• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Intelligent Assist Brakes

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
I am here today to praise the intelligent assist brake function on our 2010 Buick LaCrosse. When we were considering this car, I did not understand what this feature provided. A search revealed that, when the brake pedal is applied quickly and strongly, the brake system augments the force that is being applied to minimize the stopping distance. Apparently, the typical driver does not fully apply the braking potential even in a panic stopping situation. I, of course, thought that this was a feature that I would never use simply because I am a cautious driver.

Last Friday evening as we were traveling home at dusk on Highway 7 in Tennessee at the posted speed limit of 55 MPH, my wife first and then I detected two deer standing on the highway in our lane at the outer limits of the HID lights (about 150 feet). I jabbed the brake pedal but I know that I did not press as hard as I possibly could. However, the intelligent brake assist function took over.

I expected the car to nose dive but, instead, it was more a sensation of the car simply squatting down on the tires to maximize the tread contact and weight on the tires. The anti-lock brakes chattered even though we were on dry asphalt pavement. This allowed me to steer so as to hit the foremost deer with the center of the bumper.

Amazingly, we came to such a quick stop that the front bumper only bumped the foremost deer. Both deer then bounded away into the woods on the side of the road. There was a patch of sticky dust on the bumper but no damage at all. I searched the front of the car and the road surface but found no blood drops.

I thank the Lord and His protective angels as well as the Buick engineers for developing and including the intelligent assist brakes on our 2010 Buick LaCrosse. We are thankful too that this allowed us to avoid hurting the deer.

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
I am here today to praise the intelligent assist brake function on our 2010 Buick LaCrosse. When we were considering this car, I did not understand what this feature provided. A search revealed that, when the brake pedal is applied quickly and strongly, the brake system augments the force that is being applied to minimize the stopping distance. Apparently, the typical driver does not fully apply the braking potential even in a panic stopping situation. I, of course, thought that this was a feature that I would never use simply because I am a cautious driver.

Last Friday evening as we were traveling home at dusk on Highway 7 in Tennessee at the posted speed limit of 55 MPH, my wife first and then I detected two deer standing on the highway in our lane at the outer limits of the HID lights (about 150 feet). I jabbed the brake pedal but I know that I did not press as hard as I possibly could. However, the intelligent brake assist function took over.

I expected the car to nose dive but, instead, it was more a sensation of the car simply squatting down on the tires to maximize the tread contact and weight on the tires. The anti-lock brakes chattered even though we were on dry asphalt pavement. This allowed me to steer so as to hit the foremost deer with the center of the bumper.

Amazingly, we came to such a quick stop that the front bumper only bumped the foremost deer. Both deer then bounded away into the woods on the side of the road. There was a patch of sticky dust on the bumper but no damage at all. I searched the front of the car and the road surface but found no blood drops.

I thank the Lord and His protective angels as well as the Buick engineers for developing and including the intelligent assist brakes on our 2010 Buick LaCrosse. We are thankful too that this allowed us to avoid hurting the deer.
This is certainly a good feature to have and I'm glad it worked so well for you. BUT...it's not new technology. It could be older, but I knowToyota had it in 2002 on the Lexus LS430 models. Mecedes has had it for a while too. Our 2006 Passat 4-Motion had it as well.

Americans were a little late to the game, but better late than never. There can be little doubt that the Big 3 were well aware of the technolgy when it came out...but chose to save some money and keep the bottom line more well padded.

For any reading who drive vehicles with ABS, but without this feature....remember to mash the pedal to load the system properly when you are confronted with an impending panic stop. In effect, that is what dynamic braking does if it senses anything other than a slow, controlled stop.

MikeERideWNC

Murphy, NC
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse
With as much ice and snow that is still on the ground in TN. We are lucky you are still here to post this.

I am glad to hear that you were able to stop in time.
This could have been much worse.
We need more hunters to help contain the deer population around here and there...

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick

Great story. I'm glad everyone involved escaped that confrontation safely (inc. the animals).

Pedal Commander