Interesting Chat w/ Buick Rep at Auto Show

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
She shared her perspective with me after she thanked me (as I mentioned, maybe you did not read that?) and spoke with me for another 10 minutes, asking me about this forum, etc. Your concerns were noted, acknowledged as valid, and addressed more than once in a cordial manner. I'm guessing you've had some bad experiences at that job. That must've been hard for you, I do get it, that would annoy me too. But I don't appreciate your insinuations. If I get an opportunity to talk to someone about a car, any car, anywhere, I'll do it if I feel like it. I only shared this here because it's an appropriate venue for it.

But if you want to conflate good, positive interactions with bad, I guess that is up to you.
In my first comment I didn't not mention you or your specific interaction as I was not there, and therefor cannot speak to it. I only offered my advise based on the interactions I have had, I think that is fair? The only part of your interaction I commented on was the joke you made, I don't even believe you were wrong to make it, I have just heard that many times in a non joking manner.

I did read all of your post, like all jobs it has it's good days and bad. And in this instance I think you weren't wrong, and I believe that the person you interacted with was genuinely interested with the TourX and this forum. They don't meet a ton of TourX owners I am sure and we are certainly more enthusiastic than most, as evidenced by this exchange and others.

95% of uncomfortable experiences at that job come from people wanting to help, that's why I made the initial comment. Like most (all?) jobs there is a certain amount of diplomatic management of those that you interact with. In my first post, and above all else (you referenced it in your first reply) that all of our perspectives are different and I wanted to share mine as someone who worked the floor.

Thanks

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
In my first comment I didn't not mention you or your specific interaction as I was not there, and therefor cannot speak to it. I only offered my advise based on the interactions I have had, I think that is fair? The only part of your interaction I commented on was the joke you made, I don't even believe you were wrong to make it, I have just heard that many times in a non joking manner.

I did read all of your post, like all jobs it has it's good days and bad. And in this instance I think you weren't wrong, and I believe that the person you interacted with was genuinely interested with the TourX and this forum. They don't meet a ton of TourX owners I am sure and we are certainly more enthusiastic than most, as evidenced by this exchange and others.

95% of uncomfortable experiences at that job come from people wanting to help, that's why I made the initial comment. Like most (all?) jobs there is a certain amount of diplomatic management of those that you interact with. In my first post, and above all else (you referenced it in your first reply) that all of our perspectives are different and I wanted to share mine as someone who worked the floor.

Thanks
It's fair to offer your advice based on your interactions, of course. We all should welcome comments, provided they're constructive. But the part where you said "the person whose job you were doing for them" came across as patronizing.

Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, and I say all this with sincerity and not anger. If the comment had been something like, "I'm only concerned because this is a tough part of my job, you wouldn't believe how many yahoos walk in and act obnoxious, chase customers off, etc." that would've been different.

I think all of us here (well let's call it nearly all of us) are respectful of others, we empathize with jobs that are tough and especially where you have to interact with the public...since I've been doing similar jobs and volunteering in large, public-facing roles since college, I'd like to think I get it. It does take diplomacy and a soft touch.

The point of this thread was simply to share a really positive interaction I had with potential future members of this forum (ha), and with those representing Buick. No hard feelings, and I hope your future auto show interactions go well.

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
It's fair to offer your advice based on your interactions, of course. We all should welcome comments, provided they're constructive. But the part where you said "the person whose job you were doing for them" came across as patronizing.

Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, and I say all this with sincerity and not anger. If the comment had been something like, "I'm only concerned because this is a tough part of my job, you wouldn't believe how many yahoos walk in and act obnoxious, chase customers off, etc." that would've been different.

I think all of us here (well let's call it nearly all of us) are respectful of others, we empathize with jobs that are tough and especially where you have to interact with the public...since I've been doing similar jobs and volunteering in large, public-facing roles since college, I'd like to think I get it. It does take diplomacy and a soft touch.

The point of this thread was simply to share a really positive interaction I had with potential future members of this forum (ha), and with those representing Buick. No hard feelings, and I hope your future auto show interactions go well.
I apologize that reply came off as patronizing. I did want to be frank, but I realize that was a bit too harsh and directed at you and a situation I was not part of.

Thanks for being an ambassador for Buick and being a great member of this community and others.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
I apologize that reply came off as patronizing. I did want to be frank, but I realize that was a bit too harsh and directed at you and a situation I was not part of.

Thanks for being an ambassador for Buick and being a great member of this community and others.
All good, thanks for the apology. And thanks to you as well in your roles of being a force for good. 😎

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I’m going to chime in with my two cents...I think it is great that you are enthusiastic about your wagon and are glad to share your enthusiasm with others wherever you may be.
I have come to the conclusion that Buick has very good vehicles and has done a lousy job marketing them in the US. My thought is that China has become their primary market and that most of their focus and probably dollars are in that large and growing market.
Furthermore I have become very aware of the fact that dealers by and large do a really lousy job of selling cars - no matter what the brand. If Buick is not doing what may be necessary to help dealers move product then everyone loses. Lease and finance offers that are aggressive would be an example of what is missing.
It is too bad because these are great cars and even greater values when compared to German imports. So the least that we enthusiasts can do is spread the word-no matter when or where.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.