• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Installed the Spoiler on My LaCrosse

Kevs Lucerne

Buick Ownership
Buick
This weekend I installed the rear spoiler on my 2011 LaCrosse. I hope this tutorial will help anyone wanting to put this on their car or help decide if this is something they want to tackle themselves.

It would have taken me about an hour to do this, but I decided I wanted to add silicone sealer on the underside of the spoiler since you have to drill through the lid to attach it. So off to the store I went.

The holes diameters on the template are all oversized except the the far left and right ones. These are locator holes and need to be drilled as indicated. Otherwise the rest are clearance holes and since I only have SAE drill bits, I went the next size down.

Well packaged!

Before:

Template laid out and taped.

Here's where it gets real - drilling into a new car's trunk lid.

You will need a trim removal tool. It's a forked end tool to pry the christmas tree fasteners off of the trunk liner. These are about $8 at a car parts store.

On the underside of the spoiler are foam ring gaskets around each bolt. I wanted to be sure no water would leak in so I added silicone sealant inside each of these then placed the spoiler on the car. When the bolts are tightened the sealant oozes in and gives a nice fill.

Kevs Lucerne

Buick Ownership
Buick
To get the trunk to open and close properly the tension spring needs to be moved to the more rearward notch. Pry off the trim fasteners at the top and peel the cover back.

Reverse the installation steps and put everything back in place.

So now, the "After" shot:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Great job, you've got big ones :)

Kevs Lucerne

Buick Ownership
Buick
It's a 2011 CXS Touring. Great looking car in the white diamond IMO.

The spoiler would look great on a CX or CXL. Or Premium 1, 2, 3, or Touring in 2012 model terms.

The trunk popped open all the way before the spoiler was on. Now with the spring in the new position it usually does not, but flips up with very little effort. The directions say the cold weather may inhibit full opening by itself, so maybe it will when things warm up.

Last edited:

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
Your post just made my day! Thanks Kev!

So..... there IS a way to adjust spring tension after all! Awesome. Until this morning, my trunk did not automatically swing open when opened via the fob. Now it does!

In my case, I tried moving both springs to the farthermost hole but it still would not auto-open. It was, however, VERY close. What I ended up doing is moving one of the springs to the OUTSIDE of the attachment bracket (since I needed more tension). It looks like it would hold there on its own but just in case I used a twist tie to secure it and keep it from slipping up. Anyone who decides to do this will know what I mean after they take off the cover and see where the spring attaches. Look at post #2, picture #1 and imagine the spring moved about an inch to the left where it rests on the OUTSIDE of the fastener, close to the bottom. Love it!

pogster

Alberta
Your post just made my day! Thanks Kev!

So..... there IS a way to adjust spring tension after all! Awesome. Until this morning, my trunk did not automatically swing open when opened via the fob. Now it does!

In my case, I tried moving both springs to the farthermost hole but it still would not auto-open. It was, however, VERY close. What I ended up doing is moving one of the springs to the OUTSIDE of the attachment bracket (since I needed more tension). It looks like it would hold there on its own but just in case I used a twist tie to secure it and keep it from slipping up. Anyone who decides to do this will know what I mean after they take off the cover and see where the spring attaches. Look at post #2, picture #1 and imagine the spring moved about an inch to the left where it rests on the OUTSIDE of the fastener, close to the bottom. Love it!
So if I'm understanding you correctly by going the extra step of moving the one spring to the outside position your trunk lid will now rise on its own? Does your car have a spoiler?

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
So if I'm understanding you correctly by going the extra step of moving the one spring to the outside position your trunk lid will now rise on its own? Does your car have a spoiler?
Yes, it will now rise on its own. I do not have a spoiler.

It now rises nicely, slowly, exactly as I imagine it should. It's below freezing outside as well, so it should now auto-raise under all conditions.

I'm getting the feeling that GM used more than one type of spring because some LaCrosses will have the trunk open on its own, others will not. So, thanks to Kev, I found a workaround for that!

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 w/ spoiler...

It's chilly today so I was only willing to put forth a small amount of effort. I only removed 1 plug from each side (they're in there pretty tight) and was then able to bend the trunk liner enough to use a pair of pliers to move the springs to the rearward notches. There is decent force on the springs. If the pliers had slipped and the spring sucked itself back up higher into the trim area, I wouldn't have been happy. I was careful, it went fine. With both sides on the more rearward notches the trunk does lift easier and isn't far from doing it on it's own but I'm not positive that it would have risen on it's own even back further given the weight of the spoiler- it was getting close though. I'm not really sure how to get a good permanent attachment behind the back side of the bracket without removing more trim than I felt like doing today. A twist-tie? Umm... can you further explain that attachment? I put both springs back in their original positions and buttoned her back up for now. Someone else (maybe with a garage) can take it to the next level- when you do... take a couple pics for us :)

HilarityEnsues

Bad eMail Address
Virginia
Buick Ownership
1994 Buick Century (SOLD... to some sucker) & 2009 Buick Lacrosse CX
It's a 2011 CXS Touring. Great looking car in the white diamond IMO.

The spoiler would look great on a CX or CXL. Or Premium 1, 2, 3, or Touring in 2012 model terms.

The trunk popped open all the way before the spoiler was on. Now with the spring in the new position it usually does not, but flips up with very little effort. The directions say the cold weather may inhibit full opening by itself, so maybe it will when things warm up.
Well as long as you don't claim your spoiler gave your FWD car an extra 20+ hp, Its fine in my book.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2Umm... can you further explain that attachment?
The twist ties only purpose it to keep the spring from slipping upward and off the bracket. The springs already seem to be holding just fine behind the bracket, this was just a little extra security. I don't really know if it would make much difference in the end but it's better than nothing. A better way would be to Dremel a little notch into the back of the bracket for the spring wire to wedge into. Alternately, some sort of a clip attached to the bracket positioned above the spring to keep it from sliding upward.

I'm sure someone here will come up with a proper solution. I only spent minutes on this. I'm happy with my result though!

P.S. I've since moved the other spring behind the bracket as well. In my original post I indicated that I only had to move one there to get the trunk to lift. This worked initially but after the car sat for a few hours, it would once again not open on its own. Moving the other spring addressed this.

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
The twist ties only purpose it to keep the spring from slipping upward and off the bracket. The springs already seem to be holding just fine behind the bracket, this was just a little extra security. I don't really know if it would make much difference in the end but it's better than nothing. A better way would be to Dremel a little notch into the back of the bracket for the spring wire to wedge into. Alternately, some sort of a clip attached to the bracket positioned above the spring to keep it from sliding upward.

I'm sure someone here will come up with a proper solution. I only spent minutes on this. I'm happy with my result though!

P.S. I've since moved the other spring behind the bracket as well. In my original post I indicated that I only had to move one there to get the trunk to lift. This worked initially but after the car sat for a few hours, it would once again not open on its own. Moving the other spring addressed this.
I don't have a Dremel but like that idea better than just letting it sit back there, at least on mine it looked as though it would be somewhat precariously perched and any small bump might knock it off.

So what is the other end of the spring coil hooked to? Any way to adjust that end too?
I didn't see the other end of the spring. Good question.

As I'm doing this, I'm trying to think if having the trunk lid pop up is a desirable trait for me or not. My fobs never accidentally open the trunk (as some others have reported). When my latch releases it just clicks and doesn't appear to have opened at all. I just wonder if that wouldn't keep things a little more secure/dry in case of a glitch. The thought of going out to a car wide open isn't great. I'm definitely interested is seeing where this thread leads but not sure it's really for me. I guess with hands full of groceries it might come in handy but up until now I've never had a trunk lid raise on it's own have gotten by all right. Carry on, I'll be watching :)

Barry

Palm Springs, CA.
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Mocha Steel Prem. pkg, chrome wheels HUD, 2013 Verano Turbo Mocha Bronze Metallic.
Kev, I looked at my trunk and want to change the spring tension. How do I get the lil plastic rivits out without ruining them? I did some pulling and nada.....I can see the spring but need to pop a couple of those rivits to get to it.

pogster

Alberta
Kev, I looked at my trunk and want to change the spring tension. How do I get the lil plastic rivits out without ruining them? I did some pulling and nada.....I can see the spring but need to pop a couple of those rivits to get to it.
Those rivets are called christmas tree fasteners or clips and can be removed with one of those forked door panel removers or even a flat pry bar for pulling nails. Just get the tool under the head and pry them out. If one breaks they are only about two bits from your dealership or parts store. If you only need one or two they may just give them to you.