• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Installed the Spoiler on My LaCrosse

Kevs Lucerne

Buick Ownership
Buick
Kev, I looked at my trunk and want to change the spring tension. How do I get the lil plastic rivits out without ruining them? I did some pulling and nada.....I can see the spring but need to pop a couple of those rivits to get to it.

Pogster has the quoted text right from the start of my write up.
The tool can be seen in the first picture of a tutorial I did on installing NAV in a Saturn Outlook we used to own.

See the tool on the far left in the first picture here:
http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=294.0

Use the tool to pry the top of the christmas tree fastener out. It will look a little mangled but will be reusable. Replacment fasteners can be bought cheaply at any car parts store. Take the old one in to match it up if needed.

Last edited:

MHT

Indiana
You can take a regular eating fork and remove the middle prong and take a set of pliers and adjust the two remaining prongs inward as needed to remove those christmas tree fasteners. Just make sure it's an old fork that you don't need.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
Those rivets are called christmas tree fasteners or clips and can be removed with one of those forked door panel removers or even a flat pry bar for pulling nails. Just get the tool under the head and pry them out. If one breaks they are only about two bits from your dealership or parts store. If you only need one or two they may just give them to you.
The fasteners which need to be removed to gain access to the springs are NOT christmas tree fasteners. At least, assuming that the christmas tree fastener is what I think it is (I've had them on older cars).

These have a center plug which you lift out by inserting a flat screw driver into the notch which is part of the fastener head. You pry out the center plug and then the fastener can easily be lifted out.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
When I did this, they looked like the round style in pogster's link so I think they probably are xmas tree style.

pogster

Alberta
The fasteners which need to be removed to gain access to the springs are NOT christmas tree fasteners. At least, assuming that the christmas tree fastener is what I think it is (I've had them on older cars).

These have a center plug which you lift out by inserting a flat screw driver into the notch which is part of the fastener head. You pry out the center plug and then the fastener can easily be lifted out.

I know the fasteners you speak of but that's not what is used in my car so it must vary as to the type of fastener used.

8-track

Buick Ownership
Buick
Nice over view & it looks good on the car, but a couple of things for those who may wish to install a spoiler. First the pick marks aren't in the wrong location the entire polymer sheet is die cut, including the pr$%k punches, at one time. The overlay ink is after the fact & not relevant. Secondly you should drill the holes with a sheet metal drill not a standard machine drill. the sheet metal drill will cut a clean smooth hole without deforming the sheet metal. Next don't use silicone, this defeats the purpose of the butal rubber around each stud in the spoiler.

bausert

Buick Ownership
2019 lacrosse
This weekend I installed the rear spoiler on my 2011 LaCrosse. I hope this tutorial will help anyone wanting to put this on their car or help decide if this is something they want to tackle themselves.

It would have taken me about an hour to do this, but I decided I wanted to add silicone sealer on the underside of the spoiler since you have to drill through the lid to attach it. So off to the store I went.

The holes diameters on the template are all oversized except the the far left and right ones. These are locator holes and need to be drilled as indicated. Otherwise the rest are clearance holes and since I only have SAE drill bits, I went the next size down.

Well packaged!

Before:

Template laid out and taped.

Here's where it gets real - drilling into a new car's trunk lid.

You will need a trim removal tool. It's a forked end tool to pry the christmas tree fasteners off of the trunk liner. These are about $8 at a car parts store.

On the underside of the spoiler are foam ring gaskets around each bolt. I wanted to be sure no water would leak in so I added silicone sealant inside each of these then placed the spoiler on the car. When the bolts are tightened the sealant oozes in and gives a nice fill.

Trying to see your pictures but can't , are you still in the forum

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Yes too, posts are way old though. Not sure at all about that one, a deck spoiler on a LaCrosse😳 Don’t believe the aerodynamics or performance of the car really requires such. The rear creates a vacuum of its own quite well, first thing that gets dirty. Those were designed for speeds of around 150MPH +.

The intent is to apply a down pressure on rear but quite futile without the front air dam. The ricers are big on those, even adjustable lmao. Back when, they’d have them set for drag chute status, not a clue as to theory behind them, angled to lift up back end😆9FBA26BA-4B4B-439F-AA05-D96FEA453D5D.jpeg

Last edited:

bausert

Buick Ownership
2019 lacrosse
Yes too, posts are way old though. Not sure at all about that one, a deck spoiler on a LaCrosse😳 Don’t believe the aerodynamics or performance of the car really requires such. The rear creates a vacuum of its own quite well, first thing that gets dirty. Those were designed for speeds of around 150MPH +.

The intent is to apply a down pressure on rear but quite futile without the front air dam. The ricers are big on those, even adjustable lmao. Back when, they’d have them set for drag chute status, not a clue as to theory behind them, angled to lift up back end😆View attachment 15637
Thanks for the reply , just trying to make the back of the car look better

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
I can’t say too much either, other car has one but came with it. A few have changed them over on the Boss302 forum, it can be done. Didn’t mean to discourage just MHO.

bausert

Buick Ownership
2019 lacrosse
I can’t say too much either, other car has one but came with it. A few have changed them over on the Boss302 forum, it can be done. Didn’t mean to discourage just MHO.
You didn't , we have a member Kev Lucerne who has done it and posted pictures , but I can't open the pictures

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Me either, may be something that should of been added at the factory. One of the free photo apps wanted to start charging and any of their photos posted have been blanked on posts, those that didn’t want to buy in. Could of happened here too?

bausert

Buick Ownership
2019 lacrosse
Me either, may be something that should of been added at the factory. One of the free photo apps wanted to start charging and any of their photos posted have been blanked on posts, those that didn’t want to buy in. Could of happened here too?
Good idea , maybe that's what happened . Maybe I'll hear from the web master and he could help

Pedal Commander