Info - Regal Tourx USB Size compatability, format and WMA.

splintermagnet

Buick Ownership
TourX
Hello all, been lurking here for a bit and finally have a little something to contribute(hopefully). Here is my experience with getting a USB flash drive to work.

I had done a few searches here to try and determine which sizes and formats folks had success with. What I found was.................not very much. So I called on my years as a computer nerd and here is what I found. Disclaimer#1, I did not test ALL music formats, just the one folks said would not work(WMA, it does). Dislcaimer #2, I have no idea what my what version of software my head unit has currently. Obviously, this is my experience with my 2018 TourX. So here is what I learned with a little trial and error.

I purchased a Samsung Fit 128gb flash drive so that, hopefully, I could take my most loved music with me on my long commute. So I threw a couple of gigs of music on it to see how it would work. After plugging in and firing up the stereo, and well, nothing. The Samsung came formatted in exFat, my Buick not only did not like this, it did not even see it. Initially, I thought it was just to large of a drive for the unit, and then it occurred to me to try another drive format. NTFS was the only other one so........... I repeated the steps above. This time, it saw the drive, and played the music just fine. Huh. I thought maybe it had just needed a fresh format so I repeated the steps again in exFat. My Buick refuses to acknowledge the exFat format at all, though the manual clearly states that exFat is compatible. My Buick did not get the memo. Back to NTFS it is then. This time I decided to load some WMA files to test whether it was compatible or not. Again, I loaded a couple gigs and fired it up. The drive was recognized and the music, including my WMA files loaded perfectly, and with the Bose, sounded fantastic. As well as moderate bit rate music can anyway.

So here is the TLDR,
  • 128 Gb Samsung Fit USB 3.1 works perfectly, and the whole drive is recognized.
  • My Buick needed the drive formatted to NTFS in order to even be seen.
  • WMA, OGG, MP3, played just fine
While not the most comprehensive, I tried to address a few of the things people had questioned. Hopefully this helps.​
Edit: Evidently I have the old version of the interface, time is top right and temp is top left.​

Last edited:

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
My car has the newer user interface (time & temp at the bottom right). Won't play WMA, will play MP3 and OGG. No problems with a 32GB PNY stick (under $10 at Best Buy or Staples), factory formatted as FAT32.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
following this up, I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried variations on this..

White needle 18.5 Essence trim..

I've been trying variations on this with an SD card in the Nav SD spot. I have a 16 gb card that had about 6 gigs of music on it and the first time I put the SD card in it read a few files but nothing else, upon a closer inspection it was reading MP3's but none of the WMA formatted songs. So I reformatted all of the songs to be MP3 and it kind of worked - it would show the Artist name but then only the first song in the folder. I've been trying different card formatting and have had less success as so far it now wont read anyhting on the card in NTFS or FAT32. A bit stumped by this so I'm now transferring all of the songs (in MP3) to a USB flash drive to see how it likes that. (will update with results later)

Next SD attempt will be reformatted in to FAT32 with only MP3's on a brand new SD card.

Anyone figured out the optimal SD card formatting and playback formats? I'll be fine with a USB stick if I have to but the SD card would be ideal.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Ok so here's the result: Still can't get an SD card to work ... BUT the USB Stick does work (MP3's / FAT32 format)

The quirk: If I browse by "artist" it will only show the first song BUT if I go down to "folders" in the menu I can see all of the songs by artist & all songs in each folder and play them accordingly.

I wonder if I flattened it to just the MP3's with no sub (artist / album) folders if the SD card would work.. given the USB stick is a go I'm not spending any more time on it.

Also- now that I've plugged in an SD card it continues to show in the Audio options as a SD card icon with "B" as the name and I can't find a way to remove the icon.

mojoel

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx
Do you know if it will read MP4's? I noticed that some of my iTunes music is in MP4 format. Also, how did you load the music onto the USB? Did you use iTunes, or another method ? Can you search by artist/album/song? If you can perform easy searches this would be just as good as an iphone or ipod.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Hello all, been lurking here for a bit and finally have a little something to contribute(hopefully). Here is my experience with getting a USB flash drive to work.

I had done a few searches here to try and determine which sizes and formats folks had success with. What I found was.................not very much. So I called on my years as a computer nerd and here is what I found. Disclaimer#1, I did not test ALL music formats, just the one folks said would not work(WMA, it does). Dislcaimer #2, I have no idea what my what version of software my head unit has currently. Obviously, this is my experience with my 2018 TourX. So here is what I learned with a little trial and error.

I purchased a Samsung Fit 128gb flash drive so that, hopefully, I could take my most loved music with me on my long commute. So I threw a couple of gigs of music on it to see how it would work. After plugging in and firing up the stereo, and well, nothing. The Samsung came formatted in exFat, my Buick not only did not like this, it did not even see it. Initially, I thought it was just to large of a drive for the unit, and then it occurred to me to try another drive format. NTFS was the only other one so........... I repeated the steps above. This time, it saw the drive, and played the music just fine. Huh. I thought maybe it had just needed a fresh format so I repeated the steps again in exFat. My Buick refuses to acknowledge the exFat format at all, though the manual clearly states that exFat is compatible. My Buick did not get the memo. Back to NTFS it is then. This time I decided to load some WMA files to test whether it was compatible or not. Again, I loaded a couple gigs and fired it up. The drive was recognized and the music, including my WMA files loaded perfectly, and with the Bose, sounded fantastic. As well as moderate bit rate music can anyway.

So here is the TLDR,
  • 128 Gb Samsung Fit USB 3.1 works perfectly, and the whole drive is recognized.
  • My Buick needed the drive formatted to NTFS in order to even be seen.
  • WMA, OGG, MP3, played just fine
While not the most comprehensive, I tried to address a few of the things people had questioned. Hopefully this helps.​
Edit: Evidently I have the old version of the interface, time is top right and temp is top left.​
So red needled cars good..white needled not so much?
But just trying to be my normal get people excited, or J man.

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX Essence +all
What about AAC/M4A?
Yes, for "18.5" and to Member:mojoel yes if it's in the tag info (beware iTunes wma NG!!!, but a good convertor will take tag info to mp3)...
Just an added note: for the original post "format"...
This seems to be a Linux flavor of OS, so eFAT forget, and NTFS will work, but FAT32 may be the best choice...
Another point, keep USB original FAT32 is best, or format using a stick tool and not the window's OS...
Above reason, the manual say's no USB hard drives, so type is important or just maybe it's for current draw from the battery...
So will be checking if USB is powered when off???

mojoel

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx
Thanks to the comments on this thread, I've replaced my old, dead iPod with a 16GB USB drive. After downloading an audio file converter, I ran a bunch of music from iTunes through the converter, changing the format to MP3, and dumped it onto a USB drive. With the USB drive plugged into the Tourx I have all the search capability that I had with the iPod.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.