• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Infotainment update and the dealership

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I hate dealers, I've worked at em before, I'm a master tech of 20 years...my 19 tourx has radio software 21.1 in it. We all know they are on 22.9. Dropped the car off last week for an oil change (it was free) and a software update to the radio. My car won't OTA the update, the bulletin makes note of that issue on some cars. Soni said it needs an update. They tell me there is no update...effin hell, really? Yeah there is, here it the bulletin etc etc.

I have another appt this Saturday, just got off the phone with the service advisor. How is it these guys are so clueless...I get they can't know every issue with every vehicle. But seriously, TSBs...the tech didn't look for any, the advisor didn't look at any...they all seem clueless. My issue is if I go-to another dealer will it be any better? If I could download the damn file I would, cause your supposed to put it on a thumb drive and stick it in the radio. So far as I know that's it. Anyone else have any info I can give the dealer to get this stupid simple task done?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
If that dealer won't update your car try another dealer. Its not worth the time to try to convince them it needs to be done, they need to just do it.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Provide them with your issues and the TSB number. Print it off and hand it to them if you have to.

I would find out who the tech is that’s working on your car and bring him some coffee and donuts in the morning and have a nice chat about what you found and your background.

myredcar

CT
Buick Ownership
2015 Lacrosse Leather 3.6
I hate dealers, I've worked at em before, I'm a master tech of 20 years...my 19 tourx has radio software 21.1 in it. We all know they are on 22.9. Dropped the car off last week for an oil change (it was free) and a software update to the radio. My car won't OTA the update, the bulletin makes note of that issue on some cars. Soni said it needs an update. They tell me there is no update...effin hell, really? Yeah there is, here it the bulletin etc etc.

I have another appt this Saturday, just got off the phone with the service advisor. How is it these guys are so clueless...I get they can't know every issue with every vehicle. But seriously, TSBs...the tech didn't look for any, the advisor didn't look at any...they all seem clueless. My issue is if I go-to another dealer will it be any better? If I could download the damn file I would, cause your supposed to put it on a thumb drive and stick it in the radio. So far as I know that's it. Anyone else have any info I can give the dealer to get this stupid simple task done?
As you know, you cannot force them to do anything. You also cannot necessarily trust them to do it if they say they will. They have to want to do it for the relationship or whatever. Not sure that a cup of coffee and donuts will do it; but, that's the general idea. I just had an outstanding dealer experience for a TSB out of warranty repair (not software). It was so exceptional that it has me checking my pockets to see if something's missing. Not sure what made it work so well except that I escalated it to the General Manager. This was the non-confrontational approach of, " I understand that your policy may not allow you to help me but, who do you suggest that I speak with then?" I got lucky with someone who takes customer satisfaction really seriously. No argument and he knew what I needed without even having to ask. This dealer is 100 miles away and knows that I will not be going to him on a regular basis. In the end, I cannot count on this kind of treatment which drives me to do as much as I can myself. I am very tempted to set myself up with an MDI tool and a TIS2Web subscription for that reason. DIY on my wife's car has other consequences though that need to be considered carefully as well. Anyway, a different dealer and donuts both suggest the same basic truth.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah i mean I know how it works, i was the guy on the other end for years. But as a diagnostic tech, this is a no brainier to me. I've keept my cool about it and I'm gonna give em one more chance to fix it, tomorrow. If the don't pull through im go. A call the other 2 dealers close/closeish to me. I wish I could just get the file and do it myself. If you own a Ford apperantly that is your responsibility, they tell you where to get the file and how to do it.

I can't believe though that this dealer which does GMC Buick and caddy they no one has updated a radio, it's just not possible. Same basic units are in all their cars. But Saturdays tend to have skeleton crews. Hopefully the precall I made yesterday got the ball rolling enough to have them ready to go.

I still love the car lol. But it will only ever see the dealer for warranty work and recalls

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
Is there any reason we should get the update? Just curious, I’m at 21.1 still also, it won’t do any OTA when I try, it says none available. Are there security patches? Everything is working fine on mine, so I tend to think - if it ain’t broke...

Toppa

MN
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I think the update needs to be installed via USB. The dealer I use for service tried to do an OTA update check it and said "no update needed". they ended up having to call GM because even the USB update was giving them trouble. Took a couple hours to get through all that.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Oy I'm at 30% oil life and was hopping to get my infotainment update done at my next service. Hopefully because my dealer has sold roughly about 12-14 Sportbacks to the 2 TourX they have sold they might be up to speed on how to update.

Banjo

Buick Ownership
2018 Reagal GS
I m still on Version 21.9.... It works well. I figured how to use it and Set it up to Work. I want 22.9.Does anyone have the 22.9 update. Does it make a noticeable improvement in the systems operation.?

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I've seen a lot of the bugs that 22.9 fixes. Dissapering back up lines, phone connects but shows device not found when trying to stream music, volume control getting stuck in voice command volume, etc etc. I've postponed the dealer visit due to the quarantine. Just something that isnt not important with everything going on in the world right now. And I'm gonna call other dealers to find one that's done this before. I'd rather drive to a place where I know it will get done quick and easily.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I had mine updated from 21.7 to 22.9 during the same service visit for the lower control arm TSB. My dealer in Mansfield Ohio was great - they ordered the parts per the TSB ahead of time, my total time at the dealership was about 3 hours for the lower control arm replacement, alignment, tire rotation, oil change, and software update. They said the software update portion was about 45 minutes of that time.

Before the software update I had the usual bugs: backup lines disappear, system would reboot when an incoming call if I had Apple Car Play working. After the update to 22.9 the system has been more stable, and even a bit faster. Once and a while factory Navigation will not finish loading and I have to manually "stop" the app (then it automatically restarts) which is not a big deal.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I m still on Version 21.9.... It works well. I figured how to use it and Set it up to Work. I want 22.9.Does anyone have the 22.9 update. Does it make a noticeable improvement in the systems operation.?
If you have (pay for) live traffic on the built in Nav it probably won't work with 21.9 after some update that they did late last year. That's what prompted me to get it applied. Yes, before anyone says it, I know, I can use my phone and car play to get maps and traffic.

It sort of fixes other stuff but not completely. I still have reverse lines disappear sometimes and the Nav system has done some strange things that if I change to a different profile it works fine, possibly I need to do a reset of the system, just haven't wanted to take the time to reinstall all the apps again.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I had mine updated from 21.7 to 22.9 during the same service visit for the lower control arm TSB. My dealer in Mansfield Ohio was great - they ordered the parts per the TSB ahead of time, my total time at the dealership was about 3 hours for the lower control arm replacement, alignment, tire rotation, oil change, and software update. They said the software update portion was about 45 minutes of that time.

Before the software update I had the usual bugs: backup lines disappear, system would reboot when an incoming call if I had Apple Car Play working. After the update to 22.9 the system has been more stable, and even a bit faster. Once and a while factory Navigation will not finish loading and I have to manually "stop" the app (then it automatically restarts) which is not a big deal.
How did you manually stop the Nav app that would not finish loading? When mine won’t load, I shut car off, get out of car, walk around car for about one Minute, get back in and start car. Nav so far always comes back on.

22.9 had NOT fixed my audio presets from graying out once or twice a week. Depending on how many gray out, it takes me from one to four minutes to reset.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
How did you manually stop the Nav app that would not finish loading? When mine won’t load, I shut car off, get out of car, walk around car for about one Minute, get back in and start car. Nav so far always comes back on.

22.9 had NOT fixed my audio presets from graying out once or twice a week. Depending on how many gray out, it takes me from one to four minutes to reset.
Re the Nav: two times in about 6 months I've noticed the Nav never finishes loading. After I start the car and start driving, on the main home screen (radio, phone, and Nav on the right side) the Nav section just says "Navigation loading......". At a stop light, go to settings, then running application (I don't remember if there is a step in between) and there is a choice to "stop" each running application. If you click "stop" next to Navigation, the system will display a warning message, click "Ok". the Nav app restarts and reboots right up. No need to stop and restart the whole car.

Re grayed out presets - I've not had that problem, but then I only have AM and FM stations set, I don't subscribe to XM.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So I am a red needler. But wanted to throw something out there for the white needle folks with an observation I've made to see if it would carry over to their white needled cars.

My system loads quickly and consistently almost all the time. But if I leave navigation as the LAST application open before I turn the car off, it takes a long time for my system to boot up during the next startup. It's as if it is treating navigation as a priority requiring more RAM memory instead of opening it in the background.

Has anyone made a point of changing the radio's input to something other than navigation (like FM) before they turn off the car? Therefore prioritizing a less demanding input and freeing up system resources upon next startup?

Any chance this would help with backup lines disappearing, etc.?. Of course, I'm just throwing darts with my eyes closed here.

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
So I am a red needler. But wanted to throw something out there for the white needle folks with an observation I've made to see if it would carry over to their white needled cars.

My system loads quickly and consistently almost all the time. But if I leave navigation as the LAST application open before I turn the car off, it takes a long time for my system to boot up during the next startup. It's as if it is treating navigation as a priority requiring more RAM memory instead of opening it in the background.

Has anyone made a point of changing the radio's input to something other than navigation (like FM) before they turn off the car? Therefore prioritizing a less demanding input and freeing up system resources upon next startup?

Any chance this would help with backup lines disappearing, etc.?. Of course, I'm just throwing darts with my eyes closed here.
I almost never use nav and the lines vanish. Along with the other issues. It's not using nav last before turning off the car that's causing it.

landsharkmz3

I still have the disappearing lines after the update. I very rarely use the map. I am almost always on the audio screen.

I was hoping 22.9 would revamp the boot sequence and fix the problem... but nope. If they can't fix it in a boot sequence, then it means they cheaped out too hard on the hardware. The automotive industry is notorious for cutting out any headroom to cost optimize literally every single penny in a controller.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
I'm still at 21.1 [w/ white needles] and have never had the back-up guide lines disappear--but I don't have the NAV option or use anything else other than a USB for music. I believe someone mentioned before on this forum that the processing power of the HMI module is quite primitive when compared to other contemporary computing devices. If you look at the Harman INFO3 box, it looks like one honking-huge heat sink--but the only IC it is in contact with is the audio amp chip. All the other IC's inside (including the processors) are 'normally aspirated'. As @landsharkmz3 suggests, it could be the boot sequence and/or the app drivers--and since GM doesn't publish any change logs for what the upgrades actually contain we're left in the dark--but it does allow for some interesting conjecture...

Turbo Buick Badge