Incredible number of problems

freddil

Buick Ownership
Encore
Bought a 2014 Encore in May of 2017 from local Buick dealer with approx. 35k miles on it and it has been in the shop more than I have had it in my garage. Within a few months, there was a cracked piston, which required taking the entire engine apart. It took months to repair, as the dealer kept having to wait for parts from god-knows-where. Next, the catalytic converter went. Thankfully, car was still under warranty then. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I started hearing a rattle. Went to my mechanic, as car was no longer under warranty. Had it in and out of there FIVE times trying to figure out the problem, which was the sway bar needed replacing and the steering rack was cracked. $1,500 repair, thank you.
Now, just tonight, was heading up a hilly highway and the car starts to lose power and the check engine light starts flashing and the traction control light comes on. I'm freaking out, afraid it was going to die on a very busy highway, in the dark at rush hour. Luckily I got it to chug to the next exit, but whenever I stopped at a light, it would vibrate.
So now I have to bring it back to mechanic AGAIN. I am beyond upset and angry. I had a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer for 15 years before this and it had NO problems. Although I love the look of this car, it has been a freaking nightmare to own. And it is awful in the snow, even with AWD.
Just needed to vent!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Sorry about the problems, but it a little hard to find fault with a vehicle when mechanics can't trouble shoot properly, 5 times to find a problem, time to find another shop may be the option.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The fact that you made it FIVE when it's a shop error on not finding it the first FOUR times. The dealer should have replaced the catalytic converter when the piston were done as the loss of oil probably was not anywhere outside the motor and went directly into the catalytic converter, shame on the dealer for not being more diligent.

It's terrible in the snow even in AWD, what type of tires are on the vehicle now and when were they installed?

freddil

Buick Ownership
Encore
Of course. The dealer gave it to me. Leaving the snow issue aside for now, I have a new major problem...the short story is, the vehicle is operating at very reduced power, the check engine light is flashing and the traction control light is on (roads are bone dry). It is also heavily vibrating while stopped. Since my regular warranty is expired, brought it to my very honest mechanic and he said a valve is stuck open, which is a known Buick defect. He gave me this number for the issue...#16-NA-383. He was honest enough to encourage me to call Buick (corporate, not the dealer) and tell them they need to pay for this repair, after all I have been through with this poor excuse for a car. Just did so, and turns out the engine/power train is still under warranty, hopefully this issue is covered.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Glad to hear that it may be covered, while you're still under warranty on the drive train ask the dealer service manager for the other TSB on your vehicle. Considering what has happened it would be the least they could do and you can be aware of what other items that could show up, not saying that they will but at least be mindful of them.

freddil

Buick Ownership
Encore
Thanks but what is a TSB?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
What your mechanic gave you, Technical Service Bulletin, sorry acronym happy world now LOL.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.