Infotainment apps working for anyone?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Since I picked up the car I can't get the apps button to do anything other than log me in. Sometimes I get errors about the network connection, but most times it says the catalog can not be reached or something to that effect. The ironic thing is I keep getting emails from Onstar about how I haven't used any of my data and it mentions apps I can download to listen to audio books, stream music etc. So does anyone have any tips if they got theirs working? I have tried clearing user data and logging back in, tried guest account and still the same results. I have a 2018 red needle version in case that matters.

bilbobaggins

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I have a 2018 red needle TourX and all of the pre-installed stuff works with one exception:

The Buick Shop app - meaning I can't actually install any of the other apps to see if they work. Most of the time I'm using android auto so its not a problem for me but I plan on getting it looked at when I bring my car in for its first scheduled service.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
By Buick Shop App are you referring to the Apps Icon on the second screen of icons or is this some other app you installed via this icon and downloaded to the infotainment unit?

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
I had the same problem. Called Onstar and they were no help. Escalated to another team which calls back in a week. By the time they did, I had fixed it. To fix it, I did a complete factory reset on the Infotainment system.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I did do that recently when my LDW stopped beeping but I guess I can do it again.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So after quite a bit of working on this with OnStar, the dealer and engineering I was told they were aware of the issue but at this point they have no resolution. That was Tuesday. Then yesterday for some reason I decided to give this another go and much to my surprise it loaded the apps page. So before it failed I started to download the apps I wanted. While trying to download the marketplace it appeared to fail so I went in for the night. When I came out this morning it downloaded EVERY app. I only selected a few so I am not sure why I have all of them. If that was Buick's intent to just load all of them, why not do this from the factory? Anyway, wondering if anyone else had all the apps download or if this is indicative of something else that still isn't quite right. I did connect the system to my phone so I could try some of the apps but was only able to set up a couple at stop lights but they do seem functional thus far. So I am hoping it is all good now.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
I've been trying to load the Weather Channel app on my wife's red-needle 2018, but it keeps telling me it can't. There aren't a whole lot of Apps to pick from, the Weather channel seemed the only real App to try.

Maybe something changed and I can try it again in the morning. Does it require the OnStar Data connection or will it load over WiFi?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Maybe something changed and I can try it again in the morning. Does it require the OnStar Data connection or will it load over WiFi?
I was able to download the apps by connecting to my home wifi

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I've been trying to load the Weather Channel app on my wife's red-needle 2018, but it keeps telling me it can't. There aren't a whole lot of Apps to pick from, the Weather channel seemed the only real App to try.

Weather Channel app is the only one I have downloaded and want.

Does NOT require OnStar. I use the “Personal Hotspot” WiFi from either my iPhone 5 or my 5s.
It works for me.

BTW, the Weather Channel app is not a good app. I normally just check “MyRadar” app on my iPhones.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
My apps are mostly OK on the 1st-version infotainment system. Two big peeves are that I can't access the owner's manual (on the dash or my phone) and now that I don't use the car's 4G (for now), it takes forever to hotspot the car to my phone. The car doesn't see the phone's network for a few minutes but things are smooth once it finally acknowledges it. It does see my home and neighbors' wi-fi right away but something about the phone takes a while.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
My apps are mostly OK on the 1st-version infotainment system. Two big peeves are that I can't access the owner's manual (on the dash or my phone) and now that I don't use the car's 4G (for now), it takes forever to hotspot the car to my phone. The car doesn't see the phone's network for a few minutes but things are smooth once it finally acknowledges it. It does see my home and neighbors' wi-fi right away but something about the phone takes a while.
I find the fasted way to connect is (on my iPhone) BEFORE I get in car, power iPhone on, from Settings go to Personal Hotspot, even though Hotspot was already on. Leave that screen on, only then open car door. My connection is almost immediate, sometimes even before I push start button.

If I wait until after I start car before I go to Personal Hotspot, it takes much longer.

Good luck

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I had the same problem. Called Onstar and they were no help. Escalated to another team which calls back in a week. By the time they did, I had fixed it. To fix it, I did a complete factory reset on the Infotainment system.
Was there a downside to factory reset, like needing to know passwords or is it just doing thru setup again?

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
Was there a downside to factory reset, like needing to know passwords or is it just doing thru setup again?
It was six months ago, so going by memory here . . .

For basic setup, no downside other than resetting radio presets.

For using the apps, you need to know your GM/Buick username and password.

I think I also had to reset up my WiFi hotspot settings using the Onstar app.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
It was six months ago, so going by memory here . . .

For basic setup, no downside other than resetting radio presets.

For using the apps, you need to know your GM/Buick username and password.

I think I also had to reset up my WiFi hotspot settings using the Onstar app.
Thanks Bud... I assume that is same as Buick rewards password.. I dont use onstar so we will see.
Have not really messed with more advanced features on TourX other then presets, wifi, and bluetooth setup.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I don't recall implications of reset but it never worked for me. For some reason mine started working right after the dealer told me I was SOL.

Banto

Buick Ownership
Thanks Bud... I assume that is same as Buick rewards password.. I dont use onstar so we will see.
Have not really messed with more advanced features on TourX other then presets, wifi, and bluetooth setup.
Yep, same password as Buick Rewards.