In the shop for a week, no fix in sight. Should have bought a Ford!

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
20 Regal GS, 12 Regal GS (past)
My patience is being tested by GM. Last Monday the 29th I dropped of my car for a repair and it still isn't close to being resolved.

I have a '12 GS 6MT and while cruising at highway speeds in 6th gear, if you step on the gas without downshifting, the car will shake for a few moments during acceleration until it reaches approx 3500k. The dealer techs have agreed there is something wrong but cannot figure out what is causing the vibration. Now, a GM engineer is supposed to come out to the dealer to inspect it so hopefully I'll hear something soon. At least they gave me an ugly GMC Terrain to drive in the meantime!

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else has had or does have a similar problem.

synolimit

Akron OH
Buick Ownership
2012 GS
You should never punch a car specially with a turbo under 4k rpm! It puts to much strain on everything, causes over boost issues, and is all around generally bad for your car.

PS, stock tune sucks ass so your making it even worse.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
Are you flooring it in 6th gear?

Depends on the situation but yeah sometimes I might. Mostly it's under moderate acceleration, a casual passing situation. The car also shakes after downshifting into 4th and 5th then accelerating, just a bit less.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
Which Ford were you considering? Just curious.

A 2013 Fusion, Mustang GT or a Focus ST. I always buy Fords, I bought the GS cause it was a good deal.

You should never punch a car specially with a turbo under 4k rpm! It puts to much strain on everything, causes over boost issues, and is all around generally bad for your car.

PS, stock tune sucks ass so your making it even worse.

It's not just if I floor it though. Like I said it happens under moderate acceleration. Even if I punch it, the car shouldn't begin to shake. I've been driving manuals for years and this is the first time ive ever experienced this.

zinner

Buick Ownership
Buick
I get such a kick out of the internet, you mention a problem, folks tell you there is no problem you are doing something wrong.

For the doubters, take a datalog sometime, pushing the pedal 1/2 will make it go WOT (~85%) on the stock tune in many instances. It's not so much a throttle pedal anymore than a desired tq pedal.

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
It sure sounds like a driver-mod to me. I don't care if it is a Ford or not, if you "punch it" in too high of a gear at too slow of a speed the car is going to shake. Especially in a 4cyl turbo... maybe you could get away with it in a big V8 that has power to spare... but a 4cyl turbo doesn't have the instant power necessary for that manuever.

Bottom line, if you don't know how to drive a 6MT then you should have bought the auto so it would downshift during acceleration for you.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
It sure sounds like a driver-mod to me. I don't care if it is a Ford or not, if you "punch it" in too high of a gear at too slow of a speed the car is going to shake. Especially in a 4cyl turbo... maybe you could get away with it in a big V8 that has power to spare... but a 4cyl turbo doesn't have the instant power necessary for that manuever.

Bottom line, if you don't know how to drive a 6MT then you should have bought the auto so it would downshift during acceleration for you.

No need to get so pissy. Bottom line, the dealer techs have driven the car and agree something is wrong with it. I know how to drive my car, thanks though.

GMRedline

Buick Ownership
'12 Regal
This thread would get flammed on cobaltss.net because even the teenagers know better then to this to their cars...

StiltsRU

Northern Virginia
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
If you "punch it" in too high of a gear at too slow of a speed the car is going to shake. Especially in a 4cyl turbo... maybe you could get away with it in a big V8 that has power to spare... but a 4cyl turbo doesn't have the instant power necessary for that manuever.

This would have been my hypothesis as well. Interested to see what the dealer says.

Last edited:

zinner

Buick Ownership
Buick
Considering top gear 40-60 acceleration is a valid performance test. You can't really fault a driver for performing that maneuver.

slow-90lx

Buick Ownership
Buick
Has anyone with an auto trans tried to duplicate the problem in manual mode? Just curious.

I always accelerate onto the expressway full throttle shifting at 2500 rpm.

Is this board full of teenagers? Half the shit people say doesnt make any sense. You can bog the engine and get some knock, but I've gone as low as 1500 ish?? Full throttle no issues. Same with my old Mazda 3 (5 speed manual). With all the electronic controls and wireless throttle...

Last edited:

NHRATA01

New York
Buick Ownership
'01 Trans Am, '12 GS
Has anyone with an auto trans tried to duplicate the problem in manual mode? Just curious.
Yes, I have. I've held it in 6th around 40ish and layed into the throttle, not floored but a decent punch. Bogs below 1200 rpms as expected, but doesn't shake and around 1400 just starts to pull.

What is the RPM range that OP is having shaking issues? Highway speeds at 2k and above, even going WOT in top gear should not cause shaking problems.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
Yes, I have. I've held it in 6th around 40ish and layed into the throttle, not floored but a decent punch. Bogs below 1200 rpms as expected, but doesn't shake and around 1400 just starts to pull.

What is the RPM range that OP is having shaking issues? Highway speeds at 2k and above, even going WOT in top gear should not cause shaking problems.

2-3k at 75mph

I can't believe that would be considered an acceptable range to bog/shake

laloggia

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-02
FWIW...my manual does not shake when giving it gas in 6th...smooth as butter tune on or off. Hope the dealer finds out what's wrong. Doesn't appear to be the driver.

GS6spd

Roanoke, Va
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS

??? Bog yes, shake no. I can see full throttle at 1200 rpms maybe causing some slight issues, but anything under 4000 rpms!!! That's ridiculous!! This guy has a legitimate problem. Wow?????

synolimit

Akron OH
Buick Ownership
2012 GS
It's not just if I floor it though. Like I said it happens under moderate acceleration. Even if I punch it, the car shouldn't begin to shake. I've been driving manuals for years and this is the first time ive ever experienced this.

Lol I like how you say "like I said" like I should have known even though my text was before yours so their is no way I would have known you were going to say that. In the text I quoted all you said was accelerate.

Anyways its pretty one sided here what the issues is. And to make it a little more clearn WOT should be performed in higher gears above 4000 rpm. Your comment on this shouldn't happen at 2000-3000 is incorrect and what the teenagers already know. Start doing it right and then report back if there is an issue.

PS if there is still an issue I'm not surprised! This tune sucks ASS!! Even on 93 the car still runs so lean at certain points it knocks and pulls power. It's pretty bad at times and the car shakes.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!