• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Instrument panel: How to keep it bright?

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
About the only thing I'm a little bothered about with my LaCrosse, a 2016, is that the lighting of the instrument panel seems to have its own logic. At night, of course, it's as bright as you could want, and I can dim it if I feel like it. But in daylight . . . Yesterday I drove home in a steady rain, which naturally made the interior of the car rather gloomy. The instrument lighting did not come on. The gauges and controls (I've set the main readout to the Sport theme with the old-style analog speedometer) were all visible, of course. But I wished for the bright lighting. When I got home and drove in under the trees along the main lane, then the bright lighting came back.

Is there any way to fool the light sensor into thinking it's night? Cover the little sensor dome atop the dashboard?

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have the same issues. Lighting has a mind of its own. I'm always able to dim them if they're too bright and brighten them up if too dim though. Not sure why yours wouldn't work that way.

And yes; covering the sensor will fool it into thinking it's dark. I use an opaque reflective windshield cover every time I park the car in sunlight. The dash lights are always in the 'night' mode until I move the shade.

I'm driving a 2015 LaCrosse, so I can't be sure everything is the same.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
I have the same issues. Lighting has a mind of its own. I'm always able to dim them if they're too bright and brighten them up if too dim though. Not sure why yours wouldn't work that way.

And yes; covering the sensor will fool it into thinking it's dark. I use an opaque reflective windshield cover every time I park the car in sunlight. The dash lights are always in the 'night' mode until I move the shade.

I'm driving a 2015 LaCrosse, so I can't be sure everything is the same.
I'll find something dark to cover the little dome before I head home today. I't supposed to rain this afternoon, so I can see if it works. The problem isn't a big one; I can see the controls and operate the A/C. But one of the things I like about this car is the bright sharp white-and-blue lighting.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
Update,

The instrument lighting stayed bright all the way home yesterday without my doing a thing; and the day was cloudy, but not as gloomy as the rainy day on Tuesday. Darned if I can figure this out.

Pedal Commander