• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Info - Regal Tourx USB Size compatability, format and WMA.

splintermagnet

Buick Ownership
TourX
Hello all, been lurking here for a bit and finally have a little something to contribute(hopefully). Here is my experience with getting a USB flash drive to work.

I had done a few searches here to try and determine which sizes and formats folks had success with. What I found was.................not very much. So I called on my years as a computer nerd and here is what I found. Disclaimer#1, I did not test ALL music formats, just the one folks said would not work(WMA, it does). Dislcaimer #2, I have no idea what my what version of software my head unit has currently. Obviously, this is my experience with my 2018 TourX. So here is what I learned with a little trial and error.

I purchased a Samsung Fit 128gb flash drive so that, hopefully, I could take my most loved music with me on my long commute. So I threw a couple of gigs of music on it to see how it would work. After plugging in and firing up the stereo, and well, nothing. The Samsung came formatted in exFat, my Buick not only did not like this, it did not even see it. Initially, I thought it was just to large of a drive for the unit, and then it occurred to me to try another drive format. NTFS was the only other one so........... I repeated the steps above. This time, it saw the drive, and played the music just fine. Huh. I thought maybe it had just needed a fresh format so I repeated the steps again in exFat. My Buick refuses to acknowledge the exFat format at all, though the manual clearly states that exFat is compatible. My Buick did not get the memo. Back to NTFS it is then. This time I decided to load some WMA files to test whether it was compatible or not. Again, I loaded a couple gigs and fired it up. The drive was recognized and the music, including my WMA files loaded perfectly, and with the Bose, sounded fantastic. As well as moderate bit rate music can anyway.

So here is the TLDR,
  • 128 Gb Samsung Fit USB 3.1 works perfectly, and the whole drive is recognized.
  • My Buick needed the drive formatted to NTFS in order to even be seen.
  • WMA, OGG, MP3, played just fine
While not the most comprehensive, I tried to address a few of the things people had questioned. Hopefully this helps.​
Edit: Evidently I have the old version of the interface, time is top right and temp is top left.​

Last edited:

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
My car has the newer user interface (time & temp at the bottom right). Won't play WMA, will play MP3 and OGG. No problems with a 32GB PNY stick (under $10 at Best Buy or Staples), factory formatted as FAT32.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
following this up, I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried variations on this..

White needle 18.5 Essence trim..

I've been trying variations on this with an SD card in the Nav SD spot. I have a 16 gb card that had about 6 gigs of music on it and the first time I put the SD card in it read a few files but nothing else, upon a closer inspection it was reading MP3's but none of the WMA formatted songs. So I reformatted all of the songs to be MP3 and it kind of worked - it would show the Artist name but then only the first song in the folder. I've been trying different card formatting and have had less success as so far it now wont read anyhting on the card in NTFS or FAT32. A bit stumped by this so I'm now transferring all of the songs (in MP3) to a USB flash drive to see how it likes that. (will update with results later)

Next SD attempt will be reformatted in to FAT32 with only MP3's on a brand new SD card.

Anyone figured out the optimal SD card formatting and playback formats? I'll be fine with a USB stick if I have to but the SD card would be ideal.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Ok so here's the result: Still can't get an SD card to work ... BUT the USB Stick does work (MP3's / FAT32 format)

The quirk: If I browse by "artist" it will only show the first song BUT if I go down to "folders" in the menu I can see all of the songs by artist & all songs in each folder and play them accordingly.

I wonder if I flattened it to just the MP3's with no sub (artist / album) folders if the SD card would work.. given the USB stick is a go I'm not spending any more time on it.

Also- now that I've plugged in an SD card it continues to show in the Audio options as a SD card icon with "B" as the name and I can't find a way to remove the icon.

mojoel

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx
Do you know if it will read MP4's? I noticed that some of my iTunes music is in MP4 format. Also, how did you load the music onto the USB? Did you use iTunes, or another method ? Can you search by artist/album/song? If you can perform easy searches this would be just as good as an iphone or ipod.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Hello all, been lurking here for a bit and finally have a little something to contribute(hopefully). Here is my experience with getting a USB flash drive to work.

I had done a few searches here to try and determine which sizes and formats folks had success with. What I found was.................not very much. So I called on my years as a computer nerd and here is what I found. Disclaimer#1, I did not test ALL music formats, just the one folks said would not work(WMA, it does). Dislcaimer #2, I have no idea what my what version of software my head unit has currently. Obviously, this is my experience with my 2018 TourX. So here is what I learned with a little trial and error.

I purchased a Samsung Fit 128gb flash drive so that, hopefully, I could take my most loved music with me on my long commute. So I threw a couple of gigs of music on it to see how it would work. After plugging in and firing up the stereo, and well, nothing. The Samsung came formatted in exFat, my Buick not only did not like this, it did not even see it. Initially, I thought it was just to large of a drive for the unit, and then it occurred to me to try another drive format. NTFS was the only other one so........... I repeated the steps above. This time, it saw the drive, and played the music just fine. Huh. I thought maybe it had just needed a fresh format so I repeated the steps again in exFat. My Buick refuses to acknowledge the exFat format at all, though the manual clearly states that exFat is compatible. My Buick did not get the memo. Back to NTFS it is then. This time I decided to load some WMA files to test whether it was compatible or not. Again, I loaded a couple gigs and fired it up. The drive was recognized and the music, including my WMA files loaded perfectly, and with the Bose, sounded fantastic. As well as moderate bit rate music can anyway.

So here is the TLDR,
  • 128 Gb Samsung Fit USB 3.1 works perfectly, and the whole drive is recognized.
  • My Buick needed the drive formatted to NTFS in order to even be seen.
  • WMA, OGG, MP3, played just fine
While not the most comprehensive, I tried to address a few of the things people had questioned. Hopefully this helps.​
Edit: Evidently I have the old version of the interface, time is top right and temp is top left.​
So red needled cars good..white needled not so much?
But just trying to be my normal get people excited, or J man.

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX Essence +all
What about AAC/M4A?
Yes, for "18.5" and to Member:mojoel yes if it's in the tag info (beware iTunes wma NG!!!, but a good convertor will take tag info to mp3)...
Just an added note: for the original post "format"...
This seems to be a Linux flavor of OS, so eFAT forget, and NTFS will work, but FAT32 may be the best choice...
Another point, keep USB original FAT32 is best, or format using a stick tool and not the window's OS...
Above reason, the manual say's no USB hard drives, so type is important or just maybe it's for current draw from the battery...
So will be checking if USB is powered when off???

mojoel

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx
Thanks to the comments on this thread, I've replaced my old, dead iPod with a 16GB USB drive. After downloading an audio file converter, I ran a bunch of music from iTunes through the converter, changing the format to MP3, and dumped it onto a USB drive. With the USB drive plugged into the Tourx I have all the search capability that I had with the iPod.

jjbosco

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX Essence +all
Thanks to the comments on this thread, I've replaced my old, dead iPod with a 16GB USB drive. After downloading an audio file converter, I ran a bunch of music from iTunes through the converter, changing the format to MP3, and dumped it onto a USB drive. With the USB drive plugged into the Tourx I have all the search capability that I had with the iPod.
Yes, for "18.5" and to Member:mojoel yes if it's in the tag info (beware iTunes wma NG!!!, but a good convertor will take tag info to mp3)...
Just an added note: for the original post "format"...
This seems to be a Linux flavor of OS, so eFAT forget, and NTFS will work, but FAT32 may be the best choice...
Another point, keep USB original FAT32 is best, or format using a stick tool and not the window's OS...
Above reason, the manual say's no USB hard drives, so type is important or just maybe it's for current draw from the battery...
So will be checking if USB is powered when off???
USB does power off...
Retract my best choice for format, from FAT32 to NTFS (FAT32 failed twice in two weeks, and now using 128gig SanDisk)...
Also, forgot to mention to make the label 6 characters or less, then you can see on the quick list left side (I know this works, but could be more)...
USB does not like the power off without proper eject (i.e.; running music and turn car off)...
The NTFS finally failed, the "device not recognized" when first turning on the car...
Here is what's odd; my top quick list of FM stations, all the HD stations where grayed out (could not select)...
So I selected a normal FM station, and then from the steering wheel, moved to a HD station...
A prompt came up and said do you want HD on, I answered yes, and not only did the HD stations work, but now the USB worked???

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Lots of good info. Got to make a USB with music for my wife. She will be disappointed if my Hi-res files (FLAC, DSF) will not work. I have a lot of older music in WAV and MP3 format prior to swapping to Apple Lossless (ALAC). For the last about 5 or so years everything has been FLAC or DSF. Pretty much the reason I'm looking to upgrade the audio in the TourX. Re-ripping everything is a PITA.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Lots of good info. Got to make a USB with music for my wife. She will be disappointed if my Hi-res files (FLAC, DSF) will not work. I have a lot of older music in WAV and MP3 format prior to swapping to Apple Lossless (ALAC). For the last about 5 or so years everything has been FLAC or DSF. Pretty much the reason I'm looking to upgrade the audio in the TourX. Re-ripping everything is a PITA.
The supported formats are listed in the owner's manual. I don't believe FLAC is supported. I was surprised though to read above that OGG is supported.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
One thing to note with Fat32 format is it won't address more than 32GB at a time, so if you have a 64GB card/thumb drive, you'll only be able to utilize 32GB of it. And with 'dumb' devices like car stereos, you can't create multiple partitions on the card/thumb drive and have it all appear as available in the car stereo, either. NTFS is the clear winner here, as it's supported by the intellilink system and supports larger than 32GB storage.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
FLAC does indeed work.
Interesting, since this is what the Infotainment system manual lists:
USB MP3 Player and USB Devices
. The USB MP3 players and USB devices connected must comply with the USB Mass Storage Class specification (USB MSC).
. Hard disk drives are not supported.
. The following restrictions apply for the data stored on a USB MP3 player or USB device:
‐ Applicable audio extensions are mp3, wma, aac, m4a, and aif.
‐ WMA and Apple lossless files are not supported.

‐ Supported file systems are FAT32 and NTFS.

I will create a USB music drive for the TourX and give it a workout.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
flac is listed in a newer version of the infotainment system, but not in the manual of my car. Of course, it doesn't work on mine (built April 2018). My guess is that it is yet another difference between the first batch of 2018 cars and the later ones.

Epsilon III

Buick Newbie
Northern, Illinois
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 2002 LeSabre Custom
My 2019 infotainment manual lists FLAC as supported and thats all I have on my stick so it definitely looks like a generational difference. I do wish mine had messaging though and I think the older ones still have messaging available from what I've read in other posts.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
My 2019 infotainment manual lists FLAC as supported and thats all I have on my stick so it definitely looks like a generational difference. I do wish mine had messaging though and I think the older ones still have messaging available from what I've read in other posts.
I'll trade you messaging for FLAC compatibility. How do we make that happen? :p

Fwiw, with road noise ruining much of the in-car listening experience, a high bitrate MP3 (high quality VBR or 320kbps) should suffice for anyone. But I see the usefulness if you have the storage (large thumb drive/card) and already keep FLAC files (like I do) for personal use on the computer.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The 18 Regal Infotainment manual they ordered for me, lists FLAC as supported. Not sure it will work on my red needled early model, since only tried MP3 so far. I am trying to copy CD's to thumb drive but can not get album song info as of yet, can anyone fill me in on how to get info. copied with the music?

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I think there are two threads floating around and I'm not sure when I post in either.

it may be an option on the ap you use to convert the CD.

I have used VLC media player & Windows Media player to rip the CD to WMA then used EZ CD audio converter (free online ap) to convert to mp3.

You may be able to rip to mp3 directly with EZ CD audio converter - but I'd already digitized to WMA and it's how I converted the albums to include all of the meta-info that allows the indexing to work great via the center console usb/usb flash drive.

Last edited: