• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Indy shop may maybe correct, Buicks are dependable?

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
FWIW I called London this morning and the consensus was Vauxhall's are garbage. One guy said in a thick accent that he had a Packard that was more reliable than a Vauxhall. I laughed. With that being said, these cars have the SAAB 2.0 and Aisin 8. I think they are good as long as they don't fall apart or have electrical issues.

Saab never offered VVT or direct injection as the GM Ecotec 2.0T has been flawless since 2006 unlike some VAG engines.

LOGO

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
All I know is the LED lights are a must have these days!

I have a stripped down Regal but I don't care about pano roof and adaptive cruise control....in fact I really don't want those items at all.

Remote start and Bose is nice and the only other thing I would've ticked the option box for would be heated seats.

landsharkmz3

No issues yet, but I'm putting 30k on it a year. I'll be out of warranty in 20k miles. Then what? It has a 2.0 turbo and ZF8. I don't trust the ZF8. At least I can afford to throw a new motor or transmission in one of these. I'm hard shopping these right now. I'm trying to figure out what package I want etc. I know I'm taking a luxury step back, but I'm hoping I can pay this off and move on in 5 years or so. The Opel would be about 4k less on the note and a better interest rate. Any advice on packages? I found a preferred that has the Driver Assistance 1 with LED and Sights & Sounds, and I found an Essence with both too. Price difference is like $2k. I know I'm losing my Audi luxury etc. I really love my A6, but I'm piling miles on.
Everyone will have a little different take on what packages are worth the money. Personally, I went with Essence, DC1, DC2, S&S, but no Pano...so I got everything but didn't want the roof glass.

I agree with above that LEDs are a pretty big deal. The DC2 gives the adaptive cruise and lane keep. It's definitely not hands off driving, and not particularly refined, but I do like it. The S&S is nice, but but doesn't make or break the car since CarPlay and Android Auto can bring the phone nav into the car. The Bose system is reasonably good, but not amazing (managed to forget about any base).

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
OK. So it being based no the SAAB 2.0 is incorrect?
There isn't really a "Saab" 2.0 ... the 9-3 just used a version of GM's Ecotec family. The Regals have a further evolution of that GM engine; I don't know how much it shares with the ones used in Saabs, but my guess is not much.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I think the engine and trans will be reliable being proven designs. The electrics, not so sure.
Agreed. And I think that's going to be the problem for pretty much every car going forward, especially as the government mandates more and more electronic safety features. It used to be that a $2000 transmission repair job would be what sends an 8 year old car to the junkyard; nowadays it'll be a $2000 computer or infotainment screen that makes an older car no longer worthy to fix.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
There isn't really a "Saab" 2.0 ... the 9-3 just used a version of GM's Ecotec family. The Regals have a further evolution of that GM engine; I don't know how much it shares with the ones used in Saabs, but my guess is not much.
GM Ecotec engine - Wikipedia

"Development began in 1994, by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Södertälje, Sweden.[2] Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom. The engine uses aluminum pistons and cast iron cylinder liners. Vibration is reduced with twin balance shafts."

The first engine in the Ecotec Gen I line-up was Ecotec 2.2 L61, introduced in 2000.

Seems to be mix of Opel, Saab and Lotus for good measure. A true global engine. I think it is called a Saab engine because it was most known for being in the Saab 9-3....

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
GM Ecotec engine - Wikipedia

"Development began in 1994, by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Södertälje, Sweden.[2] Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom. The engine uses aluminum pistons and cast iron cylinder liners. Vibration is reduced with twin balance shafts."

The first engine in the Ecotec Gen I line-up was Ecotec 2.2 L61, introduced in 2000.

Seems to be mix of Opel, Saab and Lotus for good measure. A true global engine. I think it is called a Saab engine because it was most known for being in the Saab 9-3....
The 2011.5 Saab was going to use a the 250 hp DI version of this engine (like is in the Buick) but Saab died before it happened. Before that Saab used a port injection version for years. I was working on a 2012.5 9-3 convertible to order when the production was halted never to be started again. The engine has Saab roots.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
At first I was a bit concerned about the engine and turbo but now that I'm settled in I feel ok as long as we keep fresh oil in them. But, after 1 year of ownership, I'm concerned about the longevity of the electronics. They are cludgy at best, at least in mine. Over the air updates and fixes? I was drinking GM Kool Aid.

I've also seen some chatter here about dead batteries and how difficult they are to remove and replace. Under warranty I'm not concerned, but eventually we'll all need to replace the battery and I like doing that kind of work in my garage, not pay someone. I'm not aware that anyone has figured out how to remove the battery just yet.

Pedal Commander