Inconsistent engine braking

encoregxjohn

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
New to car ownership so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
When I take my foot off the gas the car slows down smoothly until about 35 km/hr where the transmission seems to "catch" and the car slows much quicker as though I jabbed the brakes a bit. You can then feel it release and continue to slow smoothly like normal. A minor issue for sure with an otherwise perfect car but I'm just worried if this will stress the transmission over time. Any one else notice this?

encoregxjohn

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
Good to hear, thanks for the reply. The reason I was wondering was it seemed to be the same gear that had more holdback than the rest. As long as its not going to cause damage, all good.

4ndrew_GX

Buick Ownership
2021 Buick Encore GX
Just to chime in, being that the GX has a CVT, be aware of the road speed and engine rpms being turned while engine braking. 2nd gear ratio especially- try not to shift down into 2nd until 3rd gear ratio brings you down to about 1200 rpm, otherwise you may feel the chains in the CVT shutter. To prevent shuttering before it occurs, combine engine brake technique with light foot braking. Works for me.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

rrevis

Buick Ownership
2021 Encore GX
My 2021 GX Essence AWD has a 9-speed transmission. It shifts from gear to gear

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners