or less.

RedBeard2

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
My TourX is averaging 23mpg.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
I get high 20s (27-29) on highways averaging 75-80mph using regular (87 octane) gas. If I set the cruise control to 75mph, I can easily get over 30mpg. This is impressive since my old regal (2012) gets 25-27mpg driving the same style and can't get over 30mpg unless I average ~55mph.

I now have over 7000 miles in my car.

I ran 1 tank of 91 octane gas and I had 5-10% better fuel economy, but I don't have enough datapoint to confirm... but I can say that in my old Regal, I definitely got ~10% better fuel economy, but since premium cost way more than 10% more than regular, and I drove mostly highway, I didn't bother.

Another note is that using premium, my old regal and new TourX were both noticeably more responsive and fun.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I've used nothing but Premium, usually Shell, and usually at the same location. Lately, on the FIRST start up in the morning, the engine cranks three to five seconds before it starts. Also, it seems that the power is down. Now i'm thinking that "my" Shell Station may be cheating by putting Regular in their Premium tank. I'm now switching to Mobil to see if cold Start is quicker
and if power gets better.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
One way at 60 mph before we got into traffic 5 miles from home. I'll do some two way highway averages this summer when it is warmer and more broken in.

Attachments

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I agree that the mpg numbers in the DIC are an overly-optimistic estimate; at least they have been on all the cars with this feature I've owned.

I tracked mileage for 3 tanks of gas not long after I got my fwd Sportback: 30.25 mpg for just over 900 miles. There was one highway trip of about 300 miles and the rest was local driving.

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
2018 TourX Essence. This is from the week of the polar vortex in Michigan, short trips, remote starts.

Averaging 21 mpg ish from new. I did the 39.3 shown driving across town in a construction zone with a very light foot.

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
I've used nothing but Premium, usually Shell, and usually at the same location. Lately, on the FIRST start up in the morning, the engine cranks three to five seconds before it starts. Also, it seems that the power is down. Now i'm thinking that "my" Shell Station may be cheating by putting Regular in their Premium tank. I'm now switching to Mobil to see if cold Start is quicker
Please continue to post about this. This is day 3 of ownership and I had the same experience when starting this morning. Probably 2 to 3 seconds of cranking. I topped up with Mobil 93 yesterday. My garage was about 25 degrees.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
The only time I’ve had an extended cranking condition is when I had premium in the tank. Hasn’t happened with 87...

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
2018 TourX Essence. This is from the week of the polar vortex in Michigan, short trips, remote starts.

Averaging 21 mpg ish from new. I did the 39.3 shown driving across town in a construction zone with a very light foot.
View attachment 13888
Your fuel economy screen is miles better than mine. On the GS it only shows the instantaneous fuel consumption plus the trip A economy, and I cannot change the interval

Although I have a sort of graph in another screen, not sure if it is on the regular instrument screen.

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
Your fuel economy screen is miles better than mine. On the GS it only shows the instantaneous fuel consumption plus the trip A economy, and I cannot change the interval

Although I have a sort of graph in another screen, not sure if it is on the regular instrument screen.
That's odd. I think (not sure) that once I am in that screen I can use the right arrow on the left stalk of the steering wheel to go in and change the layout of that particular fuel consumption screen.

Not sure about the GS, I have a pre 2018.5 TourX

jhnjohnp

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm doing a little better than the 22mpg combined EPA rating for my GS so I can't complain.
Fuel Economy of 2018 Buick Regal

When I'm cruising on the highway between 70-80 mph the instant mpg usually shows about 30mpg.
Thanks, you've answered my question. Presently own a 2014 2.0 averaging about the same on premium, so looking at a 2018 Regal GS burning regular, may be quite acceptable. By the way, how do you like the car?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
That has to be the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. Pumps are inspected regularly to make sure they put out the correct amount of fuel the consumer is paying for. They also test the octane rating of the fuel and if there is any water present in the fuel. If the pump fails any of these inspections the pumps are locked by the inspector and won't be unlocked until the violation is resolved.

Pedal Commander